• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Post Your Favorite Songs

So, something one of my favourite Tinnitus Talkers wrote on their profile page made me think of this song.

Took me right back to the early days, when I would be up in the a.m. by myself, unable to sleep, watching old re-runs of Trigger Happy TV on E4.

This song often played in the show and it always amused me how appropriate the lyrics were to my situation, considering it was a song I would never have known of, had Dom Joly not decided to include it as part of the soundtrack because it's melancholy theme was so at contrast with the absurdity of the show.
Beautiful song @Damocles. It also reminds me more of a soundtrack of a western TV show featuring a lonesome cowboy than something with a tinge of comedy.

I especially love this part & I think a lot of people recognise a bit of themselves in these lyrics:

''In a castle dark or a fortress strong,
with chains upon my feet
You know that ghost is me
And I never be set free,
as long I'm a ghost that you can't see''

@Christiaan, check these out...
Wide array of songs and it sounds damn tasty ;) The first two were quite cheerful en then you get into dark territory with Matt Boroff & Mark Lanegan. Never heard of these artists. Matt Boroff's music sounds very unfamiliar to me and hard to categorise. The cool thing is that Boroff calls his music ''electro-cinematic rock'' (mentioned on his personal website). That sounds fresh! Mark Lanegan, on the other hand, is kind of 80s new wave, but I like it! It reminds me a bit of Hurts and Ultravox.

Beautiful song @Damocles. It also reminds me more of a soundtrack of a western TV show featuring a lonesome cowboy than something with a tinge of comedy.

I especially love this part & I think a lot of people recognise a bit of themselves in these lyrics:

''In a castle dark or a fortress strong,
with chains upon my feet
You know that ghost is me
And I will never be set free,
as long I'm a ghost that you can't see''

You nailed it @Christiaan!

This is the verse that always played in some short scenes during the show.

The full song is about the break down of a relationship, but the first couple of verses are really applicable to life as a tinnitus sufferer.

Have you ever seen Trigger Happy TV btw? If you haven't, you must.

It's one of those "prank on the public" type comedy shows, but it truly made an art of the genre; there was never anything like it before or after.

Also, you might get an idea of how ludicrous it was, me sitting up watching a comedy show late at night, to suddenly hear a piece of music that made me contemplate my recent isolation.

You nailed it @Christiaan!

This is the verse that always played in some short scenes during the show.

The full song is about the break down of a relationship, but the first couple of verses are really applicable to life as a tinnitus sufferer.

Have you ever seen Trigger Happy TV btw? If you haven't, you must.

It's one of those "prank on the public" type comedy shows, but it truly made an art of the genre; there was never anything like it before or after.

Also, you might get an idea of how ludicrous it was, me sitting up watching a comedy show late at night, to suddenly hear a piece of music that made me contemplate my recent isolation.
@Damocles, it's definitely interesting that this show tells us s a bit of the ancient Greek (theatrical) teaching that comedy and drama are pretty much two sides of the same coin, but this time more or less in a more modern format.

I'm actually not that familiar with the show. I've just watched it on Youtube, and it looks a lot like the shows that we had on commercial tv a few years ago. It was actually a show (Benidorm Bastards) with a complete geezer cast that often made fun of the young peeps. It was definitely fun to watch!

Anyway, it does sound ludicrous, but I think the song also tells us some sort of universal truth that even though life is harsh at times, we still have the ability to withstand it by using our sense of humour and a bit of imagination. That's honestly part of the reason why I'm still alive n' rocking :rockingbanana:

So, after a long search, I've finally found my very first CD that I had ever bought, back in 1999. It's a collection of late 90s R&B n Soul. I basically grew up with these songs. Hope you guys dig it too ;)

Usher - You Make Me Wanna... (Official Music Video)

Lutricia McNeal - Ain't That Just The Way (Original Version 1997)

Shola Ama - You Might Need Somebody

Buckshot LeFonque - Another Day

Gabrielle - Rise

Lighthouse Family - High (Official Video)

Donell Jones - U Know What's Up (Official Video)

This performance is colossal.
I'm not sure who he is talking to - God perhaps?
He does keep pointing upwards.
A very strange way of pronouncing his vowels, but I do like it. (Quasi cockney I guess.)

(Having just read the synopsis of "The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd," I now understand he is appealing to heaven for help.
Obviously I never saw the film/play.)
Wonderful song - wonderful performance.

Now having to live a lonely life without my precious sweetheart, these lyrics really hit home for me.
I hope you like it folks.

So, after a long search, I've finally found my very first CD that I had ever bought, back in 1999. It's a collection of late 90s R&B n Soul. I basically grew up with these songs. Hope you guys dig it too ;)

Usher - You Make Me Wanna... (Official Music Video)
Don't know much Usher to be fair @Christiaan, but god I always loved this song:

A friend of mine was, in fact, perfectly able to replicate :eek: this dance move.

