Spike After Visiting the Hairdresser with a Loud Trimmer

IvanRus

Author
Jul 2, 2017
Tinnitus Since
04/2017
Cause of Tinnitus
ototoxicity
I've been going to the hairdresser several times to cut my hair.

Basically, the clipper is not very loud, but the trimmer, which she just shaves around the ears and whiskey with, very loudly growls and buzzes. When she brought it to my ear and started shaving the whiskey, it was catastrophically loud.

I do not know if it's related, but I got a spike the next day.

How do you think this could affect my tinnitus?

Next time I'll go to another hairdresser.

Always wear earplugs when you go to the hairdresser. A different hairdresser will solve nothing. You can give them directions but ultimately they know what will look ridiculous on you.

At that point why not just do your own hair?

Problem I find with wearing plugs while having my hair cut is the vibrations of the clippers become extremely loud, much louder than just not wearing any and putting up with the sound without plugs.

Would love to know if there was a solution to this.

Hey.

I, in fact, can not say unequivocally that my spike is connected with a visit to the hairdresser who shaved my hair around my ears with a VERY loud trimmer. When she began to use this trimmer on the bone of the skull near the ear, my jaws even trembled.

Since the day I visited the hairdresser, I have had a spike. It may be partly due to the autumn depression, but I'm more and more beginning to lean toward the version that it's because of the loud trimmer. The spike does not let me read complex things and makes me nervous.

But the most frustrating moment is that when I receive a spike, it becomes unpleasant for me to listen to sounds, music and even my own speech. Sounds seem somehow dull and incomplete against the background of increased noise. This is strange.

Does someone have experience with such things?

Would love to know
When she shaved with the "main" trimmer - it was normal, not too loud.

But then, in order to shave the contours around my ears, she took another trimmer from somewhere out of the box.

It cracked, hummed and vibrated like a jet plane. VERY LOUD. And she used it right next to my ears, damn her.

Now I have a spike that has lasted for over a week. Also, I again hear the "grasshoppers" who had not heard for a long time.

Apparently, her trimmer is broken, and she does not have the brain to just twist the screw. This trimmer was about as loud as in this video in the beginning.

Hey.

I, in fact, can not say unequivocally that my spike is connected with a visit to the hairdresser who shaved my hair around my ears with a VERY loud trimmer. When she began to use this trimmer on the bone of the skull near the ear, my jaws even trembled.

Since the day I visited the hairdresser, I have had a spike. It may be partly due to the autumn depression, but I'm more and more beginning to lean toward the version that it's because of the loud trimmer. The spike does not let me read complex things and makes me nervous.

But the most frustrating moment is that when I receive a spike, it becomes unpleasant for me to listen to sounds, music and even my own speech. Sounds seem somehow dull and incomplete against the background of increased noise. This is strange.

Does someone have experience with such things?
I did have the same experience. My mom is working as seller of hair cosmetics. Many hairdressers have tinnitus from hairdryers, same as dentists from drilling sounds.

Your spike should settle. It might have been loud, but (ad nauseam) could've sounded louder because your hearing has already become quite sensitive. It couldn't have been used for a prolonged period of time either, I'm sure.

Consider phoning a few hairdressers and tell them about your problem and see whether they are prepared to cut your hair with scissors in the future. If there is no hairdresser capable of empathy or this understanding in your vicinity, cut your hair yourself next time and see how that works out for you. I have a buzz cut nowadays, which I trim myself once every few weeks. I'm way past the point where I still care about following the current hairdo trends.

I find that ear muffs work well when using a hair trimmer, but they can't be used when trimming around the ears of course. Ask a family member to do that part with scissors or plug your ears for a little while and limit the occlusion effect.

Your spike should settle. It might have been loud, but (ad nauseam) could've sounded louder because your hearing has already become quite sensitive. It couldn't have been used for a prolonged period of time either, I'm sure.
I hope so.

I knew that there would be this loud trimmer, but still went there, since last time after this trimmer I did not have any spike. I'm insane.

This impact was not long, about 30 seconds from each side. But it was so close to the ear.

Another detail is when such spikes occur, it is expressed not only in the variation of noise intensity, but also in the fact that sounds become unpleasant to listen to.

For example, music ceases to please, but rather annoying.

I stop watching videos on youtube at such moments, as the voices are unpleasant.

Is there anyone else?

