• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Repeated Bilateral Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation over Auditory Cortex for Tinnitus

Ngo13

Author
May 12, 2022
Tinnitus Since
01/2022
Cause of Tinnitus
Baby scream (acoustic trauma)
I've come across this trial for tDCS, and the results look promising. I'll admit I don't have a ton of knowledge about tDCS, but this trial found statistically significant results in lowered THI score, as well as distress and loudness VAS. It also included a placebo group and the results of the active treatment seem to have some lingering effect.

Repeated Bilateral Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation over Auditory Cortex for Tinnitus Treatment: A Double-Blinded Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial

One neat thing is that the device they used is already available. Looks like you can get one for $500.

To our knowledge, this is the first double blinded randomized placebo-controlled trial investigating the effect of repeated sessions of bilateral anodal/cathodal tDCS over left/right AC with one month follow-up for the treatment of chronic intractable tinnitus.
So nobody has done repeated sessions of bilateral anodal/cathodal tDCS over left/right AC before?

One neat thing is that the device they used is already available. Looks like you can get one for $500.
Do you have any experience using an Oasis Pro, or do you know anyone who has used one? I think it would be good for sleep and anxiety instead of pharmaceuticals.

Do you have any experience using an Oasis Pro, or do you know anyone who has used one? I think it would be good for sleep and anxiety instead of pharmaceuticals.
I know nothing about it. I just googled the device mentioned in the study and noticed it could be bought.

I'd be willing to try Oasis Pro. Does anyone know if it's possible to determine where exactly they placed the electrode? Is there a more detailed paper available somewhere?

upload_2024-7-25_14-13-18.jpeg

(b) is the auditory cortex. You will likely need the electrodes and sponges with the same placement, size, and current as in the paper. It's not as easy as one would think, but it might be worth it. I think you will need 35cm² sponges - for 5x7cm electrodes.

Treatment parameters:
  • Electrode size
  • Polarity
  • Electrode placement and configuration
  • Current amplitude and density
  • Treatment duration
  • Number of sessions and total dose

The results are quite impressive. They are all chronic cases, with the treatment group's THI going down to 46 from 73. The placebo showed no change.

God knows why this is not in the tDCS thread, but hey, it's certainly doing something.

It sounds like you can just buy a device, strap it to your head, and zap yourself. But I'm personally a little wary of doing that with as little medical knowledge as I have.

I found this program.

I'm doing a screening call with them later in the month. They lease you a device and walk you through the treatment program.

They said they have not had any tinnitus patients yet.

It sounds like you can just buy a device, strap it to your head, and zap yourself. But I'm personally a little wary of doing that with as little medical knowledge as I have.

I found this program.

I'm doing a screening call with them later in the month. They lease you a device and walk you through the treatment program.

I believe the "Flow Neuroscience" device, a new take-home treatment for depression recently launched in the UK, works in a similar way. I've read reviews where people have experienced significant improvements in their depression and seen their lives change for the better. However, I've also come across reports of some users experiencing side effects like tinnitus. I think this may be related to the placement of the stimulation. Good luck!

I found this program.

Wow -- please keep us posted. It looks like the visits are virtual, so it would be available to those not in the NY area. I'll be curious to find out the cost, since all the treatments are supervised. Maybe we could get together and sponsor someone to try it?

I found this program.

I looked at the program, and I did not see that it can treat tinnitus, did you?

I've done the initial consultation. It was via Zoom and cost $250. They have not treated tinnitus before, but they are familiar with the studies and are willing to try it with me. I'm currently in the process of ordering the headset from them.

It's all virtual. I am on the US West Coast, which is not a problem. I will post as I learn more.

To temper expectations, I should also share that they said there are far more studies that show tDCS does not help tinnitus than there are studies that show it does.

They are skeptical it will help, but are willing to let me try.

I've done the initial consultation. It was via Zoom and cost $250. They have not treated tinnitus before, but they are familiar with the studies and are willing to try it with me. I'm currently in the process of ordering the headset from them.

It's all virtual. I am on the US West Coast, which is not a problem. I will post as I learn more.

To temper expectations, I should also share that they said there are far more studies that show tDCS does not help tinnitus than there are studies that show it does.

They are skeptical it will help, but are willing to let me try.
Are they telling you where to place the electrodes? There are a couple of places in the UK that offer this treatment specifically for tinnitus. I've never looked into them, but my understanding is that the placement of the electrodes varies depending on the condition being treated.

I also want to wish you the best of luck!

Do you know which ones they are?
Hey Nick,

The rTMS Centre

The London Psychiatry Centre

The first one conducts a QEEG before treatment, which makes it feel like they take a more targeted approach. I was only hesitant because of the story I found here about @JoeBattams, but I understand that his case was more related to noise exposure.

One would hope that the institutions mentioned above have experience treating people and know the best placement for the electrodes.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now