Q&A: Tinnitus Hub Meets Neuromod (Lenire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so grateful that Clare is here posting her experience. She does give me hope even if I don't know if it will help me at the end. Please keep on with your comments Clare.

@Clare B, you are so kind. I am so so happy this treatment worked for you. Thank you for coming here to share your experience and give us all some hope. I wish you the best life you can ever have. May God bless you abundantly!

Man, you are not a nice person. The girl is only sharing her feedback and has said numerous times she doesn't know if it's a solution for all. Yet you come along and provide such a negative response.

Also, I think it's absolutely ridiculous you're going on like 'Oh no one's tinnitus is worse than mine!'. You have no idea what her tinnitus was like. She already stated it affected her life, that is enough, why else would she do the trial otherwise and travel across country (which is true by the way as I too applied for the trial but didn't qualify and I know the trials were in Dublin).

I suggest you hold your tongue and maybe try and change that negative attitude you have. It will get you nowhere.
Damn right. Us Irish stick together. More respect please. She is doing a huge courtesy to this board by being on here.

I'll contact Neuromod next week. See if I can get some info on a date. May swing by the office.

I'm thinking we can expect an announcement on release and pricing to coincide with Tinnitus Week. More press and interest etc. And then available in summer, autumn.

If they are already sitting on inventory for the device. I do not see why this would not be released in the first question. Most likely a software update to already built hardware. Pretty simple upgrade really.

I wrote them on Facebook but got a standard reply (I guess). They have no definitive date set but hope to roll out in 2019... so I don't think it'll come out too soon.

Would they give so much information about their device yet if it will not be on the market in 2019? In the discussions, someone said it will be available in January in Ireland, no?

Would they give so much information about their device yet if it will not be on the market in 2019? In the discussions, someone said it will be available in January in Ireland, no?
Several of the Tinnitus Talk admins said that, based on earlier correspondence with Neuromod, but it's not in the video itself - hence the present confusion about the exact release date.

But if you ask me, Neuromod is showing all signs of a company nearing a product release. They have reams of slick marketing materials prepared (website, testimonials, brochures), they have regulatory approval, the product appears to be finalized, they publicly and exhaustively answer questions about it etc. Let them wake up from their New Year hangovers and we'll soon know more.

Several of the Tinnitus Talk admins said that, based on earlier correspondence with Neuromod, but it's not in the video itself - hence the present confusion about the exact release date.
I believe Neuromod stated January Ireland launch at the Talking Tinnitus conference/expo back in September 2018.

David from BTA also wrote the following back in November 2018:
Neuromod - had a low profile, didn't present, were just talking and showing people the device on their stand. I did spend a long time talking with them and their plans and some BTA future projects I was keen to understand their perspectives on. There seems to be quite a bit they still need to do for January launch!
Source: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/british-academy-of-audiology-baa-—-2018-conference.32279/#post-387059

Ha yeah, you might think that. I really don't want to make anyone any money. I really just want this to work for other people too and that I'm not just some kind of weird anomaly.

I'd definitely be knocking on their door pronto if it ever came back!
I am so glad you said this, I thought it would be very tactless to ask you whether as one of the early brilliant success stories you were officially employed by the company at all, I know it sounds crazy but this actually does happen quite a lot for other devices, for example as mentioned for the Essure contraceptive Device. A tinnitus treatment that actually worked would not have to resort to the same kind of marketing tactics as a company marketing a surgical contraceptive device, because it would not have the same well evidenced pre-existing low risk competition in the market. This thing is going to sell even if there is only a 10% chance of it helping people!

Clare you are a wonderful and kind person to come back and give so many people here hope out of the goodness of your heart, it must be wonderful to have silence again.

Like others I wondered where the other success stories from your trial are. But it's not super surprising for you to be the only one on a forum even if there have been others, because when people get better they tend to go about their lives and try to forget their illness, by and large.

