Seeking Advice on Managing Tinnitus with Work-Related Headphone Use

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cankom, May 30, 2024.

1. Cankom

Cankom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced or Meniere's
      Hi there,

I've been using headphones for work over the past 2.5 years. I started in sales and now work as an IT Support Rep, which requires me to take calls constantly. For the past year, I've been suffering from tinnitus. Although the doctors haven't found any major issues with my hearing or eardrums, I suspect that prolonged headphone use might be worsening my tinnitus.

I recently purchased Bose 700 headphones with excellent active noise cancellation and a great microphone. They seem sufficient for my needs, primarily since I work from home. However, I'm concerned about my tinnitus potentially getting worse.

What strategies should I follow to prevent further aggravation of my tinnitus? Should I consider switching to a different type of headphones, or would it be better to use foam earplugs underneath them? Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

Thank you!

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Cankom,

I have read your first post to Tinnitus Talk. You mentioned an appointment to see an ENT was coming up. Has your doctor diagnosed you with Meniere's disease? Or is something else causing the vertigo and dizziness that you speak of? It is important to know what is causing these symptoms because Meniere's can cause tinnitus as well as other underlying medical conditions within the auditory system.

You mentioned being exposed to loud noises while working in construction, using noisy power tools, and attending clubs where loud music was played. Back then, you were also a regular user of headphones and worked in IT wearing a headset, similar to what you are presently doing.

Your tinnitus could be coming from more than one source. Exposure to loud noise and regularly listening to audio through headphones at too high a volume without realizing it can often cause tinnitus. Not giving the ears sufficient rest when using headphones or headsets can also cause tinnitus or make existing tinnitus worse.

I have corresponded with many people who work in call centers who wear headsets for long durations and find they have developed tinnitus. Please understand that I am not saying everyone who works in a call center and wears a headset will develop tinnitus or use headsets for other types of work. However, it is my belief one is prone to develop tinnitus if they wear headsets for long durations or listen to audio through headphones, earbuds, AirPods, noise-canceling, and bone conduction headphones at too high a volume, which can easily be achieved. The ear canal is approximately 25mm in length, so prolonged use of the above devices, especially when listening at too high a volume, can cause tinnitus.

Since you now have tinnitus, you need to be careful because you could make it worse by using headsets or listening to audio through headphones, earbuds, etc., even at low volume.

My advice is not absolute because we are all different, so it's a decision you will have to make whether to continue wearing a headset and listening to audio through headphones. If I were in your position, I would consult with my ENT to find out whether I do have Meniere's and, if so, get treatment for it. If I were still experiencing vertigo and dizziness, I asked to be examined to determine what was causing these symptoms.

I would consider changing my job to one where I am not wearing a headset and no longer listen to audio through any headphones, even at low volume. I would think carefully before attending venues where loud music is played and not put trust in noise-reducing earplugs. If the external sound is loud enough, it can pass through the head and transfer to the inner ear by bone conduction and spike the tinnitus. The spike might reduce after a short while, but there is a risk of the tinnitus increasing to a new permanent level.

Please click the link below and read my thread: Will My Tinnitus Get Worse?

I wish you well,
      Michael

Will My Tinnitus Get Worse? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Funny Funny x 2
    3. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      If you work from home, why not use a Jabra conference speakerphone? I have several meetings a day and never use headphones in calls at home. The Jabra doesn't give me any issues.

4. Rainer

Rainer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      One danger can be the uneven loudness of your headphones/speaker output. For instance, you may adjust your volume to understand what your communication partner says comfortably, but then you're put on hold and assaulted by an insanely loud elevator muzak.

If such scenarios seem familiar or otherwise likely, you might want to look into using an audio compressor/limiter to control the loudness range of your sound exposure.

Generally speaking, these are devices that can limit the volume of audio output while at the same time increasing the volume of soft sounds so that the audio volume can be automatically kept in a comfortable range.

I know nothing about your setup (e.g., whether you have to work with a company laptop, etc.), but it's entirely possible that you already have such a device as part of Windows 10.