Nerve Implant

Dolly

Author
Mar 15, 2013
Tinnitus Since
Does anybody know about the trials in America for nerve implant to retrain the brain re tinnitus, was wondering if there is anywhere in England doing to same and needed volunteers, I would willingly volunteer as I have tinnitus 24/7 that drives me potty.

Don't you mean cochlear implants? Why not try some other less drastic routes before considering implant? Check out the thread about retigabine in the treatment section for instance.

Does anybody know about the trials in America for nerve implant to retrain the brain re tinnitus, was wondering if there is anywhere in England doing to same and needed volunteers, I would willingly volunteer as I have tinnitus 24/7 that drives me potty.

Why don't you write to the company and see if they are planning European trials?

http://www.microtransponder.com/?page_id=107

What is

What is VNS?
Vagus Nerve Stimulation. It involved implantation of a bio electrode that stimulates the Vagus Nerve, aka the wandering nerve that connects to the brain stem. The belief is just as the brain learns tinnitus through cortical reorganization, that by playing paired tones in bursts, we can train the brain to filter tinnitus out. Whereas habituation is learning to accept tinnitus, VNS seeks to train the brain to literally ignore the perception. It's infantile science but the theory makes sense. MicroTransponder is currently conducting early phase research with such a system.

Vagus Nerve Stimulation. It involved implantation of a bio electrode that stimulates the Vagus Nerve, aka the wandering nerve that connects to the brain stem. The belief is just as the brain learns tinnitus through cortical reorganization, that by playing paired tones in bursts, we can train the brain to filter tinnitus out. Whereas habituation is learning to accept tinnitus, VNS seeks to train the brain to literally ignore the perception. It's infantile science but the theory makes sense. MicroTransponder is currently conducting early phase research with such a system.
Thanks for the explanation that's really interesting

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now