No Hearing Damage, No Loud Noise Exposure — My Tinnitus Started Out of the Blue

ChrisPK

Author
Oct 13, 2024
Tinnitus Since
10/2024
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this.

My journey with tinnitus has just begun. It started last week out of nowhere.

It's only in my left ear, and there hasn't been any hearing damage or loud noise that could have caused it. The doctor ruled out earwax buildup and infection as well.

I know anxiety makes it worse, and I have an added challenge: I have epilepsy and need to sleep well, as lack of sleep is a trigger for seizures. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I get anxious about not being able to sleep, fearing it might lead to a seizure. This worry then stops me from falling back asleep, creating a cycle.

I have an appointment with an audiologist who specializes in tinnitus in about four weeks, and I hope they can help.

I'm trying to manage my anxiety, but it's difficult.

Any advice on how to handle this and adapt would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. Have you talked to your doctor about using prescription medication to help with anxiety and sleeplessness? If you've tried your best and still can't control your anxiety, short-term medication use may be helpful. You can always work with your doctor to gradually phase out the medications when you're ready.

I know how hard it is to manage anxiety and panic. I suffered from anxiety and panic disorder for decades before developing tinnitus, so when my ultra-high-pitched tinnitus hit me—soon followed by hyperacusis—I was overwhelmed with relentless anxiety and panic attacks. I had no choice but to rely on medication just to get through each day. I took benzodiazepines, antidepressants, and sleeping pills daily. After about a year, once I could manage the tinnitus better, I slowly tapered off the medications.

Medication isn't for everyone, though. If your anxiety is mild, you might consider natural calming supplements like melatonin or chamomile tea. But in my case, with extreme anxiety and panic disorder, I didn't have a choice. Now, I practice complete acceptance of whatever health challenges I face. Recently, I accepted the hearing loss in my left ear and focused on making the most of what I can still enjoy, like gardening, fishing, traveling, dancing with my wife, and walking in nature. I embrace both the good and the bad in life, and with this attitude, I'm finding that I experience fewer anxiety attacks.

I hope your situation improves. Take care, and God bless.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now