Sizzling/Hissing Noise in Head

Discussion in 'Support' started by Deamon22, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
    2. Sugarpuddle
      Worried

Sugarpuddle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection
      Any menthol spray will do. Yes it's the critical aspect because it heals inflammation and cells. It's also not addictive like steroid sprays. It's all natural and way better for you. And it's working for me. The changes are very gradual but there's definite improvement after 7 months of this hell.

And if you have sinus issues it is very likely that's linked to your tinnitus.

3. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I'm chuckling as I read this because yes, I've had everything that you mentioned and more including multiple surgeries. This is not my first rodeo ;)

I was interested in your experiment with rubbing your jaw and Capsaicin because I'm always looking for ways to ease a flare up when the tinnitus spikes. Rubbing the mastoid area sometimes helps, but I hadn't really focused on the jaw. Turns out it doesn't help, but it was worth a try.

The reason I have tinnitus also has to do with hearing loss, though I had hearing loss for many years before the tinnitus (go figure). An ear infection somehow triggered it. Once triggered, it didn't stop. It's most likely a brain thing. And a big question is why tinnitus goes away for some, but stays with others. Millions of dollars are being spent researching this. I would love to be able to just fix it with nasal spray.

About the hiss, one of the many, many, many audiologists I've seen told me that the reason some people have a hiss rather than a tone is that the hiss sound is the same frequency as the hearing loss. So even though it is a hiss that sounds like air or wind rushing through a pipe, it is not the actual sound of air going through the Eustachian tube, it is just the brain playing tinnitus at a frequency the auditory nerve misses. It's filling in the blanks, so to speak.

You mentioned Eustachian tube dysfunction being a marathon, not a sprint, and that is SO correct. I've experienced that along the journey and, once it gets clogged, it takes a while to clear up. If your tinnitus is caused by ETD, keep being patient and using all of your sinus clearing tricks. You may find the tinnitus sticks around for a while after the ETD is fixed, but if you don't have a permanent mechanical hearing issue, it will probably fade away.

4. Samwise_The_Loud
      Cloud9

Samwise_The_Loud Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress/Noise Exposure
      This has been my exact experience as well, in addition to noise having an effect as @Sugarpuddle mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Interesting @Samwise_The_Loud, so your tinnitus is on/off by the day too?
      I tried to find the reference but couldn't. What kind of effect does noise have for you?

6. Simona
      Sleepy

Simona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would be interested to know if anyone can report whether the hissing noise has disappeared again?

In my case, it appeared after a middle ear infection, which was 6 weeks ago. The hissing is not always equally loud, it is usually more intense in the evening. As was suggested, I use menthol nasal spray, at least it doesn't seem to do any harm (like some other medications that have only made things worse).

Does it just need more time or do I need to slowly get used to the idea that the noise might be permanent?