Steve-Watto

Author
Jan 15, 2017
Ipswich, Australia
Tinnitus Since
Jan 2012
Cause of Tinnitus
Firearms, Noise Exposure
I have this habit, every time I hear a noise I stick my finger in my ear, like in trying to listen if the tinnitus has spiked, I must do it 50-100 times a day, what it's actually doing is reminding me of the T, which I know isn't helpful.... does anyone else do this? and does anyone have a way to stop me doing it that they would recommend?

I've had this thing for only a year, but I remember for about three months I would do this. Then I do it only from time to time when I hear a loud noise but half the time it isn't my T! My recommendation is just get used to your spikes, I have about three common spike noises that I'm used to. When I hear it I know full well it will go away. This will get better for you. How long have you had it?

Jamie

I have this habit, every time I hear a noise I stick my finger in my ear, like in trying to listen if the tinnitus has spiked, I must do it 50-100 times a day, what it's actually doing is reminding me of the T, which I know isn't helpful.... does anyone else do this? and does anyone have a way to stop me doing it that they would recommend?

Hey Steve,

If I were you, I would get out of the habit of doing this for at least two reasons: a) you could damage something inside your ear; b) you could get an ear infection.

...or in addition to what Steve wrote, I have known people that have gotten their finger stuck in their ear which couldn't be removed and therefore they lost the use of their arm and hand.

Like your mother told you, stop doing that...:eek:

I say get a life, you need to plug your ears to hear your T, give me break. Longer I'm here, the more I understand that this is a anxiety forum, and not a tinnitus forum.

And also Steve, think of it from a selfish standpoint. When hanging out with friends or family and you always have your fingers in your ears, people around you may get the hint you don't want to hear what they say. This could create a problem for holding onto friends. Also, with your fingers in your ears all the time, its hard to point out things to others or write things down you want to remember or even take on a new project.
So there are unintended consequences to your finger in your ear fetish, a documented OCD ritual generally referred to as FIEF.

Steve, Mate, stop it. Just stop it. It is the slippery slope to chronic obsessive-compulsive behaviour. That's where this shit can take you. Most of us get it, but....Just stop doing it.

I did this too the first week I got T. I obsessively listened for it.

Then I got hyperacusis which is a much bigger beast to deal with, so I forgot about worrying over my T, even when it got louder.

But I don't recommend getting H, it isn't pretty.

I did this too the first week I got T. I obsessively listened for it.

Then I got hyperacusis which is a much bigger beast to deal with, so I forgot about worrying over my T, even when it got louder.

But I don't recommend getting H, it isn't pretty.
No Alex, H is pretty, just rather an acquired taste. ;)

Steve, Mate, stop it. Just stop it. It is the slippery slope to chronic obsessive-compulsive behaviour. That's where this shit can take you. Most of us get it, but....Just stop doing it.
I'm not sure he can help it Paul...extrapolating from his other repetitive behavior. For example his parents told him the other thing he couldn't stop doing would cause blindness and now Steve wears thick glasses.

I don't need to block my ear to hear my T, it's perfectly capable of making itself heard above anything and everything.

I'd say don't do it, it's just making you more conscious of it.

No Alex, H is pretty, just rather an acquired taste. ;)

If you mean pretty shitty, then I agree with you! :p

@Steve-Watto, don't listen for your tinnitus. It will make itself heard if it wants to, even if you don't want to.

If you mean pretty shitty, then I agree with you! :p
I feel confident you are going to move past your T and H as any sort of grip on your life Alex for the simple reason that you are smart enough to adapt. You will figure out your best course through lifestyle, medication...whatever it takes.
Over time I personally believe your H will be less of a presence.

I say get a life, you need to plug your ears to hear your T, give me break. Longer I'm here, the more I understand that this is a anxiety forum, and not a tinnitus forum.

Its not to hear it, I don't need to put my finger in there to hear it, I am listening to the ringing to see if it has spiked, and yes its prob half anxiety

I don't need to block my ear to hear my T, it's perfectly capable of making itself heard above anything and everything.

I'd say don't do it, it's just making you more conscious of it.

I probably didn't word my first post correctly. Its screaming all the time, like you. the only thing that masks the sound completely is running water in the shower. I just have a habit of blocking the ambient noise to listen if the T has spiked, changed tone.
Probably not something I should have posted.

I feel confident you are going to move past your T and H as any sort of grip on your life Alex for the simple reason that you are smart enough to adapt. You will figure out your best course through lifestyle, medication...whatever it takes.
Over time I personally believe your H will be less of a presence.

Yeah I hope so

And also Steve, think of it from a selfish standpoint. When hanging out with friends or family and you always have your fingers in your ears, people around you may get the hint you don't want to hear what they say. This could create a problem for holding onto friends. Also, with your fingers in your ears all the time, its hard to point out things to others or write things down you want to remember or even take on a new project.
So there are unintended consequences to your finger in your ear fetish, a documented OCD ritual generally referred to as FIEF.

yeah I understand,good point

I've had this thing for only a year, but I remember for about three months I would do this. Then I do it only from time to time when I hear a loud noise but half the time it isn't my T! My recommendation is just get used to your spikes, I have about three common spike noises that I'm used to. When I hear it I know full well it will go away. This will get better for you. How long have you had it?

Jamie

mid in one ear for about three years, then what I would class as severe plus the addition of H December last year, so about 2.5 / 3 months

I probably didn't word my first post correctly. Its screaming all the time, like you. the only thing that masks the sound completely is running water in the shower. I just have a habit of blocking the ambient noise to listen if the T has spiked, changed tone.
Probably not something I should have posted.
You can post what you like if it's playing on your mind.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now