Personality Changed After Tinnitus and Hearing Loss — Depressed, Isolated, Grieving

newarrior

Author
Aug 22, 2013
Bangkok
Tinnitus Since
12/1996
Cause of Tinnitus
Concerts
22 years ago... I was more of a wild and crazy social party guy--tinnitus and hearing loss have severely restricted my social, personal and hobby related life and made me more depressed, withdrawn and in a constant state of grief over my deteriorating hearing and increasing tinnitus.... It's restricted my ability to meet new people and connect with existing ones.

Anyone can relate?

Dave

I feel the same way :( I want my old life back! I have isolated from the social life I used to have, now I spend my time with my family, the only support I need right now.

Same here and I am 28. I got T when I was 27 and felt like life ended for me. This is mere survival now.

Hi Dave, loads of hugs to you :huganimation:Your hearing loss along with the tinnitus must be very tough. I've had tinnitus for 16 years, I was only 28 when I started on this journey. It's been up and down emotionally for me ever since.

Did your hearing loss happen same time as your tinnitus started or more gradual?

I went to a wedding and realized I will never go to another one again. No more parties ever unless I host them.

Hi,

To everyone here, as my GF keeps saying, 'you aren't dying', so time to do some of those mental gymnastics humans are so good at (think Eric Cartman, it's never his fault :) ).

No but seriously, this royally sucks, and there's no need for it. I hope that jumping on the meditation bandwagon will grant me the inner peace I seek; anybody have any success in that?

I find that learning that it'll always be there (that I can't escape it), is most realistic, and in that, it's the best way to cope. If you can get a good night's rest, and then habituate to get rest, you are golden, we all hope we'll get there one day, and until then, know you are not alone, and hang on.

Good luck to all.

Kind regards,

Michael Barton

Was 18 when this started, three years later and it's already worse. Never been to a concert in my life, and was not into clubbing nor did I wear headphones regularly. One less than 10minute exposure at a club followed by a house party/gathering three years later was what did it for me.

Now its moderate (hear it everywhere) tinnitus, visual snow, floaters, headaches, jaw pain and depression. Light bothers me, sound bothers me. Needless to say, I don't leave the house too often anymore. I used to enjoy going for walks, to the park and reading. Now its enough for me to see the visual snow on a white sheet of paper and my mood instantly tanks.

I hope for some kind of help or treatment to come around. I am not managing to habituate, despite being in this situation for close to two years (when my increase happened). This is not how I was hoping to start my 20s.

I don't see a future anymore. Went from being a high performer academically and participating in extracurriculars to trying to survive day to day. It's hard to find joy when I can't see or hear properly.

As far as personality goes, I am but a shadow of my past. I don't even manage to do half of what I used to do. I feel different, worse. If tinnitus and visual snow went away I'd be extremely happy, but I still think I'd be a changed person.

Hi Dave, loads of hugs to you :huganimation:Your hearing loss along with the tinnitus must be very tough. I've had tinnitus for 16 years, I was only 28 when I started on this journey. It's been up and down emotionally for me ever since.

Did your hearing loss happen same time as your tinnitus started or more gradual?
Yes now I am 56 and one hot mess! Though I moved to Asia at age 54, graduated from college at age 41 and 53, became an actor in Hollywood in my 40s etc etc.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now