• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

New Reactive Whistling Tinnitus Sound — Will It Go Away?

MikeO123

Author
May 20, 2019
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
unknown
Hey everyone. I've had tinnitus for about a year now. I'm not sure how it started. I listen to music loud, work in a school with a bunch of screaming kids and have TMJ disorder so I guess any one of those could be a cause.

Up until last month I habituated to my tinnitus and got pretty lazy about protecting my ears because I pretty much forgot about my tinnitus.

In April I went to a wedding which was really loud and a week later I went on a school trip which was also very loud. Because of this my tinnitus spiked.

The hissing sound got more noticeable and higher pitched. Since then I would say I'm becoming more used to it and can deal with the hissing.

A few days ago a new whistling sound started. The hissing is still there along with this new sound. I'm worried that this new sound might stay and that even more sounds might start.

I'd love to know what you all think. Thank you for your help.

Just wanted to give an update on the situation. I've been trying to be careful and today I went to a restaurant. I had my earplugs ready to put in in case it was loud in the restaurant.

When I opened the door it made the loudest screech I ever heard and hurt. Now the whistling sound is louder and isn't stopping.

This happened 2 hours ago so I know it's early but it's really making me think it caused permanent damage and permanent change in my tinnitus. This whistling sound is driving me crazy.

@MikeO123 there's not much you can do. Your doctor and audiologist were right. You have to learn to ignore the sounds. :(

Keep an eye on the Lenire device from Neuromod... it can help!

Hey everyone. I've had tinnitus for about a year now. I'm not sure how it started. I listen to music loud, work in a school with a bunch of screaming kids and have TMJ disorder so I guess any one of those could be a cause.

Up until last month I habituated to my tinnitus and got pretty lazy about protecting my ears because I pretty much forgot about my tinnitus.

In April I went to a wedding which was really loud and a week later I went on a school trip which was also very loud. Because of this my tinnitus spiked.

The hissing sound got more noticeable and higher pitched. Since then I would say I'm becoming more used to it and can deal with the hissing.

A few days ago a new whistling sound started. The hissing is still there along with this new sound. I'm worried that this new sound might stay and that even more sounds might start.

I'd love to know what you all think. Thank you for your help.
This could be a temporary spike due to your recent noise exposures. I had a spike that lasted for a few months after my nephew screamed in my ear and another one after going to a very loud cinema screening that lasted a month. I think often when we get spikes we freak out emotionally and that makes the spike louder too. Best thing to do is probably to stay as chilled as possible, give a good few months at least and hope it calms down.

This could be a temporary spike due to your recent noise exposures. I had a spike that lasted for a few months after my nephew screamed in my ear and another one after going to a very loud cinema screening that lasted a month. I think often when we get spikes we freak out emotionally and that makes the spike louder too. Best thing to do is probably to stay as chilled as possible, give a good few months at least and hope it calms down.
That's good to hear that it might be temporary. I really hope so. When you get spikes do you get new sounds as well or would it just get louder?

That's good to hear that it might be temporary. I really hope so. When you get spikes do you get new sounds as well or would it just get louder?
I think I got a new up and down sound in my right ear after my nephew was screaming. That was what went away after a few months.

I have something very similar, whenever my fan is on I hear a high pitch whistle like sound fluttering with the fan noise. This also occurs with wind, rain, high pitch noise from the TV, and just about any sound that used to mask tinnitus.

It's like my tinnitus is creating noise over real sound and this specific tone only ever goes away when no white noise is present. It's been going on for a few days now.

I have something very similar, whenever my fan is on I hear a high pitch whistle like sound fluttering with the fan noise. This also occurs with wind, rain, high pitch noise from the TV, and just about any sound that used to mask tinnitus.

It's like my tinnitus is creating noise over real sound and this specific tone only ever goes away when no white noise is present. It's been going on for a few days now.
It took a couple weeks for me but it died down and now I don't even hear it. I just hear my tinnitus the way it was. I would give it some time and I'm sure it will get better for you.

Hey everyone. I'm experiencing a spike right now but it's strange. When there is silence my tinnitus is the same as it's been but if there's sound my tinnitus has a whistling, tea kettle sound that ramps up with the sound around me.

I had this once before and it went away but I'm concerned about what this is. Especially since it started last night. I went to the city yesterday but I wore ear protection and I was very careful and wasn't exposed to anything that I would think would really cause any acoustic trauma.

I was hoping you could all help me figure out hat this is and if it's temporary. Thank you.

Hey everyone. I'm experiencing a spike right now but it's strange. When there is silence my tinnitus is the same as it's been but if there's sound my tinnitus has a whistling, tea kettle sound that ramps up with the sound around me.

I had this once before and it went away but I'm concerned about what this is. Especially since it started last night. I went to the city yesterday but I wore ear protection and I was very careful and wasn't exposed to anything that I would think would really cause any acoustic trauma.

I was hoping you could all help me figure out hat this is and if it's temporary. Thank you.
You'll be fine like you did with your May spike too.

You'll be fine like you did with your May spike too.
I hope so, I'm concerned that this happened even when I was being really careful and wasn't exposed to anything that was extremely loud. It just makes me think anything can cause a spike now.

I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to share that I have had this same issue for about four months now. At first, the sounds seemed unremarkable, and no one thought they were real, but now I realize it may be reactive tinnitus overlapping real sounds.

It's a fluttering, whistling sound, like car brakes when you slowly come to a stop but in bursts of about 2 or 3 pulses every second or so, like a woo woo woo... pause... woo woo woo. White noise, water running, fans, and loud refrigerators cause it, and the volume tends to match the same source.

Did you also notice that it varies depending on the position relative to your ears? It seems to be worse when the sound source is to my side or behind me and less so if it is in front of me. If I Focus on the sound, it almost goes away.

I know this is a very old thread, but I just wanted to share that I have had this same issue for about four months now. At first, the sounds seemed unremarkable, and no one thought they were real, but now I realize it may be reactive tinnitus overlapping real sounds.

It's a fluttering, whistling sound, like car brakes when you slowly come to a stop but in bursts of about 2 or 3 pulses every second or so, like a woo woo woo... pause... woo woo woo. White noise, water running, fans, and loud refrigerators cause it, and the volume tends to match the same source.

Did you also notice that it varies depending on the position relative to your ears? It seems to be worse when the sound source is to my side or behind me and less so if it is in front of me. If I Focus on the sound, it almost goes away.
I have had the exact same thing going on for three months, although it was louder at the beginning. I only notice it when I focus on it. I think it's dysacusis rather than reactive tinnitus.

When I hear static sounds like white noise, fans, or car engines, high-pitched static tinnitus tries to compete with it. This is reactive tinnitus, in my opinion.

The dysacusis (if it's not too loud) is manageable, in my opinion. But reactive tinnitus is not. There is no habituation to something that changes in sound and behavior every day. If it doesn't go away, my life is done.

There is no habituation to something that changes in sound and behavior every day.
Yeah, that's true. My tinnitus varies every day or two and even within the same day, both high-frequency and low-frequency tinnitus. But simply having mild tinnitus turn severe is enough to dishabituate, but the variability of it makes it worse. And worsening TTTS and hyperacusis over time is also a factor.

Best wishes that it will go better for you.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now