• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Poll: After Getting Tinnitus, Do You Still Use Headphones/Headsets?

After Getting Tinnitus, Do You Still Use Headphones/Headsets?

• I still use headphones/headsets

• I stopped using headphones/headsets

Results are only viewable after voting.
I miss them terribly but will never touch them again, even if they ever find a cure!

Earbuds should have been included in the poll rather than just headphones/headsets.

I've only used headphones over foam earplugs strictly for the ANC technology to cancel out additional noise on longer car rides, with no actual audio being played.

How does everyone deal with the "looking for Bluetooth connection" audio with all the newer ANC headphones? Can't seem to turn it off on my Bose QC whatevers...

I would use headphones to focus at work and in the gym. Right now I have only used them for the ANC features... I tried bone conduction headphones and, while interesting, they didn't do much for me.

I still listen to music via ANC headphones, albeit on low volume and only when I'm in the gym, which is 4 * 1-1.5 hour per week. It doesn't affect my tinnitus but I do wonder if I can see some improvement if I'd stop using them altogether.

How does everyone deal with the "looking for Bluetooth connection" audio with all the newer ANC headphones? Can't seem to turn it off on my Bose QC whatevers...
I insert a dummy plug (see photo) into my ANC headphones' audio input socket. This prevents the headphone from trying to establish a Bluetooth connection.

Should work with your Bose QC whatevers too.

dummyPlug.jpg

I don't use them anymore although i don't believe headpohones on very low volume will cause problems. As always volume matters. But of course there is the risk of sudden loud noise because of malfunction.

While gaming i sometimes use my headset with microphone around my neck to talk to people.
I have used my headset for 5 years playing Xbox with tinnitus. I don't think it makes it worse, but maybe the stress from gaming could elevate it a little. I have had tinnitus for 8 years. I'm deaf in one ear, and have tinnitus in my good ear. I have deep ringing and hissing. Tinnitus has woken me up every night for 8 years, it is pretty brutal.

I would keep the volume at a decent level and you should be fine.

I do not use headphones on a regular basis but I do still use them.

If I'm on a plane, I use the Bose noise-cancelling headphones and they help me get through the flight.

I sometimes stream audio through my in-ear maskers at the lowest level to help me concentrate at work.

I do not use them at the gym, while working out or at home for any reason.

I have never had a spike from headphones, but I generally have them at 30% volume max.

I used to get short term spikes after listening to headphones or earbuds, even after a relatively short amount of time, and that was back when my tinnitus was much more mild, so I pretty much cut that activity. I certainly wouldn't risk it now with much more intense and distressing tinnitus.

I'm truly scared everyone. I got tinnitus in May 2021 and I have not used headphones since.

My dad got me a pair of headphones to use as a gift, though I never intended to use them.

Yesterday, I just wanted to check out if they worked and listened at a low volume for 1 minute.

NOW my tinnitus is spiking. Can things really get that bad from 1 minute of exposure at a low volume?

I'm hearing more distortions than before. Fire alarms, fire trucks, loud music.

I can't believe 1 minute listening to headphones would make it worse.
I used to get short term spikes after listening to headphones or earbuds, even after a relatively short amount of time, and that was back when my tinnitus was much more mild, so I pretty much cut that activity. I certainly wouldn't risk it now with much more intense and distressing tinnitus.
How long did the spike last after using your headphones? And how long did you use them for?

I'm truly scared everyone. I got tinnitus in May 2021 and I have not used headphones since.

My dad got me a pair of headphones to use as a gift, though I never intended to use them.

Yesterday, I just wanted to check out if they worked and listened at a low volume for 1 minute.

NOW my tinnitus is spiking. Can things really get that bad from 1 minute of exposure at a low volume?

I'm hearing more distortions than before. Fire alarms, fire trucks, loud music.

I can't believe 1 minute listening to headphones would make it worse.

How long did the spike last after using your headphones? And how long did you use them for?
Probably just a temporary spike. Hearing damage is relative to volume and time. Low volume for a short duration should be safe. Perhaps the frequencies reproduced through the headphones aggravated your tinnitus.

