ZackColorado

Author
Sep 27, 2021
Tinnitus Since
May 2021
Cause of Tinnitus
Gunshot
Hello all!

On June 28th, 2021 I went to the gun range by myself to shoot my AR. I was alone in the range. I reloaded a mag but before I did I took a call. Loaded and shot one round without my ear protection. Took steroids 2 weeks later, no help. It's been a loud ring in both my ears ever since.

I've seen two ENTs and a neurologist. No help.

I can hear fine and my levels are okay. But the tinnitus is not letting up. I'm a healthy 43 year old. But I can't sleep too well without OTC sleep aid. Even then I'm up a few times a night.

I honestly don't know how long I can deal with this. If this is permanent, I'd rather not live with a freight train in my head 24/7. I have no wife or kids. I'm financially okay but I've become a severe introvert. 8 months in and no sign of relief.

Any help or advice?

Thank you, Zack

I got similar issue, where I got my innitus after I went to a shooting range in early October.

I only wore a 25 dB earmuff (which in hindsight was not 100% effective for me), and someone shot a short barrel AR pistol with muzzle brake close to my right side.
It was pretty bad for a couple weeks (I would rate it about 5 out of 10), but after 2 months it is getting much better. Now only occasional loud hiss, with soft to medium hiss, for the most part.

After the onset of your incident, a couple months ago, what did you do? Did you take any supplement, prescription drug, wear earbuds/earphones, and getting exposed further to loud environment (loud music, shooting range, etc.)? Some prescription drugs can be ototoxic (eg: make your tinnitus louder). Getting exposed further to loud environment, will just further damage your ear.

In terms of sleep, yes it was very hard for me to sleep in the first a couple days.
I tried white noise machine, but for some reason white noise does not work with me, and caused even more stress.

What worked is, by playing elevator song (instrumental music without lyrics like Richard Clayderman) on my laptop, at a low volume (I think it was 5 out of 20), then slowly reduce the volume even further every a couple days.

I used the music to focus my brain at before sleeping. After 3 weeks ish, I was able to sleep normal without music. That said, I did take Melatonin 1 mg - 2 mg, every now and then.

Hello, and thanks for the reply. Great to hear from someone with similar issues.

The first two weeks after the shot I wasn't sure what was happening. I probably took Advil. I then finally went to a doctor and got Gabapentin and a 5 day steroid. Neither helped.

All I'm doing now is eating gluten free, limiting alcohol to 1 day a week and doing lots of yoga. But I did that before. Healthy 43-year-old. I'm trying THC, CBD and microdosing mushroom to see if that helps.

I took a big hit my friend. My ears were wide open inside the gun range on my high caliber AR. Terrible lifelong one time mistake. I'm laying off the Xanax but I still wake up 3 times a night. Music helps, tinnitus beats help, white noise helps. My dog certainly helps too.

I can only pray I get relief within the 12-18 month window now. It's been 9 months. As of month 3, no more ototoxic drugs.

You are getting relief now, you say?

Yes. My tinnitus in the the past 2 - 3 weeks has been getting better (maybe about 40% better) compared to at the onset).

First, I live in a very quiet single family house, on a quiet street, with thick double pane glass that blocks almost all noise from the outside.

Previously at the onset, it was semi loud hiss almost all the time. The only time it was I could not hear the loud hiss was on shower, or occasionally if I was talking on the phone.

Now for the most part it is just low to medium hiss, though if there is noise such as furnace fan, the tinnitus does getting a bit louder.

There are many times, during the day, where once I go inside a quiet room, that I can not hear any hissing from the Tinnitus, though usually it only lasts for several minutes.

Before, the tinnitus was reacting quite a bit (tinnitus spike), after I drive about 5 - 6 miles on the highway. Now driving 10 - 15 miles does not cause any spike. For any driving longer than 25 miles, I do wear my Eargasm/Audiomate musician's earplugs. While my car is very quiet inside for driving on regular road, but on highway, I measure the ambient noise can go from 68 dB to 77 dB.

