Egg

Author
Jun 3, 2018
Tinnitus Since
2/6/2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic Trauma (Concert)
Hi,

I've recently been exposed to a pretty loud fire alarm (for like 30-45 seconds until I was able to get a hold of my ear muffs) and then exited quickly (within 2-3 minutes). I am afraid this has caused additional ear damage.

Background info: I got tinnitus due to acoustic trauma around 4 months ago. It's been pretty low (only audible in quiet places) but consistent since then. I got an initial treatment of steroids and the last hearing test showed very good hearing in up to very high frequencies. It seems that the 2 doctors I saw agree that my tinnitus may be more tied to anxiety regarding it rather than the sound itself.

Anyway I'm wondering what everybody thinks? How do you deal with this type of exposure to fire alarms and potentially harmful sounds?

Has your tinnitus increased? If not, then I think you are okay. Some people have delayed tinnitus spikes, but that doesn't mean its a permanent spike and will most likely be temporary.

Has your tinnitus increased? If not, then I think you are okay. Some people have delayed tinnitus spikes, but that doesn't mean its a permanent spike and will most likely be temporary.
It's been like 40 minutes now. Not noticeably louder but I do feel like my ears are stuffier than usual

It's been like 40 minutes now. Not noticeably louder but I do feel like my ears are stuffier than usual

It is normal for your ears to feel full sometimes after sound exposure especially if your sensitive to sound. Try to stay relaxed and calm as anxiety can make your perceive tinnitus worse than it is. If it would make you feel better, there has been some scientific (questionable) and anecdotal evidence that taking NAC and Magnesium supplements may help reduce damage to sound after exposure.

Since your tinnitus hasn't spiked I assume you will be okay.

It is normal for your ears to feel full sometimes after sound exposure especially if your sensitive to sound. Try to stay relaxed and calm as anxiety can make your perceive tinnitus worse than it is. If it would make you feel better, there has been some scientific (questionable) and anecdotal evidence that taking NAC and Magnesium supplements may help reduce damage to sound after exposure.

Since your tinnitus hasn't spiked I assume you will be okay.
Thank you that makes me feel better! I'm already on magnesium and vitamin B supplements (I've been them regularly for the past 4 months)

Thank you that makes me feel better! I'm already on magnesium and vitamin B supplements (I've been them regularly for the past 4 months)

Good! Look into NAC as well.

@Egg,
Don't worry and don't dwell on it as that alone will spike your tinnitus and I'm sure you should be fine.

love glynis

This is why I avoid malls any more, i really miss malls =[

Some times I would look up the location of a buildings fire alarm systems and try to avoid those places, it can help...but if i knew i was going to one of those places I always have my plugs in, you just never know. Best of luck to you, but i think you will be fine...you seem to have it figured out =]

Nearly any loud noise tends to make my tinnitus spike. I find loud noises pretty much unavoidable most days. People yelling, children crying, sirens wizzing by... it all makes me cringe and undoes any progress I've might have made ignoring the T that day. I've had pretty minimal additional hearing loss over the years according to my regular audiologist visits though...

This is why I avoid malls any more, i really miss malls =[

Some times I would look up the location of a buildings fire alarm systems and try to avoid those places, it can help...but if i knew i was going to one of those places I always have my plugs in, you just never know. Best of luck to you, but i think you will be fine...you seem to have it figured out =]
Thanks! Good luck to you too.
Unfortunately I'm in university with a large campus and it seems like fire alarms go off more often than I'd expect in lecture halls (an additional sirens of campus police, fire trucks etc.). Hard to avoid while still trying to go to class :(

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now