@IvanRus
I'm a girl and my hair is long. I never go to a hairdresser. I trim the ends with a scissors once in a while to avoid split ends.
Guy's hair can be more difficult. Do you have a wife or girlfriend who can cut it for you? You could buy your own trimmer that you feel comfortable with. You'd also probably save money in the long run.

I had many spikes because of a noisy trimmer, street fountain, noisy jacuzzi and etc... But I noticed that I have zero spike while I on absolutely zero stress, even if I drive with opened windows on a very noisy highway road. So I think these who often stressed because of their spikes have to try work on their mental state, I know it's difficult and drugs are not the best way to resolve this, but you must try to obtain positive emotions in every possible situation.

But I noticed that I have zero spike while I on absolutely zero stress, even if I drive with opened windows on a very noisy highway road.
I also considered this version.

This theory, in principle, was confirmed. Exactly until the moment with the loud trimmer.

The fact is that this was the third time I went to this hairdresser's, and I knew that she shaves the sides with a loud trimmer. For the 2 previous times I did not have any spikes, and I did not even worry about it, when I was going there for the third time.

I cut my hair, and again did not think about this loud trimmer at all.

But this time (somewhere during the day) I was already beginning to have a growing spike for some reason. I read that regeneration studies are still far off, and that they may not return to the hair cells to "ideal" state. I was upset about this and there was a slight depression. After visiting the hairdresser, the spike got stronger for several days.

And only on the fourth day after the haircut I compared the facts, and began to think that my spike is still caused by a loud trimmer.

I also became uncomfortable listening to music and watching videos on YouTube.

I can not explain this phenomenon, but when I get a spike, I'm uncomfortable with sounds. And it annoys almost more than my normal ringing.

When she shaved with the "main" trimmer - it was normal, not too loud.

But then, in order to shave the contours around my ears, she took another trimmer from somewhere out of the box.

It cracked, hummed and vibrated like a jet plane. VERY LOUD. And she used it right next to my ears, damn her.

Now I have a spike that has lasted for over a week. Also, I again hear the "grasshoppers" who had not heard for a long time.

Apparently, her trimmer is broken, and she does not have the brain to just twist the screw. This trimmer was about as loud as in this video in the beginning.

I had a new tinnitus sound come from an electric shaver near my ear which pretty much seems to have gone away...I haven't heard it in a long time...I think it took many months for it to go away though. Hopefully it will go away for you soon. :(

Yesterday I cut my hair using the portable trimmer and I didn't wear earplugs but then after a couple of hours my t spiked or become annoying until now. Does anyone who had this experience settle down for days or weeks?

Does anyone who had this experience settle down for days or weeks?
I remember reading many posts where people have had something similar happen to them. The resulting spike is usually temporary. Still, in the future, it makes sense to try to avoid doing the things that cause temporary spikes for you.

Just had a similar experience with the hair clippers at a training salon (which means everything took that much longer!) I was mainly concerned about H as she got going with clippers, but realized that this could also exacerbate T too. There definitely were some extended moments where the thing was buzzing right next to my ear and I thought about covering my ears or grabbing earplugs, but given she was a trainee I didn't really want to make things more awkward so I persevered through it until I eventually just asked her to stop with tidying. Afterward though, my right ear (the more sensitive of the two) definitely feels like it suffered a little bit due to H and T is probably a little higher now thanks to skull vibration.

But to also put things in perspective, professional hair clippers probably clock in around what, 85-90? dB, at close range (couldn't test myself but that's what it felt like at the time.) For reference, a super buzzy one might clock in at 96 dB under special voltage circumstances (http://frequency60hz.com/blog/a-sim...merican-hair-clippers-make-such-a-loud-noise/)

In any case, even at 96 dB you'd have to sit through 38 mins of the thing right next to your ear to get further hearing damage. At most I'm guessing I probably had a couple mins max of close ear contact. So bottom line is that while T and H may be exacerbated (which I'm obviously not thrilled about), actually hearing is probably fine and this should apply to others as well.

My other concern about using earplugs was the occlusion effect (OE), which has been mentioned. Given how much bone vibration there was, and the low frequencies being produced--the clipper is basically vibrating at 50 or 60 Hz depending on your country--I'm guessing that the internal volume would indeed be louder than external because the OE becomes greater for lower frequency sounds, and so it didn't seem worth the risk.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now