• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Pulsatile Tinnitus After Meds

Johnster

Author
Mar 22, 2015
Tinnitus Since
01/2015
I had debilitating T back in April or so, but got onto some meds that helped me.
Nortriptyline for the ringing
Celexa for depression
Clonazapam for anxiety

I first got off Clonazapam slowly. After I was off of that (a short term drug I have heard) I worked on the other two. I cut my dosage in half every two weeks, and now after a few more months, I am completely off of them.

However there is a side effect. Every now and then, I get sudden pulses or throbbing in my ears. It doesn't happen all the time, mostly when sleeping/napping and other random times. Is this a side effect of the drugs or did I just pick up PT? (The T is no longer debilitating, but is now manageable w/o hearing aid)

Hi, Johnster,

If it's random pulsating, it is hopefully just a side effect of the drugs. True pulsatile tinnitus is generally a constant sound, in sync with your heartbeat. You can actually check your pulse by the rhythm of it! Yours may be a temporary effect of the drugs, and may subside in time.

I had a similar experience with drugs. I had mild tinnitus until I took a blood pressure drug. Then, my pulsating tinnitus started. I've had it for over five years now (I'm off all the blood pressure drugs), and it is still there, but it has gotten calmer since the beginning. However, mine is still a constant pulsating sound, in perfect time with my heartbeat.

I wish you well, and hope that yours will subside in time.

Best wishes,
Karen

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now