• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Ringing Sound When I Burp?

Hariz Nonis

Author
Sep 19, 2015
Singapore
Tinnitus Since
09/2015
Cause of Tinnitus
Unknown
So I'm going through what is possibly reactive tinnitus/dysacusis.

I visited the doctor last Friday, and the simple tests she did seem to show that I may have conductive hearing loss. My Eustachian Tube Dysfunction could be the cause or a contributing factor to this. I just bought a nasal spray to help deal with my ETD.

I notice that when I burp, or am about to burp(when the air is kind of in the throat, almost coming out), my affected ear rings, seemingly in response to the air pressure or something like that. It goes away after I burp. It also doesn't always happen. There are times when I've burped without any ringing.

I'm really curious about why this is happening. Is it because of my ETD? Or is there something else going on?

For those who want to know more about my current episode:
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-my-respiratory-system-causing-the-ringing-i-hear.32703/

There's a relationship of acid reflux tied to ETD and T/ H.
Agree w/ @Bill Bauer's suggested - stop carbonated drinks. Modify your diet to lessen acid/air, drink more water and see if this helps the ear functioning.

There's a relationship of acid reflux tied to ETD and T/ H.
Agree w/ @Bill Bauer's suggested - stop carbonated drinks. Modify your diet to lessen acid/air, drink more water and see if this helps the ear functioning.

I've cut down on carbonated drinks by quite a lot the past week. What about coffee/tea, and the likes of them?

I've cut down on carbonated drinks by quite a lot the past week. What about coffee/tea, and the likes of them?
Unfortunately, spicy foods, coffee can (acidic). Tea not so much - decaf. is ideal. Creates inflammation up through esophagus to the ear(s). There's a thread somewhere about probiotics, gastritis, meds etc. that may be useful.

Look up on internet of what foods to avoid that causes acid reflux, plus research ETD's relationship to silent acid reflux disease. Did your ENT ask or tell you this? If these are your symptoms, I believe your ears will heal in time following care. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately, spicy foods, coffee can (acidic). Tea not so much - decaf. is ideal. Creates inflammation up through esophagus to the ear(s). There's a thread somewhere about probiotics, gastritis, meds etc. that may be useful.

Oh man, gotta ask my mum to cut down on the chili when she cooks. Jokes aside, I just know about all this after you said so. I guess I have some research to do now.

Look up on internet of what foods to avoid that causes acid reflux, plus research ETD's relationship to silent acid reflux disease. Did your ENT ask or tell you this? If these are your symptoms, I believe your ears will heal in time following care. Hope this helps.

I didn't know all this could be related to my ETD. Have you already read my thread that I linked above?
I haven't seen an ENT yet. My appoinment is on the 27th. I guess I'll have to discuss this with them on that day.

Oh man, gotta ask my mum to cut down on the chili when she cooks. Jokes aside, I just know about all this after you said so. I guess I have some research to do now.

I didn't know all this could be related to my ETD. Have you already read my thread that I linked above?
I haven't seen an ENT yet. My appoinment is on the 27th. I guess I'll have to discuss this with them on that day.

Yes, I recently read your prior thread and they appear to still point to eustachian tube and middle ear dysfunction. Abnormal Weber test was an indicator, which hopefully you'll find out more on the 27th. Acid reflux could be one of the factors (to keep in mind) exacerbating ETD, because you mentioned the pop, the "burping" issues and feeling better AFTER getting up in the mornings. Voice resonating in your head etc. You didn't mention sinus or lung congestion issues but possible allergies. Info. from other members were helpful too. Only you know your body, and what you feel. Look up ETD and silent acid reflux to see if it fits your symptoms. Massage your neck/jaw area at times to relax and share the food concerns w/ your mum to help make some adjustments too? (lighten up on the hot peppers!)

Prepare for your appt. Write down your symptoms w/ questions and things you've learned to ask ENT, before you forget.

Yes, I recently read your prior thread and they appear to still point to eustachian tube and middle ear dysfunction. Abnormal Weber test was an indicator, which hopefully you'll find out more on the 27th.

Yeah, this is still my primary suspect. The nasal spray seems to be helping with getting the tubes to open up more.

You didn't mention sinus or lung congestion issues but possible allergies.

I've been having sinus for years, I don't know why this time it could be worse than usual. I guess it's due to the potential allergies in my current environment.

Look up ETD and silent acid reflux to see if it fits your symptoms.

Yeah, I recently saw a thread on the forum about this, seems I'll have to read it in detail now.

Massage your neck/jaw area at times to relax

Does this help?

I experienced this for one day. And it was actually more like hyper acusis which sucks. I love burping.

It was only around for one day? How did you get rid of it?
Man, my tinnitus has fluctuated in many strange ways. I had a month long spike from more noise exposures and i started having bad hyperacusis, and hearing birds and crickets, it all went back down to baseline. Now I just hear a tone mostly in my left ear and a high frequency hiss/TV sound. I dont think I did anything to directly affect it, maybe curcumin did it. I was on alot of that stuff.

Man, my tinnitus has fluctuated in many strange ways. I had a month long spike from more noise exposures and i started having bad hyperacusis, and hearing birds and crickets, it all went back down to baseline. Now I just hear a tone mostly in my left ear and a high frequency hiss/TV sound. I dont think I did anything to directly affect it, maybe curcumin did it. I was on alot of that stuff.

Did you wear headphones? Or was it your surroundings that caused your spike?

Well, I can only pray and hope that it gets better for me. And for you too. For all of us, really.

Where did you obtain curcumin? And what are the benefits of it?
I got Jarrow brand curcumin from a local health store. I was taking super high doses enough to turn my hands and feet yellow. I actually experienced silence several times and at night my tinnitus seemed to totally disappear.

https://www.puritan.com/jarrow-bran...arty&msclkid=d2d35397674e195462110f87006be543

Sometimes, when I yawn, I also hear the ringing in the same ear. Is it because of the same reason as when I burp?

Also, do you think what I'm going through could be somatic T?
I think it is likely somatic T. When I move my jaw out, my T gets louder. You seem to be experiencing something very similar.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now