I try to help my body fix the tinnitus by:

I. Avoid any loud environment. I installed the NIOS SLM and decibel X app on my phone, and if the ambient environment loudness is close to 75 dB, then I would wear my Eargasm/Audiomate musician's earplugs.

75 dB is not that much actually. A busy cafeteria in a mall, with people shouting, music, etc. can easily be around 80 dB.

I also avoid any ear phone/ear bud (I never liked them in the first place either though). That said, I have to wear headphone for conference call, and for that I set the volume to be as low as possible.

I also put the headphone, not right at the ear canal, but slightly ahead by the temple. This is especially for my right ear, which has the tinnitus.

II. Try to eat healthy, with more fruits.

III. Supplements:

- Zinc (every day initially, now only 2 - 3 times a week)
- Magnesium (almost every day)
- Vitamin B Complex (every day)
- Vitamin B12 (every day, and now tapered down to 4 - 5 times a week)
- Vitamin D3 (5000 units tablet per day initially, now only 1000 units tablet per day)
- Vitamin E (occasionally)
- NAC occasionally

All of the above supplements help with ear health, and tinnitus in general. Go search at Google for "X ear health" or "X acoustic shock". Replace the X with the name supplement above

I did blood test thru walk-in-lab, about 3 weeks after the onset to test my Vitamin D3, Magnesium and Zinc level. My Magnesium and Zinc level was normal, but the Vitamin D3 level was extremely low. Normal range is supposed to be 30 to 100 ng/mL, and mine was 15.

Other than that, I take no other supplement or drugs.

IV. Sound retraining. This was to help me to sleep initially in the first a couple weeks at the onset (and I still do it until now, but rarely).

I play instrumental elevator music, like the like from Richard Clayderman on my laptop, at the volume that is as low as what I could hear while lying on the bed trying to sleep.

I would try really hard to make my mind to focus and to find that music, in the high pitch noise of the tinnitus.

It was quite hard initially, but after some times it is getting easier.

Also when I play music, while working in front of computer, I do the same thing also. Before the onset, I used to place the stereo set right across of me.

Now, I put the stereo set at the other room 20 feet away, and I try to make my brain and ear work to try to find for that music, and ignore the hissing noise from tinnitus.

Much appreciated.

I do take all the vitamins and supplements listed as well. I listen a lot to House or Chill music on Spotify or YouTube. I have a few TVs in my house and will just play a 6-hour version of chill beats. Accustom guitar does help for sure. Holiday stress spikes it. I'm hoping daily 98F degree yoga helps as well. I carry earplugs everywhere and have begun getting used to wearing them without knowing I have them on. Eating anti-inflammatory foods is definitely helping. But at the end of the day and early mornings it's still very high pitched ringing.

Thank you for sharing your words.

Kindly,
Zack

@ZackColorado, one thing that you can try also is try to play music before you are going to bed, at the lowest volume that you can distinguish that music from your tinnitus. Try to keep doing this every day.

I did this at the onset of my tinnitus, and it helps my brain and ear for recovery, a lot.

You'll notice (or at least I did) that the lowest volume of the music that you barely able to hear before sleeping, after a couple days will feel quite louder/clearer when you wake up in the morning.

When this happen, reduce the volume further, and keep doing that.

I also got tinnitus from firearms, army and shooting ranges + years of loud clubbing, music etc...

For sleeping you need sound enrichment, preferably a high frequency cicada type of sound. Best app is "myNoise". I put my iPhone on speaker phone next to my bed all night then and my brain won't focus on the tinnitus. For me, I am 6 years into this and all the other stuff you mentioned, supplements, coffee etc.. have no effects.

You should sell the rifle, you can sadly worsen your hearing loss even with the best hearing protection, once you have some damage it's much easier to get further damage compared to someone with perfect ears. Or maybe attach a huge silencer on it and still use hearing protection. Not sure how effective it could be, I never shot with silencers, but a shooting range is a very risky place unless you are alone.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now