Some thoughts about tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mr. Cartman, Apr 13, 2014.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Mr. Cartman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I really hope he can solve some of the puzzle for you. Please let me/us know if he has some useful information :)

2. jraulc_11
      Not amused

jraulc_11 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2014
      For sure ill keep you guys posted

• Like Like x 1
    3. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      predominantly in my right. Morse code in my left mostly but quiet.

4. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I really wish I knew. Going to doctors on Tuesday but I'm not expecting any info.

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      re somatic t

for all you interested in somatic t, Dr Susan Shore (can find her in google..bet youre all google experts now) has been conducting studies around this.

in a nutshell, she summises that when there is a lack of auditory input, other nerves ie somatic nerves try to compensate..but they end up overcompensate causing everything to get very noisy!

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thank you for posting this information.

"A new study from the University of Michigan, Kresge Hearing Research Institute, has found when the cochlea is damaged by loud noise or other causes, sensory nerves in the face and neck become overactive and contribute to the noise we know as tinnitus.

The direct implication of this research is that present-day therapies, such as acupuncture, when applied to the nerves in the face and neck, should have a beneficial effect on tinnitus loudness.

Susan Shore, PhD and her team at the Kresge Hearing Institute conducted the study on guinea pigs. It was published in the European Journal of Neuroscience. They conducted the research on 18 healthy female guinea pigs. Six were control animals and 12 were hearing impaired caused by exposure to loud broadband noise.

The researchers studied responses in the dorsal cochlear nucleus (DCN). The DCN is a neuron lobe that is the first relay station in the auditory system for signals from the cochlea on their way to the auditory cortex. It also contains multisensory neurons that receive signals from the trigeminal nerve system that contains sensory information from the face and neck. This sensory information includes touch, vibration, skin temperature and pain."

I hope they will do lots of more research based upon this theory.

7. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I don't think this is a good state to be in. If you / your brain is constantly 'on guard' / alert about the sounds around you + your T, this will probably kill all possibilities of habituation process. Of course it is very easy to say don't be on guard... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Thanks for this, is it possible for somatic T to be present without the result of hearing loss? I say this as i have always had somatic T, even before this other T started. Before i would only get the ringing if i, for example, jutted my jaw forward and leaned forward.

9. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    10. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Cheers Sound Wave, i've read those posts and very interesting they are. Just wish i knew why it decided to increase so randomly. My somatic element effects my ear suffering from the other T more than my other which is no way near as bad. Real strange.

11. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      I have had clicking/ popping in my ears ever since I had a major panic one eve last Oct. Shortly after the t started. Now I click every time I swallow or yawn. As well as the t.

12. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      The clicking can be the Eustachian tubes opening and closing when drinking and yawning which is perfectly normal... well, as far as i know.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thanks for the information!

I read the post about somatic T, which is very interesting.

However, I got my T from noise exposure, and it's still as somatic as it can get in my openion.
      I also know someone that has the exact same thing and its also caused by noise exposure.

Seems like jaw alignmemt, noise exposure, inflammation etc can cause the exact same symptoms.

14. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Ive noticed when i dont plug
      My ears it sounds more like a high pitch hiss but when i wear ear plugs which makes the noises louder its actually a high pitch fainted ring... And my sister was on her organ the other day playin through an amp and just walkin by it for a split second my t got so reactive like it was competing with the noise but just drops down to almost nothing afterwards. This clicking n crackin tho when i swallow or burp is just plain weird never had it before t. And why when we yawn does the noise get louder.. Is that what somatic is? Idk this susan shore is sure onto something tho :)

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Thats my experience as well. She might be onto something indeed. At least it has to be _something_ that is pretty over active.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Its like a human puzzle i want to figure out..if we could use 100 % of our brains T would prob have a cure... Damn 10 % lol

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mr. Cartman
      Artistic

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hehe yeah.. Im trying to understand some of it myself.. And Im pretty manic when it comes to stuff like this :p

But some day, Im sure someone will have most of it figured out.

However, im quite confident that regrowing those hairs inside the ear is not the one solution.

Seems like the pathways and how signals are carried away might be of importance as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Littlebailey

Littlebailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014

Absolutely same things happens to me. It seems like my noise, which isn't too bad, competes with surrounding noise. Or at least sudden surrounding noise. It doesn't necessarily compete with regular, ongoing background noise. But I agree completely with you about the ringing seeming to rise just enough when around a certain new random sound I encounter to stay at the same relative loudness.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I mean I don't put myself in situations where there's possibilities of sudden loud sounds.

20. Mark Griffin
      Depressed

Mark Griffin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Completely, it's the unknown which effects me. If i knew 100% what it was, i would just leave it be and continue with my life. It's the fact that i can't work it out that keeps fuelling it. I mean, sometimes i can stop the higher end of my T by pushing my right 'groove' in the back of my head, just above the neck. Other times doing the same thing does nothing.... Sooo frustrating.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Sound Wave
      Curious

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      ^ same here. I do also like to solve puzzles... :)