• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Rattle/Distortion When Listening to Music

Jason C

Author
Sep 24, 2016
Tinnitus Since
29 May 2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Burgler Alarm
I have this rattle/distortion when listening to music, really annoying.

Obviously I have hidden hearing loss causing tinnitus, thing is though my hearing is actually pretty good, voices are clear etc I can hear pin drop, but music sounds terrible.

Any idea on what causes this or is it the obvious??

Here is my hearing test from a phone app. I am 37.

4B1EE14E-CB28-40C1-8C44-CA53C862B73E_zpsz3p9fs7g.png

Maybe it's your hearing beyond 8kHz. My right ear goes down to 30 Hz and 35 Hz but I don't experience the distortion you mention. I can hear up to 18 kHz also.

I don't think they even test up past 8 kHz, the one I saw didn't. I had the full one done in a hearing aid shop.

I did too, at a hearing aid centre, at the time it did show a dip at 4 kHz 3 months in, which I was also able to replicate using my own equipment, but now using the same equipment the dip has gone.

My hearing was worse last August (3 months in) but tinnitus is still very much there.

Ever since my acoustic trauma four years ago, certain music distorts at high frequency and after moderate volume. Foo Fighters are a group that I can no longer listen to at loud volume. Ditto some violin, e.g., Oliver Colbenson.

Is what it is...I don't worry about it, I just keep the volume moderate to low.

Foo Fighters are a group that I can no longer listen to at loud volume.

It may not be a good idea to listen to any music at loud volume, given that you've already insulted your hearing apparatus with an acoustic trauma.

It may not be a good idea to listen to any music at loud volume, given that you've already insulted your hearing apparatus with an acoustic trauma.

By loud volume I don't mean concert levels. More like a "6" on an amp that "goes to 11." I suppose that's moderate for most people. (Music didn't hear my ears, a gunshot did). All subjective, I suppose, and my post didn't quantify the volume.

By loud volume I don't mean concert levels. More like a "6" on an amp that "goes to 11." I suppose that's moderate for most people. (Music didn't hear my ears, a gunshot did). All subjective, I suppose, and my post didn't quantify the volume.

It was a crazy loud alarm external sounder that caused mine. Worse in the left ear but the distortion in music kills me.

I'm totally having this rattling sound in my right ear when my phone rings or I listen to something loud or I ride my motorcycle :/ especially on the motorcycle ‍♂️

I have this rattle/distortion when listening to music, really annoying.

Obviously I have hidden hearing loss causing tinnitus, thing is though my hearing is actually pretty good, voices are clear etc I can hear pin drop, but music sounds terrible.

View attachment 12238

Jason, did this distortion kind of sound like someone talking/singing through a fan? Because that's what I've been experiencing for the past few days, and I'm trying to see if anyone on this forum has ever dealt with this before.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now