• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

@Athens, I doubt it. She will let the official results speak for themselves.
It will take a lot of time to sift through the results I would think.
Is that bad news?
Could be anything. Could be COVID-19 for example. No one really knows why but trial results are imminent so all should be revealed in the next few months. Here is hoping that the extra two weeks of treatment show an improvement over solid, if not spectacular Phase 1 results. I am sure there is a cohort this will work exceptionally well for and out of 400 participants they should be able to identify that cohort. Hopefully it is a large cohort!

Unblinding approaches... What do you reckon fellas? A keeper or a chucker? :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

bd.jpg

Unblinding approaches... What do you reckon fellas? A keeper or a chucker? :nailbiting: :nailbiting: :nailbiting:

View attachment 49700
Hahaha. I remember screaming at the TV saying pick number X or whatever... 'Our Graham,' hilarious... My three questions would be:

1.) Can you fix my tinnitus
2.) Can you fix my hearing loss
3.) Can you make sure I never have tinnitus ever ever again.

Undlinding...

shore.jpg

First date... Michigan Uni Labs... :)

April 1, wake up, check the ClinicalTrials.gov for change in status, see nothing, wash, repeat.[/QUOTE
To be honest I don't know. Plus the 'unblinding' in two days is probably optimistic as Dr. Shore has a tendency to run late with the project. Hopefully news soon :)
Do we have any idea why it took almost four (4) years between the first trials in 2018 and these latest trials with four hundred (400) people?

Do we have any idea why it took almost four (4) years between the first trials in 2018 and these latest trials with four hundred (400) people?
Thanks for that very pointed, insightful observation; I have concluded that Dr. Shore will move this along at the same rate with which the Glaciers formed the Great Lakes.

I keep remembering how over 4 years ago (01/05/2018) our Chicago Tribune had an article about this in their Health and Wellness section; they indicated that the results were promising and that this would be released in the not-too-distant future. How long before COVID-19 was this?

I hope that my Insurance Investigator skepticism and suspicions about these seemingly endless delays are completely unfounded, but I get the accumulating impression that something is not quite right.

I dunno for sure, but my guess would be too much red tape, regulations, and financial hurdles to sort through. All that eats time up. It's sad because there's a lot of promising treatments in development for tinnitus that never see the light of day because of those roadblocks. I'm hoping Shore's device is successful and can be on the market soon. Everything moves at a snail's pace while the world's unfortunates reside in suffering.

Well, there was a pandemic that shut things down basically for at least a year or more. So without that we might have looked at results in 2 years versus 4.

I have to remind myself that the pandemic screwed a lot of things up. Lives, jobs, money, futures.

Well, there was a pandemic that shut things down basically for at least a year or more. So without that we might have looked at results in 2 years versus 4.

I have to remind myself that the pandemic screwed a lot of things up. Lives, jobs, money, futures.
Interestingly, Frequency Therapeutics were able to push forward fast despite the pandemic.

I'm sure Frequency Therapeutics FX-322 Phase 2 was slightly impacted and came in a little late.
I don't know University of Michigan in particular but a lot of US universities went remote at large and were subject to state government mandates (as they are ultimately quasi-government entities) in a way that private companies weren't.

Yes, I left Michigan when the pandemic started to make my way back to Canada because it was getting scarce on supplies there and I couldn't risk the expensive healthcare bills compared to Canada's system. The virus was spreading fast there, schools were closed, so I can see the reason why Dr. Shore's work has been delayed. It's totally understandable since I was there in Michigan at that time. It was out of the doctors hands there.

For Susan Shore's device, is anyone else concerned about how it uses earbuds or headphones?

I know a lot of people on here have reported spikes or permanent worsenings from those, even at low volumes. I can vouch for that — I had a significant, permanent worsening (from very low level volume) on headphones. It was pink noise for 60-90 minutes for 4 days, 30 dB tops. On the 4th day, it created a loud, low frequency hum.

Granted, I have hyperacusis, too, and perhaps that's why it happened.

But I wonder if that means hyperacusis sufferers won't be able to use Susan Shore's device. I also wonder if the headphones or buds are even required. Perhaps you can just listen to the audio through a speaker. If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

I also remember reports of people experiencing worsenings from Lenire and thought it might be because of the headphones, too.

For Susan Shore's device, is anyone else concerned about how it uses earbuds or headphones?

I know a lot of people on here have reported spikes or permanent worsenings from those, even at low volumes. I can vouch for that — I had a significant, permanent worsening (from very low level volume) on headphones. It was pink noise for 60-90 minutes for 4 days, 30 dB tops. On the 4th day, it created a loud, low frequency hum.

But I wonder if that means hyperacusis sufferers won't be able to use Susan Shore's device. I also wonder if the headphones or buds are even required. Perhaps you can just listen to the audio through a speaker. If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

I also remember reports of people experiencing worsenings from Lenire and thought it might be because of the headphones, too.
This has been on my mind a lot too lately. My tinnitus was caused by headphones, and I'd never feel comfortable wearing them again, as they not only bring up painful memories, but could potentially worsen my condition. I've been wondering why there hasn't been more talk about this, especially considering tinnitus sufferers are highly advised to avoid headphones. While I'm excited for the results of this device and what it means for the tinnitus community, unless the findings are ridiculously good, I may have to sit this one out.

This has been on my mind a lot too lately. My tinnitus was caused by headphones, and I'd never feel comfortable wearing them again, as they not only bring up painful memories, but could potentially worsen my condition. I've been wondering why there hasn't been more talk about this, especially considering tinnitus sufferers are highly advised to avoid headphones. While I'm excited for the results of this device and what it means for the tinnitus community, unless the findings are ridiculously good, I may have to sit this one out.
I feel the same, but why are buds or headphones necessary? Why can't we listen to the audio through a speaker? Maybe we could.

I believe that Susan Shore (or someone associated with the device) has referenced that the device might be helpful for hyperacusis as well. I am concerned about having to listen to sounds through this device because I also have loudness hyperacusis. I have had three separate hearing tests which did not seem to aggravate me too much. Perhaps the volume will not be too loud.

I believe that Susan Shore (or someone associated with the device) has referenced that the device might be helpful for hyperacusis as well. I am concerned about having to listen to sounds through this device because I also have loudness hyperacusis. I have had three separate hearing tests which did not seem to aggravate me too much. Perhaps the volume will not be too loud.
I also had 2 hearing tests since my issues with headphones started. The 2 hearing tests didn't seem to bother me. But I'm worried about prolonged, daily use with a new treatment, even at low volumes, as that's what caused my permanent worsening last time. Not sure exactly what's entailed audio-wise with Susan Shore's treatment, but I still wonder if we could listen to the audio through a speaker? Maybe headphones or earbuds aren't required.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now