• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Neurotrophin 3 Regenerates Cochlear Synapses

I do wonder how difficult it will be to prove safety. The fact that the ear doesn't regenerate is the reason it's virtually cancer-free. If you activate regeneration, there could be unintended consequences that might not become apparent for decades.

I do wonder how difficult it will be to prove safety. The fact that the ear doesn't regenerate is the reason it's virtually cancer-free. If you activate regeneration, there could be unintended consequences that might not become apparent for decades.
Injecting this will most likely only make it regenerate for a short period instead of all the time. I don't think this is a big concern.

Injecting this will most likely only make it regenerate for a short period instead of all the time. I don't think this is a big concern.
I mean either way, if it works, sign us up, right?

Just have to figure out the regulatory hurdles.

Let's stay close, man. I see Dr. Maison on 8/26 and am flying to Boston from Austin to see him and get into the Mass Eye and Ear system in the event they're the ones that cure hearing loss, tinnitus, or hyperacusis.

I don't know if I'm as pessimistic about hearing loss and big pharma. Just formulate a drug that I have to take every day to suppress my tinnitus and hyperacusis. I'll gladly take that drug for life and be your customer.

What I'm more concerned about is the practice of audiology in the US, just slinging hearing aids endlessly like they're the cure-all we need. It costs, on average, nearly $5K USD for hearing aids, and that doesn't include appointments for fittings and adjustments. There's no guarantee hearing aids will even help tinnitus via TRT/masking mechanisms.

There's a long list of lobbyists and other interested actors that want to see to it that this model of hearing aid distributorship is never disrupted.
How did your appointment with Dr. Maison go?

How did your appointment with Dr. Maison go?
It went well, thanks for asking. His extended audiogram might help explain why I have hyperacusis in my right ear only. There was a notable difference in hearing between my left and right ears past the 8 kHz mark. Dr. Maison's theory is that cochlear synaptopathy and "hidden hearing loss" are likely at play, and he explained to me the research he has conducted over the years that led him to this conclusion.

If I can participate in a clinical trial next year for Cilcare's CIL001 drug, I will. I've signed all the necessary paperwork to be contacted about the study, and I believe I qualify based on the fact that I don't have any hearing loss on a pure tone audiogram but do have tinnitus (which I perceive more in my head than in any single ear) and hyperacusis in my right ear only.

Overall, Dr. Maison is an extremely knowledgeable clinician and researcher, and he is very well-connected. I believe he is one of the most important medical professionals globally in the field of audiology.

If I can participate in a clinical trial next year for Cilcare's CIL001 drug, I will. I've signed all the necessary paperwork to be contacted about the study, and I believe I qualify based on the fact that I don't have any hearing loss on a pure tone audiogram but do have tinnitus (which I perceive more in my head than in any single ear) and hyperacusis in my right ear only.
Do you have information on how to get on this study's list?

It went well, thanks for asking. His extended audiogram might help explain why I have hyperacusis in my right ear only. There was a notable difference in hearing between my left and right ears past the 8 kHz mark. Dr. Maison's theory is that cochlear synaptopathy and "hidden hearing loss" are likely at play, and he explained to me the research he has conducted over the years that led him to this conclusion.

Overall, Dr. Maison is an extremely knowledgeable clinician and researcher, and he is very well-connected. I believe he is one of the most important medical professionals globally in the field of audiology.
That is great to hear. Thank you for the update! I'd love to hear more about this CIL001 study, too!

Do you have information on how to get on this study's list?
I don't think the trial has been firmed up just yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on the NIH repository and will update this thread as soon as I learn more. Hopefully, there will be multiple recruitment sites or facilities. It might also involve just a single intratympanic shot, which means there may be no need to travel to Mass Eye and Ear in Boston. Instead, it could require only a few visits at most.

I don't have the link at hand, but Cilcare has stated they'll be conducting clinical trials in both Europe and America.

They are attending the World Congress of Audiology in Paris on September 19-22. For anyone interested, you'll find them at booth #43.

They're also attending the Inner Ear Biology Workshop in Warsaw this month.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now