Regular Tinnitus Appears Worse After an Episode of Fleeting Tinnitus

quietatnight

Author
Jul 7, 2014
Rockford IL
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic trauma / firecracker
Has anyone ever experienced an increase in their regular tinnitus after having an episode of "fleeting tinnitus"? That seems to be what happened to me recently, which is unusual because I've had hundreds of fleeting tinnitus episodes over the years without any issues. Normally, the fleeting tinnitus fades away within a few seconds.

However, a few days ago, something unexpected happened. I was shaving with my electric shaver, and I usually wear earplugs while shaving because the noise tends to aggravate my tinnitus. During this time, I experienced an episode of fleeting tinnitus in my right ear (my "good" ear). I stopped shaving and waited for the episode to pass, as I've done countless times before. After it subsided, I continued shaving the other side of my face.

When I finished, I noticed that the tinnitus in my right ear was louder than usual, almost like a spike. I tried to reassure myself that it was nothing and that a good night's sleep would bring my tinnitus back to its normal baseline, as it always has. The next morning, my right ear had improved somewhat, but now my left ear (my "bad" ear) was experiencing a loud spike. I couldn't believe it.

Could the fleeting tinnitus episode have affected my regular tinnitus, especially since I was wearing earplugs and exposed to the noise from the shaver? I can't recall ever having an episode of fleeting tinnitus while wearing earplugs before, so I'm wondering if that combination could have triggered this reaction.

Apologies for the long post; I just wanted to include all the details. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I appreciate any responses.

Louie
Quietatnight

Have you considered NOT using an electric shaver from now on?

Do you want to take the risk of this happening again?
Yes, I have considered going back to using a regular manual razor. I really didn't want to switch back, but I will if I have to. I've been using an electric shaver for over 20 years, always with earplugs, and I've never had any issues. This last time, I experienced a brief tinnitus episode while shaving, even with earplugs in; a rare occurrence that's never happened in all these years.

It seems unlikely that this episode would cause a lasting spike, and I doubt it will happen again. I've wondered whether using the electric shaver could cause a spike due to bone conduction. Some people say it's possible, but it hasn't seemed to affect me. For now, I'm just avoiding loud sounds and giving my ears time to heal, as I've done in the past.

Thank you for your reply.

Louie
Quietatnight

I've been experiencing increased tinnitus for the past three weeks, which started after a one-hour episode of what I believe was fleeting tinnitus. I'm not entirely sure if I can call it fleeting tinnitus, but it felt exactly like that; a sudden, loud, high-pitched sound that takes over the ear.

I suspect this might be related to the position of my neck and jaw, especially since I have TMJ issues. When the episode happened, I was sitting in front of my computer. For about a week afterward, I would experience fleeting tinnitus whenever I sat at my computer. My tinnitus has also shifted from being constant to highly somatic, and I've been dealing with a lot of neck and jaw stiffness and pain.

It's possible that the sounds from my computer triggered this, but I'm leaning more toward a muscle-related cause.

I've been experiencing increased tinnitus for the past three weeks, which started after a one-hour episode of what I believe was fleeting tinnitus. I'm not entirely sure if I can call it fleeting tinnitus, but it felt exactly like that; a sudden, loud, high-pitched sound that takes over the ear.

I suspect this might be related to the position of my neck and jaw, especially since I have TMJ issues. When the episode happened, I was sitting in front of my computer. For about a week afterward, I would experience fleeting tinnitus whenever I sat at my computer. My tinnitus has also shifted from being constant to highly somatic, and I've been dealing with a lot of neck and jaw stiffness and pain.

It's possible that the sounds from my computer triggered this, but I'm leaning more toward a muscle-related cause.
You have some good questions. I've had TMJ for many years, but it never seemed to affect my tinnitus. I've never heard of an episode of fleeting tinnitus lasting an hour; typically, it lasts only seconds, usually less than a minute.

As for your computer affecting you, unless it has very loud cooling fans, I wouldn't think it should matter. One possibility could be your computer monitor. Monitors have a high-voltage flyback transformer that can produce a high-frequency sound, though this only applies to desktops, not laptops. I know this because I used to own computer sales and service stores, and I've heard that sound many times before.

I hope you get to the bottom of your problem; I know it can be frustrating. Let me know how this turns out.

Good luck!

Louie
Quietatnight

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now