New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      I doubt it, honestly. Such buyback policies come with a certain risk for the manufacturer that impacts profitability.

An alternative business model would be to lease the device through an affiliated audiologist or treatment center. They buy the machines and then rent them out to you. If treatment doesn't work, you return them. This could possibly save you some money.

In the worst-case scenario, you could try selling it on the second-hand market. Hopefully, affiliated audiologists will still adjust your settings, even if you didn't buy it through Auricle or them directly.

But anyway, this is all speculation. We have no idea what kind of business models Auricle is contemplating. I know Dr. Shore gave an estimated $3000-4000 range for the device, but this doesn't tell us whether they'll actually be selling it outright.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. Bob3382
      Stressed

Bob3382 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible ear infection, unknown
      $3,000-$4,000 is not that much. Considering how much tinnitus impacts my life, the device is worth every penny I can find. If it were $10,000, I would not blink once.

I have been in the insurance business for years and have worked for America's largest health insurance company. Medical devices, especially new ones, are extremely hard to get covered.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. MiaVIL
      No Mood

MiaVIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection, hearing loss
      Why is that?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      You're lucky you have access to those kinds of funds.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Creative Creative x 1
    5. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      To many people, that's like a million dollars, especially if they have severe tinnitus and are debilitated to the point of not being able to work and unable to get disability due to all the hoops you have to jump through and delays getting it. I'm not talking about me, but some people have talked about being homeless or having to live with others to get by.
      @gameover is correct, but not because of what he posted. I was optimistic, but I am pushing my prediction off at least an additional full year for when the device will actually be available through any audiologists. Better late than never.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Muggumbo

Muggumbo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Acoustic Trauma
      I remember Dr. Shore insinuating that payment plans could also be available for the device if you can't afford the lump sum.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. Fields
      Tired

Fields Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma
      I'd imagine some people in the community might also be willing to pay it forward and share their devices if reconfiguring the settings isn't too much of a hassle.

I'm lucky to have the option of flying out to the US if everything pans out; not everyone does. I'd certainly look into helping others out once I feel I've benefitted enough.

I fear calibrations will have to be done through official channels, though.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Calapsodis
      Tired

Calapsodis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise, TMJ, Virus, and Acid Reflux
      I’m almost positive that will come to light. Few people are ready to drop a few grand on anything anytime soon.

This is from Dr. Shore’s Q&A if it helps;

9. Bob3382
      Stressed

Bob3382 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible ear infection, unknown
      It has taken long years of not spending, putting money into savings, and a wife who helps me keep our budget tight. But God has also blessed me with employment that I can do from home and managers who understand tinnitus. The VP of my department has tinnitus and has made it clear that this is a debilitating affliction. That makes a big difference.

• Like Like x 6
    10. IYIiKe

IYIiKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxic Reaction to Sertraline and Hydroxyzine
      Expecting everyone to have access to a new medical device that insurance doesn't cover is a bit silly.

Realistically, those of us who are able/willing to pay to travel and receive treatment will subsidize later widespread use, provided it shows sustained clinical effectiveness. Likely, you would see NIH/VFA in the U.S. subsidize the device for military service members, sort of how they are/have with Lenire. Eventually, insurance will not be able to deny its effectiveness, and it will work its way into major insurance carriers, etc. Even then, there might be hoops a patient might have to go through by working with a PCP, an ENT, and a Neurologist to justify insurance paying for the device. You're talking about developments years after the device has been released.

But yeah, the expectation that a private company will give their IP away is like expecting Coke to let everyone sell their soda and give the recipe away; it's just not how the world works.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. RebelScum

RebelScum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2024
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      One potential problem would be if the device works, but you have to keep using it to maintain the benefits, then people won't want to quit using the device and pass it on to others. I think @linearb, who was in the first clinical trial, said his tinnitus returned to its old baseline a few days after he stopped using it. However, the first clinical trial was only four weeks long, and the second was six weeks.

Did the second clinical trial show benefits remaining during the washout period?

12. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      At least you have been able to do these things. My family lives hand to mouth, I can't work, and I have a small child. I wonder why some are so-called blessed and others are completely ignored.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Educated guess. If they have a student working part-time on something that sounds like a key part of the device, it suggests they have not submitted it to the FDA yet. I don't know anything beyond that, so it is a speculation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      Yes, there was a further benefit in loudness reduction during washout. And for TFI, it was still lower AFTER the washout period. Susan Shore stated in a recent webinar that you might have to still use it occasionally.

upload_2024-7-26_14-6-11.png

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Taking drugs on penile fracture
      June 2024 - unbelievable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Jonno02
      Frustrated

Jonno02 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2012. Worsened 2022.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Primarily loud music. Secondary - ETD + TMJ
      I’m not quite sure I understand this. Can someone please explain?