If I, personally, don't cut all the high frequencies from any digital audio I listen to, my tinnitus becomes angry.

I can listen to most things but digital audio is a killer.

I have invested in the Amazon Echo Studio - which I am now returning (the quality wasn't too bad but my laptop would not recognise it as a microphone, plus it can't be used for WhatsApp voice or video calls) - and now buying a Bose high quality speaker.

I've also tried with those high decibel reducing earplugs, as well as standard ear plugs.

It's not like I can't listen to the TV or music, but I avoid doing so as it instantly makes my tinnitus spike in pitch like nothing else!

I sold my best headphones, which were quite rare and valuable, within six months of having tinnitus. I kept a pair of electrostatic ones which have a different shape and way of working, and may not be as dangerous, as standard headphones, but have not used them since getting tinnitus.

now buying a Bose high quality speaker.
I don't want to start a religious war here, but I'm not sure you are aware that Bose speakers have a somewhat mixed reputation for quality, to put it mildly.

It would probably be harsh to say that "Bose high quality speaker" is an oxymoron, but in terms of quality for the price paid (aka "bang for the buck"), Bose speakers were never considered a good deal. Meaning, the competition would offer better speakers for the same price, regardless of the specific model.

If you're aware of this and have nonetheless firmly decided that Bose speakers are exactly what you want, that's perfectly fine. I have no intention to persuade anyone of anything. But if I were you, I'd rather do some research and look around what else is out there. Or skip the research and buy a pair of Genelecs.

(Caveat emptor: I may be partial because I own two pairs of Genelec studio monitors, but they may or may not fit into your existing setup. At the very least you may have to purchase new cables.)

I don't want to start a religious war here, but I'm not sure you are aware that Bose speakers have a somewhat mixed reputation for quality, to put it mildly.

It would probably be harsh to say that "Bose high quality speaker" is an oxymoron, but in terms of quality for the price paid (aka "bang for the buck"), Bose speakers were never considered a good deal. Meaning, the competition would offer better speakers for the same price, regardless of the specific model.

If you're aware of this and have nonetheless firmly decided that Bose speakers are exactly what you want, that's perfectly fine. I have no intention to persuade anyone of anything. But if I were you, I'd rather do some research and look around what else is out there. Or skip the research and buy a pair of Genelecs.

(Caveat emptor: I may be partial because I own two pairs of Genelec studio monitors, but they may or may not fit into your existing setup. At the very least you may have to purchase new cables.)
Thanks for the information.

Not set on Bose but I have gone through 7 pairs of speakers now.

Ideally I wanted something Bluetooth based (to connect into two laptops, an Amazon Firestick and a phone) but also a built-in loudspeaker allowing me to use both built-in microphone and a speaker for voice and video calls on Teams and WhatsApp.

Despite my hours of research into this, and 7 purchases, a good speaker has been somewhat elusive and doesn't let me do all of the above.

I have to keep the laptops in a different room due to the whirring and hyperacusis, hence wanting a speaker I can use for calls, but I'm very much struggling to find anything.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated.

I looked up the Genelecs. They didn't seem to have calling options and at around £1000 a pair they were very high on the budget.

Ideally I wanted something Bluetooth based (to connect into two laptops, an Amazon Firestick and a phone) but also a built-in loudspeaker allowing me to use both built-in microphone and a speaker for voice and video calls on Teams and WhatsApp.
Oops. Sorry, I had a pavlovian reaction to the word sequence "Bose high quality speaker," with the assumption that you want high audio quality, while ignoring your requirements. My bad.

I understand that you want speakers that are an all-in-one solution for video conferencing as well as home entertainment.

I'm not sure that such a product exists, but it is indeed perfectly possible that some Bose system does exactly what you want. At least it might sound better than the Jabra 710 that we use for video conferencing over here (and wouldn't dream of using that thing for watching movies).

I would find it interesting why you sent the other seven products back, but I suggest that you start a thread in the "General chat" section for discussions like this, so that we don't clog up this thread with off-topic posts.

