• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Seeking Support for Severe Tinnitus Spike After Very Loud Restaurant with DJ Playing Music

Smartone202

Author
Aug 29, 2018
Tinnitus Since
Very low since2004/Went haywire in 2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Loud noise in 04/Wedding dance floor and flying(?) in 18
I am a 40-year-old male looking for serious support and help. I've been dealing with tinnitus in my left ear since July 2018. After about a year, the noise subsided somewhat, partly due to habituation. It was a nightmare on and off, to say the least. Since then, I've managed to get on with my life reasonably well, but I've experienced quite a few spikes over the years, all noise-related. Most of these spikes have subsided within a few weeks, though I believe one or two may have lasted over a month.

These spikes typically occurred after being exposed to loud environments, like bars with loud music or sudden noises like fire alarms. I remember one spike triggered by something as simple as not holding the toilet seat down in a small bathroom, causing a noise that lasted several weeks. Despite this, I've done my best to protect my fragile left ear (and ears in general) since my tinnitus began. Occasionally, I've been careless, especially when my tinnitus seemed under control, which leads me to my current situation.

On Saturday, August 31st, over three weeks ago, I went out with friends. We ended up in a very loud restaurant with a dance floor downstairs where a DJ was playing music. I hadn't been near anything like this in years, and although it was loud, I had gone so long without a spike that I didn't think much of it. We spent about half an hour near the DJ booth, catching up and enjoying the music. But soon after leaving, my tinnitus flared up. I stayed calm, knowing this usually passes.

However, it's now been 26 days, and I'm getting nervous. This spike is probably the worst I've ever experienced and has consumed my life. My anxiety is sky-high, and between that and the louder noise, I've been sleeping poorly every night. I struggle to listen to music at any volume and feel stressed and depressed. The noise is intense and unbearable at times. Instead of my regular tinnitus being louder, it's more of a "head buzz" or high-pitched screeching noise layered on top of my usual tinnitus, which I have experienced before years ago. It feels like my ear and head are going haywire. I can still hear my baseline tinnitus underneath it all, but the sleep disruption is the worst part, making many days almost unbearable.

Every morning, I wake up briefly, and instead of falling back asleep, the high-pitched tinnitus and anxiety prevent me from getting the rest I need, leaving me exhausted.

Despite all this, I'm trying to stay optimistic and have promised myself never to put myself in such situations again. I'm making an effort to remain calm and manage my anxiety, but it's been really tough. I'm also dealing with several other personal issues, which has only added to my stress and depression. I'm here hoping to hear other stories, learn how long spikes typically last, and find some guidance.

Thank you for reading.

Hi!

I have a similar story: I was wearing custom-molded -25 dB linear musician earplugs at a bar and spent a few hours on the dance floor, only to realize (once again) that these earplugs may not be the best when things get really loud! Next time, I'll either avoid such loud environments or use -30 dB foam earplugs, even though the music won't sound as good with them.

Once you have tinnitus, you tend to be more sensitive to new noise trauma and spikes. For me, masking works best for rehabituation after spikes, so I recommend doing this as much as possible, even at night. By the way, I highly recommend the new Soundcore A20 sleep buds for masking, especially when you need to block external noise while managing your tinnitus.

Relax your mind as much as possible and focus on getting your sleep back, using supplements or medication if necessary. Try to stay active with some sport or exercise, but don't overdo it; just enough to keep your body moving. Don't be too hard on yourself, and keep hoping for habituation to return. It probably will!

Most importantly, protect your ears carefully and avoid loud noises in the future.

Hang in there. You're not alone!

Don't be too hard on yourself, and keep hoping for habituation to return. It probably will!
The problem is that I can't get used to what's happening in my head right now. It needs to calm down because living like this long-term is not sustainable.

Hey, I'm in a similar situation. I'm not sure of the cause, either two long drives or abruptly coming off Gabapentin. I'm trying to get some Diazepam to calm me down because I can't function right now.

For me, masking works best for rehabituation after spikes, so I recommend doing this as much as possible
How when they can't listen to music?
or abruptly coming off Gabapentin.
I take this as well. How long were you on it, and what dosage were you taking? Yes, tapering is the way to go.

Hindsight is wonderful!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now