• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Professional Bassist Reporting with Tinnitus and Some Sharp Ear Pains

Jacob Miranda

Author
Jan 26, 2022
Tinnitus Since
1/2/22
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
I guess I am one to earn this. I have been a professional bassist for the last 12 years. I play a hundred gigs a year, and sometimes gigs are in small loud bar, or large arenas with the use of monitors of in ear speakers, or out doors on a patio, you name it. I am pretty good about protecting my ears, but the compound effects of music on my ears seem to have left their mark.

After a 3 day concert run on New Year's, just this past year I was relaxing on my couch watching TV, and noticed the the buzz. I didn't think much of it, until it didn't fade away after 2-3 days. I started antibiotics and steroids since I did get a cold that same weekend, and have a history of sinusitis and frequent sinus infections. My doctor always gives me a z pack at my local pharmacy in case.

It was a 5 day course of antibiotics, and it didn't do much to my tinnitus sound, but I did feel some sinus relief. Fast forward 2 weeks, I am beginning to hear different sounds to my tinnitus. There are birds, bugs, steam, etc. I go for a hearing test, the outer ear looks good, but there is reports of borderline hearing loss on my audiogram. I saw my GP, who has experience as an ENT, and she reported my blood pressure is through the roof at 130-140/100, and I have fluid behind my ears. My drinking and eating habits are not the best, but I do exercise. Point is, get my blood pressure on track.

She started me on steroids for 6 days, and a 10 day antibiotic (Augmentin), to see if that resolves the issue. I have scheduled CT scan of my temporals on 1/25/2021 to hopefully see what's up with an ear infection. I do have a secondary hearing test scheduled for 2/7/2021 which I am hoping will yield better results, and and hopefully bypass my "damaged cochlear hairs". The mornings and nights are the worst, and the days have been ok.

I do experience some sharp pains in my right ear, but I can withstand day to day sounds, like: a tea kettle, dishes, traffic, freeway sounds, the radio, my musical instruments etc. I still practice in my studio, and cant help but wince when a certain frequency hits me where it counts. If I didn't have that sharp pain, I could keep my volume wayyyy down and still work.

Does this mean I have hyperacusis in one ear more than the other, or could I be experiencing an acute middle ear infection?

It just seems like people with hyperacusis are walking around with headphones trying to protect their ears at all costs.

It's been a nightmare, but also not even a month since my first symptom. That's my story. Thanks

Supplements being taken:

- Multivitamin
- Tinnitus911
- Fish oil
- Biotin
- Zinc
- Melatonin (occasionally)

Diet:

- Celery juice every morning
- Berry shakes
- Low salt
- Low alcohol
- Zero caffeine

Jacob,

Thank for sharing your story and I am sorry to hear about your struggles. Before you think the worst and fear having to give up on music, give it a bit of time. You have to treat this as if it were a sports injury. I don't think there has ever been a great sports athlete that has ever played the game who didn't sit one out of a full season. Then come back the following season on the injured list.

I first got tinnitus permanently when I was 18. After getting the diagnosis I was paralyzed. I self isolated. Worried about every environment I was in. Obsessed on the minutia and focused on the sound. After later learning what tinnitus does to your brain physiologically it makes total sense to have an adverse negative reaction to which is the politest way of saying 'freaked the fuck out'.

I am here to say that using proper ear protection I played in signed bands and toured the world playing rock music for a decade and then went on to producing records for the last decade plus. I'm 45 now.

Currently sitting half the season out after a bit of a tinnitus flare up from late last year. They happen to me about once every 5-10 years. You have to know your limits and then gradually get back into things. I'm here if you ever need to talk about any music advice. I've been through it all many times.

AP

Hi @Jacob Miranda.

Welcome to the forum and thank you, for your detailed story as I feel confident to give you my opinion on the cause of your tinnitus, and some suggestions that may help to prevent it getting worse.

