Prednisone (or Other Medications) Taken Shortly (<48 Hours) After Exposure to Noise Resulting in Acoustic Trauma

Trini62

Author
Oct 22, 2024
Tinnitus Since
10/2024
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic Trauma
My other post provides more details, but I was exposed to a shotgun blast last Wednesday while wearing improperly fitted earplugs and no over-ear muffs. Since then, I've been dealing with persistent tinnitus that occasionally dips or reduces in volume, and it only disappears for a few moments after I wake up from sleep. After the initial ringing calmed down from the shot, the volume has remained fairly steady.

Within about 16 hours, I started taking Prednisone. At just under 48 hours, I began taking Magnesium (starting at 250 mg, now up to 400 mg), and around 80 hours after the exposure, I started NAC (starting at 500 mg, now at 1500 mg on day six).

So far, I haven't noticed any significant changes, but I don't have much to compare it to. For all I know, this medication regimen could have prevented the condition from worsening, or I could be stuck with this for life, making the meds feel like a waste of time and money. I understand it's still a bit too early to tell.

For reference, my hearing seems fine with no noticeable loss. Most of the pain in my ears subsided a few hours after the blast, and by about 12 hours, it was almost gone, leaving only a slight soreness now. My ears were visually examined by a doctor, who found no visible damage to the eardrums. There were no signs of a ruptured eardrum or significant Eustachian tube injury. Of course, the cochlea and the hair cells inside can't be observed, so I have no way of knowing what's happening there, but there were no signs of fluid leakage or anything similar.

I'm really just looking to hear from others with similar experiences, especially those who started their medications around the same time I did (within 48 hours, as recommended by clinical studies and guidelines). Many of the people I've seen discussing Prednisone (or Prednisolone) for tinnitus started the treatment well outside this time frame, or they took it for tinnitus caused by something other than acute acoustic trauma. Some studies suggest that if Prednisone is going to help, it should be working by now, while others say it can take weeks or even months after completing the dose for changes to occur.

Considering it's been a week with only slight improvement, I'm a bit concerned. The only other option I'm considering, if I can get a referral before the two-week mark, is hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT). But I'd really like to hear about others' experiences to see if there's hope for recovery with my current medication regimen before pursuing HBOT.

Huge thanks to anyone who responds.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now