When the company I work for submits a new product to regulators that we know/expect will get approval, we generally start to hire new engineers and scientists to look after that specific product. This could be to continuously improve the science behind it to produce Gen2, streamline and maximize the efficiency of the manufacturing processes, etc.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    17. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      That would be an optimistic explanation, but if you are a startup that has not really generated one single dollar in revenue, would you be working on "Gen2" already?

They either realized they were not ready, or perhaps - at best - submitted to the FDA, and the FDA sent it back requesting changes/improvements, so they hired the guy to help address those requests.

I think they are still deep in the weeds.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. Muggumbo

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Acoustic Trauma
      It's hard to say. All people can do is speculate about Auricle's lack of communication. I definitely understand that they don't want to mention anything regarding the FDA, but I don't feel there's a need for total radio silence. I said this in the past, but I think the FDA approval is the least of everybody's worries. The real question is how fast they can roll the device out after the approval.

• Agree Agree x 6
    19. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jon Pearson started Auricle Inc. almost five years ago. There is no official website for Auricle, and the only thing I could trace about Auricle is a three-year-old video on YouTube.

In the video, he brags about people investing in the company. I wonder how much he raised if they could only hire part-time students to do a job that should probably have been done a year ago. Also, this type of work can be / should be outsourced to a company with experience. There are many out there who could do the job quickly.

• Agree Agree x 5
    20. Jonno02
      Frustrated

Jonno02 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2012. Worsened 2022.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Primarily loud music. Secondary - ETD + TMJ
      I can’t speak for Auricle specifically, but yes, you would. You can’t change ANY manufacturing processes or specifications after you submit. Technically, any changes or improvements post-submission would either be Gen 1.1 or 2.0, depending on how large a jump it is.

So, whilst your regulatory experts deal with submission, your development team doesn’t sit on their hands. They start looking at areas that could be better; continuous improvement.

In 2018, I was part of a Class III submission. We hadn’t even submitted it, and we’re already full speed ahead on the device/material that would supersede this product that wasn’t even on the market yet.

As I said, I can’t speak for Auricle’s situation here. But it’s hardly unusual.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Useful Useful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Let's go round again!

• Funny Funny x 1
    22. MiaVIL
      No Mood

MiaVIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection, hearing loss
      This is handy information. I mean, I would rather wait and get a possible new and improved 2.0 Susan Shore Device that could be a lot more effective (even for non-somatic cases) than maybe the earlier version, which was less effective. Maybe it’s been submitted, and as you said, they are looking to expand with more treatments!

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. Muggumbo

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/Acoustic Trauma
      You would likely be waiting a very long time for something like that. More studies are required to make it more effective. Improvements they make quickly would most likely be "quality of life" improvements that would make the device more comfortable or easier to use.

• Agree Agree x 3
    24. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      You are looking from the perspective of a large corporation flush with money. I think these rules do not quite apply to a small-time show like Auricle. Of course, there is a remote possibility they submitted and are working on improvements, but I am doubtful about it. Their pace and track record do not suggest that.
      Or cheaper to manufacture, most likely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. MiaVIL
      No Mood

MiaVIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      infection, hearing loss
      Yeah, I have given up much hope that the device will see the light of day.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The University of Michigan invested $14M+ into the research and gave all the findings to Auricle? Auricle is looking for investors. What will the university gain? Whose money was behind the clinical trials? I don't understand how this works.

If they don't want to talk about FDA approval, OK, but why can't they say what the relationship between the University of Michigan and Auricle is, and what the mission and goals are?

27. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      What is the source of this information? What period does it apply to?

28. UHPTS
      Uninvolved

UHPTS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's stated in many articles over the internet, including the video I shared in one of my previous posts.

upload_2024-7-28_20-25-18.png

• Like Like x 1
    29. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I'd imagine that most of the 14 million in grants probably came from sources other than UoM, such as NSF, the Defense Department, NIH, etc.

30. gameover

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Yeah, it's a decent amount of money with little practical impact so far—a sad state of affairs.

I wish Auricle considered selling the device in a country without regulatory obstacles while they work on approval/clearance in the US. That would be a real goodwill gesture for suffering people. Panama would be inconvenient, but I bet people would gladly do it if the alternative were waiting however many years. I guess it would create an appearance of working around the system. But that is silly. FDA has no jurisdiction abroad.

So sad. People needed help years ago.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1