Exposure to loud noise is one of the most common causes of tinnitus and this is what I believe you have. Being a musician and exposed to loud sounds over a long period of time and wearing in-ear monitors is the cause. If you want to prevent your tinnitus getting worse, my advice is reduce your exposure to loud noise and stop using headphones, headsets, earbuds and in-ear monitors even at low volume. I understand playing and mixing music in the studio is a large part of your life, but believe if you don't make some changes of the type I have mentioned the tinnitus will get worse.

People with noise induced tinnitus often but not always experience some oversensitivity to sound. This can vary between people and when severe is known as hyperacusis. Noise induced tinnitus and hyperacusis can improve over time. For this to happen it's necessary to limit exposure to loud noise and advisable not to use any type headphones. It is your choice whatever you decide to do. Please be aware this type of tinnitus can become very severe. A lot of people in this forum have noise induced tinnitus.

Please click on the links below and read my posts. Please go to my started threads and read the post Hyperacusis, As I See It.

I wish you well,
Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

Hope you get better.

It is not considered chronic until 6 months I think and the hyperacusis you are experiencing has an even better chance of leaving. You might hate it but I think it would be best to take a vacation or play a lot softer sounds. You need to give your ears time to recover.

Try to limit your anxiety as much as possible and stay healthy.

do experience some sharp pains in my right ear, but I can withstand day to day sounds, like: a tea kettle, dishes, traffic, freeway sounds, the radio, my musical instruments etc. I still practice in my studio, and cant help but wince when a certain frequency hits me where it counts. If I didn't have that sharp pain, I could keep my volume wayyyy down and still work.

Does this mean I have hyperacusis in one ear more than the other, or could I be experiencing an acute middle ear infection?
This does not sound like hyperacusis to me. I do not walk around with headphones on all day trying to protect myself from sound, but some of the sounds that you reference (especially dishes) would be uncomfortably loud.

Jacob,

Thank for sharing your story and I am sorry to hear about your struggles. Before you think the worst and fear having to give up on music, give it a bit of time. You have to treat this as if it were a sports injury. I don't think there has ever been a great sports athlete that has ever played the game who didn't sit one out of a full season. Then come back the following season on the injured list.

I first got tinnitus permanently when I was 18. After getting the diagnosis I was paralyzed. I self isolated. Worried about every environment I was in. Obsessed on the minutia and focused on the sound. After later learning what tinnitus does to your brain physiologically it makes total sense to have an adverse negative reaction to which is the politest way of saying 'freaked the fuck out'.

I am here to say that using proper ear protection I played in signed bands and toured the world playing rock music for a decade and then went on to producing records for the last decade plus. I'm 45 now.

Currently sitting half the season out after a bit of a tinnitus flare up from late last year. They happen to me about once every 5-10 years. You have to know your limits and then gradually get back into things. I'm here if you ever need to talk about any music advice. I've been through it all many times.

AP
Thank you so much for the words of encouragement, and you are totally right. Perhaps I just overplayed on my ear, and need a break. I have in the last week put in a custom in-ear mold for both in-ear monitors and earplugs, for any stage show. I do plan to give my ample time for my ears to rest, and for my hyperacusis to a relax to a comfortable state. I am falling in love again with just shedding in my room, and running scales and learning knowledge.

I am so happy to see that you are back playing and knowing when to give your body a break. Such a thing like tinnitus is very hard to explain to any employer, as it hard enough to explain to yourself or doctor. Thanks again, I will keep all this advice very close to me.

Cheers.

- Jacob

Hope you get better.

It is not considered chronic until 6 months I think and the hyperacusis you are experiencing has an even better chance of leaving. You might hate it but I think it would be best to take a vacation or play a lot softer sounds. You need to give your ears time to recover.

Try to limit your anxiety as much as possible and stay healthy.
I agree with you. A month is too soon to start running around with my head cut off. Big thing that scares me is the amount of work on my calendar. The amount of people who depend on me to do my job. Nevertheless, they are my friends, and people who should be the first to understand. Why would I ever want this for me, ya know?

I have started new activities to take my mind off the sound, and am doing better about staying positive. I do appreciate this post so much. Thank you!

- Jacob

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now