Don't know much Usher to be fair @Christiaan, but god I always loved this song:

A friend of mine was, in fact, perfectly able to replicate :eek: this dance move.

That's just...wow. If your friend can do that stuff... he certainly has a knack for dancing. I've only done basic street dance & hip hop courses (and also salsa! But that's a different story because I had a Venezuelan girlfriend years ago), but this is just next level (y)

If we ever have the chance to meet-up in Scotland or whatever, I would definitely want to see your swag on the dance floor. Hope you've got some tricks up your sleeve ;)

This performance is colossal.
I'm not sure who he is talking to - God perhaps?
He does keep pointing upwards.
A very strange way of pronouncing his vowels, but I do like it. (Quasi cockney I guess.)

(Having just read the synopsis of "The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd," I now understand he is appealing to heaven for help.
Obviously I never saw the film/play.)
Wonderful song - wonderful performance.

Now having to live a lonely life without my precious sweetheart, these lyrics really hit home for me.
I hope you like it folks.
This is a nice one @Jazzer. I do hope that his words comfort you at those moments when you are reminded of your precious Sylvia.

That's just...wow. If your friend can do that stuff... he certainly has a knack for dancing. I've only done basic street dance & hip hop courses
Was never even at that level myself @Christiaan.

I used to practice in my room trying to mirror Justin Timberlake in music videos, then when I was out with my friends and I heard one of his songs I'd just start busting out some his moves!

But yeah, this old friend of mine from school, he was like a professional level dancer; no comparison.
(and also salsa! But that's a different story because I had a Venezuelan girlfriend years ago)
Mate. (♡﹃♡ )
If we ever have the chance to meet-up in Scotland or whatever, I would definitely want to see your swag on the dance floor. Hope you've got some tricks up your sleeve ;)
HA HA! I'm up for it, but I'm just going to put down a disclaimer: which is that I haven't danced to a single piece of music in almost a decade, so be prepared to be very disappointed! :LOL:

Was never even at that level myself @Christiaan.
HA HA! I'm up for it, but I'm just going to put down a disclaimer: which is that I haven't danced to a single piece of music in almost a decade, so be prepared to be very disappointed! :LOL:
A decade is nothing! All you have to do is just follow Matt Berry's dance instructions to get into the game again & work those muscles. I do his workout on a daily basis and it works like magic! So say goodbye to your love handles and Buddha belly & say hello to some foxy Scottish ladies:cool:

There's an old song that often reminds me of the grave situation in Afghanistan. This piece of art is sung by Renaud & Axelle Red and it's called Manhattan-Kaboul.

It's about a young Puerto-Rican man and a young Afghan woman who share similar things despite living in completely different places. It's really about people being hurt by exploitation (e.g. selective use of religion to subdue women for own gain), wars & politicians for their own purposes.

Here's the clip and also another one that contains lyrics in English:

Renaud - Manhattan Kaboul (Clip Officiel)

Renaud - Manhattan-Kaboul (feat. Axelle Red) [Paroles + English lyrics]

Here's an interesting playlist to bring the funk around: music n' aliens. Why? Well, why not! Aliens are just damn awesome. Period. Those clips will show you why ;P

Kelly Family - Fell In Love With An Alien (Official Video)

Will Smith - Men In Black (Video Version)

Beastie Boys - Intergalactic

The Killers - Spaceman

Katy Perry - E.T. ft. Kanye West (Official Music Video)

Here's an interesting playlist to bring the funk around: music n' aliens. Why? Well, why not! Aliens are just damn awesome. Period. Those clips will show you why ;P
Great stuff @Christiaan!

Katy Perry:

Don't know anything by her except Firework, lol. Heard that song a couple times during the emotional scenes on X-Factor, but basically I was in full swing with reactive tinnitus by the time she came about, so can't really comment.

The Killers:

Love the Killers! but don't know this song... Again, must have been after their second album(?) I loved the FIRST album, wasn't so keen on the second... Mr. Brightside still gives me chills if I hear it.

Beastie Boys:

Mate, I don't even know where to start with this group. Just too good! Too many songs I loved. They had SWAG before SWAG even existed. Actually, I'll post my absolute favourite song of theirs another time (that will be a hard pick though...)

Will Smith (MIB):

How you even picked this song! HA HA! I f*cking loved this when I was 8!! I remember arguing with my friend at school about what the actual lyrics were (and guess what... years later I looked them up, and I was right! HO HO!)

Great stuff @Christiaan!

Katy Perry:

Don't know anything by her except Firework, lol. Heard that song a couple times during the emotional scenes on X-Factor, but basically I was in full swing with reactive tinnitus by the time she came about, so can't really comment.

The Killers:

Love the Killers! but don't know this song... Again, must have been after their second album(?) I loved the FIRST album, wasn't so keen on the second... Mr. Brightside still gives me chills if I hear it.