From what I understand there was some kind of initial clinical trial that has completed prior to the current larger clinical trial? - not sure which one you were in. But I do wish they would publish that initial one, even if they only have a success rate of 10% above placebo for tinnitus that still would be very significant, amd better marketing than the usual methods.

I honestly don't know if they did a hearing test beyond 8000 Hz, they didn't go into detail like that. The audiologist just said my hearing was perfect and I was consistent in my test results.
Thanks for your reply!

I'm just thinking out loud here... but it's quite interesting that you did not have any hearing loss but the MuteButton people claim that the device is setup/tailored according to the patient's hearing test. So in the case of the patient not having any noticeable hearing loss below 8kHz, how is it then setup? Is there a "no-hearing-loss" -setup? And since the test is not done above 8Khz, are hearing loss and tinnitus frequencies at higher levels "automatically" covered when doing a sub-8Khz setup of the device?

One more question for you @Clare B - I think you wrote it in one of your earlier posts, but I forgot; what type of noise was your tinnitus? Was it a very high pitched/hissing sound? Or was it a tonal sound that you could easily match up to a frequency-note?

Thanks again!

@Clare B, you are so kind. I am so so happy this treatment worked for you. Thank you for coming here to share your experience and give us all some hope. I wish you the best life you can ever have. May God bless you abundantly!
Thank you so much, what a lovely thing to say. I really hope it works for others too. It would be wonderful!

Thanks for your reply!

I'm just thinking out loud here... but it's quite interesting that you did not have any hearing loss but the MuteButton people claim that the device is setup/tailored according to the patient's hearing test. So in the case of the patient not having any noticeable hearing loss below 8kHz, how is it then setup? Is there a "no-hearing-loss" -setup? And since the test is not done above 8Khz, are hearing loss and tinnitus frequencies at higher levels "automatically" covered when doing a sub-8Khz setup of the device?

One more question for you @Clare B - I think you wrote it in one of your earlier posts, but I forgot; what type of noise was your tinnitus? Was it a very high pitched/hissing sound? Or was it a tonal sound that you could easily match up to a frequency-note?

Thanks again!
Maybe it's still set to the audiogram that was taken. Hearing loss is only so when it is greater than 20 dB so even if the audiogram is mostly 5-10 dB it can still be set to that.

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks again!
This also fascinates me a lot. I have "perfect" hearing, and was a little worried about it, until I saw that Clara had perfect hearing as well. I'm almost certain it really is just hyperactive nerves in the DCN, so if that's the case, this device would make a ton of sense in lowering people's perception of tinnitus. I doubt it will hit the United States until 2020, but I'm thankful there are people out there who truly care about this condition. It's refreshing that there are also people like @Clare B who are willing to come back and give hope.

Maybe it's still set to the audiogram that was taken. Hearing loss is only so when it is greater than 20 dB so even if the audiogram is mostly 5-10 dB it can still be set to that.
Yep, that's true. This is what I'm thinking as well.

I am so glad you said this, I thought it would be very tactless to ask you whether as one of the early brilliant success stories you were officially employed by the company at all, I know it sounds crazy but this actually does happen quite a lot for other devices, for example as mentioned for the Essure contraceptive Device. A tinnitus treatment that actually worked would not have to resort to the same kind of marketing tactics as a company marketing a surgical contraceptive device, because it would not have the same well evidenced pre-existing low risk competition in the market. This thing is going to sell even if there is only a 10% chance of it helping people!

Clare you are a wonderful and kind person to come back and give so many people here hope out of the goodness of your heart, it must be wonderful to have silence again.

Like others I wondered where the other success stories from your trial are. But it's not super surprising for you to be the only one on a forum even if there have been others, because when people get better they tend to go about their lives and try to forget their illness, by and large.

From what I understand there was some kind of initial clinical trial that has completed prior to the current larger clinical trial? - not sure which one you were in. But I do wish they would publish that initial one, even if they only have a success rate of 10% above placebo for tinnitus that still would be very significant, amd better marketing than the usual methods.
Wow, I guess I'm pretty naive, that never even entered my head that companies would do that. Nope, definitely not an employee, in the past or present (or future)! I have to say though, everyone I came into contact with during the trial (all the employees etc) were very professional and kind.