My tinnitus was caused by the Bluetooth frequency of my headphones. No problem using any type of earphones as long as the Bluetooth/noise cancellation is turned OFF.

I had never used headphones in my life. One time when I did have to use them (hearing test), they blasted white noise (speech recognition test) and high frequencies (high frequency audiogram up to 16 kHz) which resulted in an immediate worsening with severe tinnitus and noxacusis. Do not put those things anywhere near your ears, our ears weren't built to have sound blasted directly into them, heck, they can barely tolerate the noise of the world in general as is.

Funnily enough my audiogram that day went up instead of down so in other words I was hearing at minus decibels with no discernible hearing loss, not mentioning the obvious hidden hearing loss. I can hear air coming out of a tyre across my garden, I can hear the electronics buzzing inside of microwaves and radios or even electricity poles ever since that day.

All it takes is for one song to come on way too loud and boom, disaster. Just my opinion.

Oops. Sorry, I had a pavlovian reaction to the word sequence "Bose high quality speaker," with the assumption that you want high audio quality, while ignoring your requirements. My bad.

I understand that you want speakers that are an all-in-one solution for video conferencing as well as home entertainment.

I'm not sure that such a product exists, but it is indeed perfectly possible that some Bose system does exactly what you want. At least it might sound better than the Jabra 710 that we use for video conferencing over here (and wouldn't dream of using that thing for watching movies).

I would find it interesting why you sent the other seven products back, but I suggest that you start a thread in the "General chat" section for discussions like this, so that we don't clog up this thread with off-topic posts.
Thanks @Rainer. I have created a new thread in case anyone may be interested - and any thoughts you have it would be grateful if you could post some suggestions in there as you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject.

Speakers for Those with Digital Audio Sensitivity

I use really, really big speakers! 7.1 channels of sound, 185 watt main speakers, THX certified 200 watt amplification per channel, Super Audio CD multichannel music zig-zagging across the soundscape, a 250 watt subwoofer that makes thunderstorms blush. Soon I'll install Dolby Atmos and really crank this baby up.
Me too. I've always been an audio/video enthusiast and finally was able to build a real home theater. I have a 103" (diag.) projection screen, 4K projector, and, most relevant here, 7.2.2 channels of sound. That means 7 ear-level speakers, 2 subwoofers, and 2 Atmos ceiling speakers.

Having a good setup is SO much better than wearing earplugs in deafening movie theaters. I can control the volume, ha ha! And I'm willing to wait for movies to come to my home so I can stay out of those theaters.

But to get back to the subject of this thread, sure, I still use headphones and telephone headsets. As long as I can control the volume, I don't have any problem with them.

I have now visited two ENTs in my country who are experienced with "treating" tinnitus and I asked them both the same question: is it safe to use headphones? They both had the same exact answers: Yes, but very carefully. Preferably only use over-ear headphones, do not listen to loud audio and even when you listen to audio on low volume, don't listen to it any longer than 50 minutes to an hour.

I only use headphones in the gym (so about 90 minutes for 4 days a week) and since following their advice, my tinnitus has not got worse.

Of course this does not mean your tinnitus won't get worse. Ask your ENT for advice and do what feels best.

I love my old Bose headset and cannot find a new headset! I don't want all the extras. Just the plain old noise cancelling set.

Unlike popular opinions which can be justified, I have to use them to listen to specific music selections with a certain sound that soothes my tinnitus. Also against popular opinions, I use tightly rolled up cotton balls in my ears to absorb and soften the music. I don't need a lecture from my experience so usually I never reply to these posts.

I do guided meditation CDs also.

I cannot take most music sounds that are digital? Not sure of the correct way to explain this. I have to put my particular music selections on a CD and not listen off my phone or whatever devices are used.

Sort of like listening to the old vinyl on a record player. Most younger people won't know what that is.

I also have sensitive issues towards lighting mostly the new bulbs that are now the only ones one can buy.

Nope. Not going to risk it and I suspect if I didn't use earphones regularly before, I wouldn't be here in the first place. Unless there's eventually a cure or something, I won't try it, even then I'd probably be careful.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now