New Noise Has Come with a Cold

That's what I've been told, the spike can take a while for it to go back to baseline. I woke up this morning and the spike seems a bit angry again I'm counting on it being like this for a few weeks.

I've been fine on NAC, I know for some it can spike their T, give them an upset stomach, read the NAC thread in treatments there is loads of info there.

Hoping your spike reduces soon, I've been steaming my face a few times a day with vix or olbas oil as well.

Shit we need our own version of 'do they know it's christmas.'.......Where's our fucking Geldof?!?

Shit we need our own version of 'do they know it's christmas.'.......Where's our fucking Geldof?!?

We'd have to sing quietly...I'd definitely have the earplugs and possibly muffs on for when we are all singing the chorus...

We will have to do it ASMR style, just soft sounds and voices with instruments at a low volume... earmuffs on, crying that one single tear down the cheeks

I know colds can spike some people's volume, my question is does it normally make a new sound and is it normal for it to spike so loud? Also how long does it normally take to subside if it does?

Still got a cold but it's fading. The new noise seems less angry today so I'm feeling a lot better. Could be a combination of the NAC and other supplements or it's just going away by itself? I'm hoping it'll continue to fade. Thanks again for the advice mate.

Hope you continue to feel better @Jcb. Colds are not fun at all with tinnitus.

@Jcb

Sorry to hear about your cold, and ridiculous new tone. Over the shower is too much. I hope you're doing well staying calm. Have you made any progress with the volume going down?

Can I ask where you are with t after one year? Have you made any progress with t or the associated symptoms and how is your mental state? No need to reply if you prefer not to go there.

Thanks for looking me up!

John

@Jcb

Sorry to hear about your cold, and ridiculous new tone. Over the shower is too much. I hope you're doing well staying calm. Have you made any progress with the volume going down?

Can I ask where you are with t after one year? Have you made any progress with t or the associated symptoms and how is your mental state? No need to reply if you prefer not to go there.

Thanks for looking me up!

John

Cold wise I feel better, still a bit sniffly but ok. Noise wise it's still quite aggressive and the volume has gone up and down the past day so I'm hoping it'll pass in a few weeks. It's the blocked ears that's annoying as well haha but I'm still steaming my face hoping they will clear up.

That's a hard question, I'm feeling more stable some days, others not so much but I've had a lot on personally the last 5 months so I think that's added to my stress levels a lot. I'm doing different things to try and stable my emotions and hoping they will kick in soon (no meds not that I'm against them just trying natural things) I think it's part of this journey, as I said I'm more hopeful some days but others I can get really down.

This cold has shook me a lot, especially since I got T right after a cold/ear infection, oddly enough I feel calmer about it now if that makes sense and I'm not contradicting myself.

If I look back to when I first got this I'm better in a someways but other ways I'm worse, it's hard to explain as one of the biggest issues is this weird brain fog/confusion I get. It's hard to concentrate and articulate things, I know what I want say but it's hard to put them into words, like writing this I'm probably making not much sense haha

This cold has shook me a lot, especially since I got T right after a cold/ear infection, oddly enough I feel calmer about it now if that makes sense and I'm not contradicting myself.

Makes a lot of sense @Jcb. You are year one so of course issues like colds will make things seem much more.
Glad you are calmer now. I remember those days.

I was hoping things were going better for you @Jcb . It sounds like you're getting a grasp on the situation but life keeps throwing curve balls.

Regarding the brain fog. I don't know if I'd call it a brain fog or just general lack of focus. I can assure you my brain isn't working the way it used to but for me it's more from lack of focus, lack of purpose. I'm sort of stuck in this what does it matter mode.

I've noticed a feeling of calm starting a few months back. I was so amped up on anxiety that at some point I came to the realization that whatever happens is going to happen. I was worried about some things and I thought to myself all you can do is what you can do and then see how things turn out. Not sure if that makes sense.

I hope your ears stop feeling blocked and the new noise goes down for you.

Makes a lot of sense @Jcb. You are year one so of course issues like colds will make things seem much more.
Glad you are calmer now. I remember those days.

Yeah it's been an emotional rollercoaster this year, that's for sure. Just keep on fighting eh

I was hoping things were going better for you @Jcb . It sounds like you're getting a grasp on the situation but life keeps throwing curve balls.

Regarding the brain fog. I don't know if I'd call it a brain fog or just general lack of focus. I can assure you my brain isn't working the way it used to but for me it's more from lack of focus, lack of purpose. I'm sort of stuck in this what does it matter mode.