It is wonderful to have silence again! (Understatement of the century!) Although sometimes I am a little afraid to listen to the silence for too long just in case I hear something again!

I agree, when people get better they tend to get on with their lives and want to forget about their illness. I had moved on already too, like I mentioned before it was only when that video interview came into my inbox and I was momentarily curious about the technology and research that it led me back here. I wasn't expecting to be staying this long but I have a different feeling here now, I'm no longer searching for something to help myself anymore. So, the very least I can do is come back here and spend a few minutes answering some questions or giving feedback, if it can help in any way.

I wasn't in the earlier trial, I was in one of the later trials, 2016/2017. I really thought they were bringing the device to market fairly soon after the trial. When I received the device, I thought it looked very sleek (white and 'Mac' like!), the headphones were comfy to use, I really thought it was a finished product. I wasn't really thinking about when they were going to be selling this, I was thinking 'man, I really hope this works'...

Thanks for your kind comments! : )

Thanks for your reply!

Thanks again!
No problem. Yes, I agree, I do think it's interesting I did not have any hearing loss. I keep reading that most tinnitus is linked with hearing loss or damage. I really don't know. Okay, so they set the device up by matching the tone of my tinnitus as closely as possible to a tone they played. While I was in the hearing test booth, they also matched the loudness of the tinnitus to a tone, as in when I couldn't hear it anymore. This took a while. I used to close my eyes in the booth to really concentrate on the sounds and get everything as accurate as possible. I'm not sure about higher level frequencies.

My tinnitus was only in my right ear. It was like a beep, so I guess that would be described as tonal. It was a bit like Morse code. I would describe it almost like the beeps you would hear when you pressed the buttons on old mobile phones (not sure you're old enough to remember that!). It had a certain rhythm, the beeps were at a consistent speed. It was ALL the time. It came on gradually, quieter at first and then became louder. For ages I had no idea what it was (or what tinnitus was) and was asking people around me could they hear this beeping, I'm sure they thought I was losing it!

Just one more thing before I head off. I'm not sure if I said already but the device played a whole range of tones, not just the one that matched my tinnitus sound. It didn't play them in a sequence either (as in low to high), it was very varied, high one second, low the next. It wasn't unpleasant to listen to and not loud, just a little boring sometimes but a good opportunity to relax and zone out, while hopefully fixing my tinnitus!

Wow, I guess I'm pretty naive, that never even entered my head that companies would do that. Nope, definitely not an employee, in the past or present (or future)! I have to say though, everyone I came into contact with during the trial (all the employees etc) were very professional and kind.

It is wonderful to have silence again! (Understatement of the century!) Although sometimes I am a little afraid to listen to the silence for too long just in case I hear something again!

I agree, when people get better they tend to get on with their lives and want to forget about their illness. I had moved on already too, like I mentioned before it was only when that video interview came into my inbox and I was momentarily curious about the technology and research that it led me back here. I wasn't expecting to be staying this long but I have a different feeling here now, I'm no longer searching for something to help myself anymore. So, the very least I can do is come back here and spend a few minutes answering some questions or giving feedback, if it can help in any way.

I wasn't in the earlier trial, I was in one of the later trials, 2016/2017. I really thought they were bringing the device to market fairly soon after the trial. When I received the device, I thought it looked very sleek (white and 'Mac' like!), the headphones were comfy to use, I really thought it was a finished product. I wasn't really thinking about when they were going to be selling this, I was thinking 'man, I really hope this works'...

So you're genuinely in silence SILENCE?!

Very interesting. Did they follow you up for 12 months and/or are they still contacting you now for outcome data? A 12 month follow-up is mentioned in the video which would explain some of the delay. Clinical trials not reporting sometimes isn't great news for the overall efficacy… But there can be all sorts of reasons for it.

Also can I check, how long had you had your tinnitus for before you first used the device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now