New Buzzing Sound Out of Nowhere

sigridcornelia

Author
Aug 27, 2018
Tinnitus Since
June 17, 2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Combination of stress, anxiety, a cold and a flight.
Hello,

I have had tinnitus for 1 year and 8 months now. My tinnitus sounds like a high pitched beeeep, and I am almost habituated. It doesn't bother me that much, except when I'm having a spike, but that doesn't happen very often. So, my life is pretty good with tinnitus.

But yesterday I experienced this buzzing sensation in my head at work, and when I came home, I could hear a loud buzz on a low frequency. It all happened out of the blue, with seemingly no reason. It didn't go away and I can still hear it. It already lowered and it's easily masked by normal daily sounds, but it's still there.
I instantly got a panic attack because of the flashback to the acute stage that was horrible.

I don't want to go to this process of habituation again and I'm wondering if anyone has experienced something similar? If so, did the new tone go away eventually? My throat does ache a little, and I think I'm having a cold. So I'm hoping this new tone appeared because of the cold symptoms I have. I've never experienced something like this since the onset of my tinnitus, so I'm new to this (new tones).

Anyone?

Absolutely. I get multiple tones all the time but it all seems to eventually fade to my baseline tone. That said, I recently experienced a second tone which actually never went away. So there you go, both for me. Sounds like yours is the result of your recent cold.

Can't say yet. My recent repeated noise trauma gave me high pitched ringing in both ears, not too loud though. My static hissing in my right ear is still there, doesnt bother me though.

Thanks for your replies guys.

If anyone's experiencing something similar, I would like to share with you that the buzzing stopped. Yesterday I went to my fysiotherapist who is treating my jaw (i have TMJ). He did some stretching and gave me exercises, and within 2 hours after the consult, the buzzing sound stopped. I am not sure if the treatment had something to do with it, but I think there's a big chance. Besides that I used nasal spray, and it might have worked as well. If these two things weren't of any influence, it might have been just a random spike/fluctuation. Anyway, maybe this can give some of you hope, if you're experiencing the same.

I don't want to jinx anything, but for now the buzzing is really gone.

My tinnitus came in as a ringing hard tone, but about six or seven weeks in, it changed and I was hearing all sorts of crazy sounds. Buzzing, beeping, tea kettle, etc. I even woke up at night sometimes with an electrical zap feeling going on in my head. In the end, it went away and my tinnitus settled down into what it still is... A pretty simple ring/hiss sound. It took two or three weeks for things to settle down as I recall.

Habituated and living happily, only hop on here every now and then. I think that it is likely that it will go away for you too; even if it comes back in the next few days, just give it some time and see.

@Aaron44126 So glad you've habituated. Thanks for coming back with update. Do/did you only hear yours in a quiet room or do you hear it over all other sounds? I hear mine over everything (3 different sounds) and praying I can habituate.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now