• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Speakers for Those with Digital Audio Sensitivity

Thanks for the reply.

I completely forgot about the 5 band EQ on the app (looked this morning). Looks like I had 2 kHz+ turned down anyway.

This morning I took off everything above 600 Hz and listened to three of my fave songs I haven't heard in months. I didn't notice much of a difference ear wise, but sometimes it doesn't come out til morning.

OK, so now I have a DAC converter running between the laptop and speaker, and will add the audio mixer shortly and sample the audio from both laptop and TV and see if I can get a bearable balance.

I must admit I looked far and wide for a simple 7-15 EQ band equalizer. I didn't see many that had a simple 3.5 mm jack in and out - and all were advised as being suitable for a car or guitar - so I wasn't really sure what I could join together, and after about 3 hours of looking and researching I opted for the audio mixer as that I can see a 3.5 mm in and out.

EDIT:

OK I have had to scrap the audio mixer. Why on earth do these things need to be so complicated!

I can't find a way of 3.5 mm jack audio in from laptop or TV - adjust using a 7 or 15 channel EQ bands - and then 3.5mm out to speaker. → This is what I purchased.

I can build laptops, code apps for the iOS and Android store - but not figure out simple basic audio connections and frequency control!

Would the ART EQ341 do this job - without getting in to a home theatre system?

I don't think that mixer has an EQ on it. I just see a bunch of different volume knobs and faders.

You can get cables that are 3.5mm on one end and another type of adapter on the other.

Take the ART EQ341 for example:

1470679228_IMG_667065.jpg

It has the following inputs/outputs:
- XLR (balanced)
- 1/8in (balanced)
- RCA (unbalanced)

So say you wanted to connect your devices with the RCA input and output. You would just need to buy two 3.5mm to RCA auxiliary cables. Though I think this might only give you a mono mix on this particular EQ unit.

Careful if you choose XLR, as you would need one with a male and one with a female, but I would be most comfortable connecting things this way.

As far as the mixer goes, there are a lot of input/outputs.

Inputs I would try:
- USB input. (I think you should be able to just plug your computer directly into this without the DAC)
- Stereo RCA inputs (use a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable)

Output I would try:
- Stereo RCA (use another 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable)

I don't think that mixer has an EQ on it. I just see a bunch of different volume knobs and faders.

You can get cables that are 3.5mm on one end and another type of adapter on the other.

Take the ART EQ341 for example:

View attachment 55781

It has the following inputs/outputs:
- XLR (balanced)
- 1/8in (balanced)
- RCA (unbalanced)

So say you wanted to connect your devices with the RCA input and output. You would just need to buy two 3.5mm to RCA auxiliary cables. Though I think this might only give you a mono mix on this particular EQ unit.

Careful if you choose XLR, as you would need one with a male and one with a female, but I would be most comfortable connecting things this way.

As far as the mixer goes, there are a lot of input/outputs.

Inputs I would try:
- USB input. (I think you should be able to just plug your computer directly into this without the DAC)
- Stereo RCA inputs (use a 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable)

Output I would try:
- Stereo RCA (use another 3.5mm to stereo RCA cable)
Thank you @kingsfan - that has all made perfect sense, and I now know what I am looking for!

Many thanks - really appreciated!

I wonder if the audio compression isn't the issue here.

Perhaps you need something with an adjustable EQ.

I have a Sonos Roam that I have been using with my computer without much issue. It is Bluetooth and AirPlay compatible, and EQ can be set on the device itself. It's only a 3-band EQ though. You can also set the max volume threshold so you'll never get your ears blown out if the volume is accidentally left too high. I've used it with Teams and Zoom so far.

I normally use Kali Audio LP-6 powered studio monitors with my computer. I love these monitors. They can be a little bright, so EQing is a must. They don't have any wireless functionality built-in though as they are meant for studio recording.
Hi @kingsfan, I'm following up on our previous discussion. I have loudness hyperacusis and moderate noxacusis. My tinnitus tends to flare up when I listen to anything on a phone speaker, which is unfortunately something I do often for work, especially on Zoom calls.

Are you still using the Sonos Roam? I see there's a newer version now, the Roam 2. Did you experience hyperacusis that would flare up from digital audio? I'll wait to hear back from you before deciding to purchase it for my work calls.

Thanks!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now