• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Sodium Reduced in Diet and Tinnitus Has Been Improving a Lot

Kent L

Author
Jul 9, 2017
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Ear infection, allergies, neti pot stage 2 suspected.
I've been reducing sodium in my diet and tinnitus has been improving a lot.

If you read food labels most of what is in the grocery store is loaded with sodium, and so is restaurant food. That makes following this path difficult.

It's been a about 4 months of trying to keep my sodium intake below 1,200 mg. I wish I could scientifically prove the connection to my tinnitus improvement, but I can't.

I'm just offering this information.

I hope I'm on to something. Actually, it's my wife's idea. She's the smart one. :)
So, go for it Paul10, and keep this thread going with great news!

I find my diet really impacts tinnitus, too. If I have too much salty or sweet food before bed, I usually wake up in the middle of the night to my tinnitus screaming.

I'm not sure why realizing this surprised me, I get migraine headaches and they're often triggered by my diet too.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

I tried to cut the sugar for few months in my diet and it has no effect on my tinnitus
I just want to share this experience as if you are willing to try it then don't expect any changes
while you mentioned the sodium diet I am willing to try it start from tomorrow and I am going to share my experience with you .
---

I recently visited MUSC audiology in Charleston, SC and the most helpful part was speaking to a nutritionist specifically about ear health. She discussed dietary changes for low sodium and also foods that promote low cholesterol and inflammation.

Regarding sodium, I gathered that there is a fine line between being hydrated enough vs too much, and that sodium can actually lead to liquid retention in the ear. She was more referring to Meniere's but I thought this was a pretty good piece of specific reasoning. Would also like to see actual research on the ear health and sodium connection. For now, I'm really trying to not add salt to foods.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now