I've noticed a feeling of calm starting a few months back. I was so amped up on anxiety that at some point I came to the realization that whatever happens is going to happen. I was worried about some things and I thought to myself all you can do is what you can do and then see how things turn out. Not sure if that makes sense.

I hope your ears stop feeling blocked and the new noise goes down for you.

Cheers newguy, I totally understand you are saying about worrying about things that really we shouldn't. I think that's the anxiety taking over, I know my anxiety and panic attacks have lessened but as you probably know it just comes out of nowhere and takes you down. I'm learning some breathing exercises etc to help and they do a bit but it can still bring you to your knees literally.

I agree with what will happen will happen, we can lesson certain things by being careful with noise etc but all we can do is take each day as it comes. It's a tough slug all this T business, it's takes a hold of every nook and cranny of your mind, body and soul (tad dramitic I know)

I'm sure you'll get your purpose back, it's going to take time so try and not be too hard on yourself buddy. I'm fighting with everything I have to stay afloat and trying to keep that hope of what tomorrow may bring.

I'm sure you'll get your purpose back, it's going to take time so try and not be too hard on yourself buddy. I'm fighting with everything I have to stay afloat and trying to keep that hope of what tomorrow may bring.
Very wise words, Jcb. Words that all of us here at TT need to "hear."

Very wise words, Jcb. Words that all of us here at TT need to "hear."

I do believe this, some days more than others but as I keep saying that lil optimist on my shoulder keeps pushing me forward.

@Jcb how are you doing?:) any updates?

Hey, thanks for asking man.

My cold and congestion has gone, noise wise it's back to baseline, I can still slightly hear one of the new tones that came with the cold but that's slowly going.

How's things with you? Has yours gone back to baseline?

Hey, thanks for asking man.

My cold and congestion has gone, noise wise it's back to baseline, I can still slightly hear one of the new tones that came with the cold but that's slowly going.

How's things with you? Has yours gone back to baseline?

Awesome news, i am happy for you:). Yes, mine also faded completely. The cold from november took around 1-2 months, the one from january just 2 weeks to fade back to baseline. No idea why there was such a difference....

Awesome news, i am happy for you:). Yes, mine also faded completely. The cold from november took around 1-2 months, the one from january just 2 weeks to fade back to baseline. No idea why there was such a difference....

Great stuff man :) I wonder if it was the severity of the cold or the fact you had two colds really close together? I suppose all that matters is that you are back to baseline eh

Great stuff man :) I wonder if it was the severity of the cold or the fact you had two colds really close together? I suppose all that matters is that you are back to baseline eh

I have honestly no idea, the first cold was very strange the volume went up and down for more than a month randomly. As soon as I felt better I catched another cold, but after a few days it went back to my old baseline very fast and since then it stayed there with just minor fluctuations. I also had each time different tones during the spike. So very strange.
But like you said, the important thing is that it got better:). But it is always so frightening because it feels always like being permanent.

I have honestly no idea, the first cold was very strange the volume went up and down for more than a month randomly. As soon as I felt better I catched another cold, but after a few days it went back to my old baseline very fast and since then it stayed there with just minor fluctuations. I also had each time different tones during the spike. So very strange.
But like you said, the important thing is that it got better:). But it is always so frightening because it feels always like being permanent.

Yeah that's what freaked me out the most ha ha the new tones then the volume seemed to increase to a unbelievable high. It then changed ears but I was a lot calmer when that happened, it took me about 2 months for the volume to go back down, it must of been all the crap clearing from the ears and tubes.

Hopefully we'll be better equipped to handle the new tones and volume increase if it happens again :)

Hey guys,

I've had a cold and with it came a blocked right ear and a new noise (which sounds like a electric kettle being used or it could be a weird hiss I'm not sure) the volume is crazy, like hear over shower crazy.

I'm extremely paranoid that this may be my new permanent sound as it all started around this time of year with a cold and ear infection. The new noise is in the ear where the volume has always been the lowest.

I know colds can spike some people's volume, my question is does it normally make a new sound and is it normal for it to spike so loud? Also how long does it normally take to subside if it does?

I'm not doing too good at all and I'm starting to feel like I did when I first got this. I would appreciate some advice, be honest with me.

Thanks everybody.

@dipp, read this and then compare to JCB's latest reply to you.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now