Somatic Tracking for Hyperacusis

Discussion in 'Support' started by Elho, Jul 5, 2024.

1. Elho

Elho Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all.

Has anyone tried somatic tracking for hyperacusis?

After a failed attempt to remove earwax in both blocked ears using microsuction (it was too loud for me), my hyperacusis went from mild noise sensitivity to severe pain.

I thought I'd try somatic tracking to see if it can reduce the pain. I guess there is zero evidence on this, but I thought it was worth a trial, at least.

Cheers for any advice.

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If I were you, I would wait until I am seen by my audiologist for treatment. You can easily worsen your tinnitus and hyperacusis if you don't know what you're doing.

The ears and auditory system are not something to mess around with when you have tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Michael

3. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      It is completely safe to try out a protocol of somatic tracking, with mindfulness being one of the main components. Audiologist or not, tinnitus or not, it is safe no matter your alignments in life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Eleanor89
      Approved

Eleanor89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello @Elho,

I agree that somatic tracking is a form of meditation, similar to body scan meditation, and it is incredibly helpful.

I experienced something similar when I was struggling with pain. Somatic tracking helped me focus on the painful area, allowing me to observe and feel my symptoms objectively in the moment.

I tried many holistic approaches, including Julian Hill's craniosacral therapy, but unfortunately, it offered very little benefit.

However, I found massage and yoga to be very helpful.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elho

Elho Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your response, @Eleanor89.

May I ask you how long it took before you found the somatic tracking helpful? I'm doing it randomly throughout the day at the moment. I just started sitting and objectively observing, as you say.

6. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've done this type of exercise. It definitely helped me reduce my fear response to pain and discomfort from tinnitus and hyperacusis and gave me greater control. It may not be helpful, though, until you get a full understanding of your problems and that they haven't worsened or changed for a while.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elho

Elho Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for responding. Yes, it seems to be calming down a little already. I hope it continues!

• Like Like x 1
    8. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      Microsuction is the worst. I've had it done twice, and the second time gave me a horrible spike. In the future, find a skilled ENT and insist they get the wax out MANUALLY. It's very safe if done in the right hands.

My hyperacusis went 90% away over the course of 1-2 years. I can finally go into the kitchen without earplugs. It tends to go away more often than tinnitus does. In the meantime, just protect your ears and try to stay healthy. It'll probably go if you baby your ears.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Elho

Elho Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Unfortunately, my earwax is soft and sticky, so manual tools are useless, so I understand.

Many thanks for your words of encouragement.