• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

It makes sense that people with somatic tinnitus benefit more than non-somatic, but it would make sense if either one of them will have some benefit. Keep in mind that they have no idea if the guinea pigs can modulate their tinnitus, how many tones they have, the pitch/range etc. They know that the technique works on guinea pigs.

The problem that tinnitus studies have is that they generally focus on too large
a group. You want your study to succeed so you limit it to people who theoretically would benefit the most - somatic tinnitus. This says absolutely nothing about the fact that non-somatic tinnitus sufferers may not benefit.

It makes sense that people with somatic tinnitus benefit more than non-somatic, but it would make sense if either one of them will have some benefit. Keep in mind that they have no idea if the guinea pigs can modulate their tinnitus, how many tones they have, the pitch/range etc. They know that the technique works on guinea pigs.

The problem that tinnitus studies have is that they generally focus on too large
a group. You want your study to succeed so you limit it to people who theoretically would benefit the most - somatic tinnitus. This says absolutely nothing about the fact that non-somatic tinnitus sufferers may not benefit.
Finally someone gets it.

This may have already been addressed but are they testing the Susan Shore device with moderate to severe tinnitus or are there also folks with mild tinnitus in the trial?

Unless I am mistaken, this is a supposition created entirely within this thread. I don't think this has been mentioned by Dr. Shore at all.
Well that's a weight off of my chest.

I had thought somatic just meant that you could manipulate some form of your tinnitus. I did not think it meant only those tones which you could manipulate would be somatic. I guess I simplified it too much.

I had thought somatic just meant that you could manipulate some form of your tinnitus. I did not think it meant only those tones which you could manipulate would be somatic. I guess I simplified it too much.
And if you think you can't modulate it, they apparently can show you how you can.

Dr. Shore hasn't discounted non-somatic tinnitus either, she is just limiting the testing to somatic as it would seem the most likely group to show response as they can already show that by pulling and twisting nerves that they can impact their tinnitus.

The most import thing is to get a provable, clinically tested result showing that the treatment works for any subset of people so it can go to market. Remember when she worked with the guinea pigs no one asked if they could modulate their tinnitus.

Dr. Shore hasn't discounted non-somatic tinnitus either, she is just limiting the testing to somatic as it would seem the most likely group to show response as they can already show that by pulling and twisting nerves that they can impact their tinnitus.

The most import thing is to get a provable, clinically tested result showing that the treatment works for any subset of people so it can go to market. Remember when she worked with the guinea pigs no one asked if they could modulate their tinnitus.
How many days until April, @AfroSnowman? :)

Communication with the CEO of Auricle back in October.

0E6F2968-40DD-49CD-91FD-5D97D3F7F0C6.png

C9D5AF9F-BE2B-4AD6-AC59-028830D8C3BF.png

Don't get completely discouraged just yet. As has been said many times, the device is still in trial only being tested on a specific population. He would be very unprofessional to be speculating who else it may treat outside of those parameters.
Totally agree I know other posters have mentioned this but I do think that some of the criteria is imposed the way it is as to not jeopardize it from getting to market by making too broad of claims. I'm sure someone else can put this in more scientific terms. :)

That's EXACTLY what I think as well @Sentinel. Really hoping for those of us experiencing this centralized tinnitus that I've heard referred to as "brain tinnitus" respond well to DCN treatment. Again just for reference I've heard @linearb's tinnitus is also high frequency and centralized at 14 kHz and he responded to treatment. That's the same pitch frequency I have and it's in the hiss range for sure.
I perceive hissing in my head and my ears. I suspect that the central noise is my hearing loss. The hissing in my ears is the involvement of the somatosensory nervous system; which I can suppress temporarily with residual inhibition/somatically with face and jaw movements. Maybe I am wrong. I hope the device is able to suppress all of it!

I perceive hissing in my head and my ears. I suspect that the central noise is my hearing loss. The hissing in my ears is the involvement of the somatosensory nervous system; which I can suppress temporarily with residual inhibition/somatically with face and jaw movements. Maybe I am wrong. I hope the device is able to suppress all of it!
Wow that's great you can suppress it to some degree. Here's hoping the device does provide major suppression and relief. :) When you say residual inhibition, is that done just by face and jaw movements for you?

Wow that's great you can suppress it to some degree. Here's hoping the device does provide major suppression and relief. :) When you say residual inhibition, is that done just by face and jaw movements for you?
If I play 7000 Hz pure tone into my right ear, I get some partial temporary suppression. It's weird. If my tinnitus is louder in right ear, it'll push it over to my left ear, but my central noise is still there :(

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now