• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Pulsatile Tinnitus and Sound Therapy

Kate

Author
Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Tinnitus Since
March 2009
Cause of Tinnitus
guessing it may be from an antiinflammatory drug I took for
Hi,

Has anyone tried any kind of sound therapy for pulsatile tinnitus?

I have both PT and T, and I know there is quite a bit of info on here and research going on for sound therapy for T.

Myself, I find the pulsing more annoying than the buzzing. I've undergone most of the imaging tests (been almost 7 years now) and I'm giving up hope of any kind of medical resolution for the PT. So I wondered if the theory behind sound therapy for T would work for the pulsing too. I know Dr. Nagler in the past has said that TRT works for PT and T.

Has anyone tried TRT or any other kind of sound therapy to turn down the constant pulsing sound in their brain? My brain will ignore it for a few minutes if I get distracted by something (conversation, TV show...) but as soon as I'm back in the moment, there it is!

Kate

I've only had pulsatile tinnitus since June, but it has increased in severity over the past few weeks to the point of joining this forum for help. One thing that seems to have helped me is if I have a loud fan in my room, or even something like a white noise. Right now I actually have the sound of a shower running playing from my iPhone. It at least reduces the perception of the pounding in my ear. I hope that helps.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I've been at this for years now, so I've tried a lot of masking techniques, and I don't find them very effective for the PT because I can hear it and the fan or white noise at the same time. I was wondering if there is a way to train my brain to ignore the pulsing, the same as some techniques train the brain to ignore the buzzing/ hissing etc. of T.
By the way, if you're new to PT, you should get a vascular workup to try and find what is causing it. It rarely has anything to do with the ear. If they can find the cause, quite often they can fix it.

That must be very intense if you can hear both the pulsing and the noise at the same time.

I actually have an MRI scheduled for next week Friday... Hopefully they can figure out what the deal is.

Good, MRI is usually where they usually start with the testing. If you need more information on PT, there is a lot on the site www.whooshers.com, and some very knowledgable and helpful people in the related Facebook group. Some of us have to put a lot of effort into getting the PT diagnosed. Good luck!

Before I had regular T in my left ear I had 8 months of PT. I found I could mask the noise by putting a foam earplug deep into the ear. I was able to get to sleep quite easily then. It won't work of course if you have regular T in the ear as all you'll do is accentuate the noise due to lack of ambient masking. My tonal T in my left ear cropped up about 8 months after the PT disappeared.

I've just been madly pushing fingers and ear plugs into my ears, but not with any success! I would be thrilled with any break from the whooshing, but it doesn't seem to make much difference and I have to hold the plug in the ear to get any reduction. I can move my jaw just slightly and get a significant reduction, but I can't hold it in that position. We're kind of getting off topic here, I was hoping someone might have tried to habituate to PT using sound therapy, including TRT. Maybe not, or maybe they're getting on with their life and not coming back here

Hi, Kate,

I've tried different types of sound therapy, but not TRT, for my pulsatile tinnitus. It didn't seem to help me, and I gave it several months.
I also tried a couple of different types of hearing aids, but they seemed to amplify the pulsating sound.

What has worked best for me has been habituation, and keeping busy and active. I still hear the sound, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used it.

I'd like to hear how sound therapy works for you, if you decide to try it.

Would be interested to hear from others who may have tried TRT for pulsatile tinnitus. Did it work for you?

I just had a balloon occlusion test since a previous test showed a high-riding jugular bulb. The balloon test didn't have any remarkable results, though my neurosurgeon is going to review the films to see if he can spot anything else causing my PT, T, and dizziness. The only thing so far that helps me fall asleep faster (in <1 hr) is taking a klonopin before bedtime. But forget about reading...that luxury went away over a year ago since the PT takes over whenever I stop and pause to think about what I just read. Sucks!

Hi, Kate,

I've tried different types of sound therapy, but not TRT, for my pulsatile tinnitus. It didn't seem to help me, and I gave it several months.
I also tried a couple of different types of hearing aids, but they seemed to amplify the pulsating sound.

What has worked best for me has been habituation, and keeping busy and active. I still hear the sound, but it doesn't bother me as much as it used it.

I'd like to hear how sound therapy works for you, if you decide to try it.

Would be interested to hear from others who may have tried TRT for pulsatile tinnitus. Did it work for you?
Hi Karen, I was reading an old post of yours in which you stated that PT is harder to habituate to than tinnitus. Where did you get this information, or did you mean that your PT was harder to habituate to than your tinnitus? My understanding is that habituating to either affliction involves getting used to a sound that you have reacted to as a threat, and learning either by treatment/ therapies, or due to a natural brain process over time.

Hi, @PeterL

The difference, for me at least, between getting used to regular tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus is that PT is a vibration that I can feel, sometimes throughout my body. For me, that is more difficult to get used to. I have come a long way since my PT first started, but some days are better than others.

I hope this helps to clarify my statements. Please tell me more about your PT, and how it affects you.

Best wishes,
Karen

Hi, @PeterL

The difference, for me at least, between getting used to regular tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus is that PT is a vibration that I can feel, sometimes throughout my body. For me, that is more difficult to get used to. I have come a long way since my PT first started, but some days are better than others.

I hope this helps to clarify my statements. Please tell me more about your PT, and how it affects you.

Best wishes,
Karen
Thanks for the clarification, so you were talking only about yourself. See the way you wrote it, is seemed that PT is always harder to habituate to, essentially for everyone. I know we don't want to put those types of generalizations out there without evidence. As for me I have relatively low volume consistent with the heartbeat PT in my left ear. I have been told by an expert in PT that is most likely due to hearing loss. I have recently gotten hearing aids with built in maskers (ZEN from Widex). I can say that I can go for long periods without noticing it, but I am still dealing with anxiety/stress which I am currently monitoring often.

@Peter,

Yes, I was referring to my own experience. Each one of us experiences tinnitus and PT differently, of course, so it's hard to compare, or to generalize. I'm glad to hear that the Zen from Widex is working for you!! That is great; I tried hearing aids, but they seemed to amplify my pulsating.

I think that, as time goes on, your anxiety and stress will diminish. I know that many of us with PT react with anxiety at first, but for me, it did decrease as time went on.

Please take care, and keep us posted on how you are coping. Your successful experience with hearing aids and PT could be an inspiration to others suffering with this condition!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now