Beastie Boys:

Mate, I don't even know where to start with this group. Just too good! Too many songs I loved. They had SWAG before SWAG even existed. Actually, I'll post my absolute favourite song of theirs another time (that will be a hard pick though...)

Will Smith (MIB):

How you even picked this song! HA HA! I f*cking loved this when I was 8!! I remember arguing with my friend at school about what the actual lyrics were (and guess what... years later I looked them up, and I was right! HO HO!)
Lol, you are a groovy critic @Damocles. I remember Fireworks alright ;) The song was practically the most overused song 10 years ago in TV shows + night clubs & it almost made me crazy when I heard it for the umpteenth time.

Well, what are you waiting for? Start posting & bring on the thunder! It's about bloody time we witness your juicy taste in music ;)

Okay @Christiaan, so I'm going to try and follow your lead here and post the same genres.

So for starters, in response to The Kelly Family, one of my favourite old Irish songs:

In the case of The Killers, I'll see you and raise you The Kooks (actually don't like them all that much, but liked this song a lot):

For Katy Perry, imma push back with some Ariana Grande (one of her best songs and one of the best pop songs ever made quite frankly):

Now as far as Will Smith and The MIB are concerned, I wanted to pick something that was produced in conjunction with a film/movie. If you've never heard the soundtrack Prince made for the first Batman, then you've really missed out (and you need to rectify that right away):

Finally, as promised, my favourite Beastie Boys song and video of all time:

Okay @Christiaan, so I'm going to try and follow your lead here and post the same genres.

So for starters, in response to The Kelly Family, one of my favourite old Irish songs:

In the case of The Killers, I'll see you and raise you The Kooks (actually don't like them all that much, but liked this song a lot):

For Katy Perry, imma push back with some Ariana Grande (one of her best songs and one of the best pop songs ever made quite frankly):

Now as far as Will Smith and The MIB are concerned, I wanted to pick something that was produced in conjunction with a film/movie. If you've never heard the soundtrack Prince made for the first Batman, then you've really missed out (and you need to rectify that right away):

Finally, as promised, my favourite Beastie Boys song and video of all time:
Well, well, well @Damocles, that's a nice selection. I have to say that your playlist has quite an educational character to it ;) I didn't know that ''C'est la Vie'' is one of those old sailor songs like ''Cockles and mussels'' and the like. Nice how B*witched gave the song a more modern makeover.

Seriously though, I really didn't know that Prince was assigned to make a song for Tim Burton's Batman :0 Shame he didn't star in the movie as Harvey ''Two-face'' Dent. Still a great movie though.

Well, well, well @Damocles, that's a nice selection. I have to say that your playlist has quite an educational character to it ;)
I appreciate you saying this @Christiaan. I have to say - drawing my conclusion from this thread - an eclectic taste in music and a love of a wide range of genres appears to be a characteristic that all us tinnitus sufferers share. Not surprising really, as it nicely explains why most of us are now here. :headphone:
I didn't know that ''C'est la Vie'' is one of those old sailor songs like ''Cockles and mussels'' and the like. Nice how B*witched gave the song a more modern makeover.
Lol, yeah... I mean, when I say "old Irish song"... :LOL:

Basically B*Witched came out with this when I was (around) 10 years old and my little sisters would do dance routines to it; takes me back to far better times.

You'll have to trust me though, having predominantly Irish ancestry, I do know and appreciate far more classical Irish music than B*Witched. :ROFL:
Seriously though, I really didn't know that Prince was assigned to make a song for Tim Burton's Batman :0 Shame he didn't star in the movie as Harvey ''Two-face'' Dent. Still a great movie though.
You know.... I had never seen this Prince music video before. I had the Batman (1989) soundtrack with all the Prince songs on cassette when I was really little; but after having watched it, I have to agree with you. He's supposed to look like The Joker... but he really does look like much more like "Two-Face"... o_O

I appreciate you saying this @Christiaan.

Lol, yeah... I mean, when I say "old Irish song"... :LOL:
Owwwww, THAT old ;p
I appreciate you saying this @Christiaan Basically B*Witched came out with this when I was (around) 10 years old and my little sisters would do dance routines to it; takes me back to far better times.
Mate, it's like we grew up together in the same family. My sisters also had a thing for that and I still remember those nights when their friends came over to our place for playback shows in the 90s en 00s. Thanks to my sisters, I still remember lyrics from Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears songs, even if I don't care a single bit about their music.
I appreciate you saying this @Christiaan You'll have to trust me though, having predominantly Irish ancestry, I do know and appreciate far more classical Irish music than B*Witched. :ROFL:
Well, it's good to know that you have a refined taste in the beautiful music from the Emerald Isle XD Do you consider yourself as London Irish? Is that a thing btw? I only heard of a rugby club that bears that particular name.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now