Still Go Clubbing or to Bars or Go Rave at Music Festivals?

Discussion in 'Support' started by K.Sarah, Dec 24, 2016.

1. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I used to be a Junior Rocket Scientist! For real!

My previous employer allowed me to choose my job title and I thought it's ridiculous. After a month I realized how stupid it looks on my CV and changed it to Junior Software Engineer.

My friend still works as a Senior Ninja....

• Funny Funny x 4
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      My goal was to determine whether the risk was above 0.1% (the risk that I personally find acceptable). I think that despite all of the uncertainty, it is clear that the risk is certainly above 1-5%.

I think it is clear that a "attending a loud event" refers to attending some place where loud music is playing (concert, pub, wedding, etc.), or where there are crowds of loud people. To interpret this poll, just try to predict what an average person would refer to as "loud".

By the way, using your logic, we should not have any polls on this forum. Every person had a different number of those hairs in the ear that got damaged (and they got damaged to a different degree). So what happened to other people is not relevant to your personal case.

3. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      I don't mind that you use polls Bill, that can be informative. But your attempt at drawing general conclusions from them are just, from my point of view, ridiculous. Anyway, that's your time, if you want to spend it on those analyses, do it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club

As previously stated, it's an estimate of a probability of worsening your T if your lifestyle includes loud events. Your post is misleading.

My RSI is bothering me when I type so I'll keep this short.

It's your life. You know your body, your ears. You know how loud it is around you (I know you have an app for that :) ) and you know your risk tolerance. You know capabilities of your hearing protection. You know the risks (spike), you know how much you care about event X. You can make a decision for yourself. Do you want to stay at home for the rest of your life? You're free to do so.

This post can only do more harm than good. People who are severely depressed or anxious look at your post and all they'll see is that there's 58% chance of worsening their condition if they leave the house. Because that's how depressed brain works. Guess how I know.

Among tinnitus sufferers, it's common knowledge that noise exposure can lead to problems. There's no reason to put a number on that, a number that's based on incomplete information and is hence biased.

You're going to scare people, without providing them with any new information.

I can only feel sorry for kids who get this, it's really easy to get peer pressured into doing stupid stuff when you're a teen...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The general conclusion is: attending loud events carries significant risk of getting a permanent spike.

Are you saying that given the results of that poll, there is a significant chance that the probability of one getting a permanent spike is lower than 1%? Since the answer to this question is clearly "no", are you saying that 1% chance of getting a Permanent spike can't be called "a significant risk"?

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't. I don't own a smart phone. Actually, I have never owned a cell phone.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      All they have to do is not attend concerts and any places where loud music is playing. If many people read this and act accordingly, then some will be saved from getting a Permanent spike, so the text in italics font is clearly wrong.

8. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club

NO. STOP.

You can not conclude that from this poll. You need a sample of people who never attended a loud event (after T), compute the probability from there and then show that the difference is statistically significant

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I'm just encouraging you to think about the impact your words have on other people. A few months ago, a room with people talking and laughing would cause significant pain for me and therefore I'd see a few people talking as a typical "loud event" as I had to wear "heavy duty" earplugs. And yeah, I'd spike from that.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      @Bill Bauer For now, all you have is "people who have tinnitus have a significant chance of worsening with time", which is NOT true either because your sample is highly biased (doesn't include people who don't attend loud events).

11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I agree with you @maltese Whilst you mean well @Bill Bauer it's this kind of scaremongering that reinforces the negative thinking in people that normal everyday sounds can be harmful, which they are not. Tinnitus is a condition that many people habituate to and carry on to lead a fulfilling life. Hyperacusis, can be completely cured in most cases, but not if one is constantly overprotecting the ears and afraid of normal everyday sounds. Attending a nightclub where loud music is played, I agree this is not everyday normal sounds. However, I see no reason why someone with noise induced tinnitus, that has habituated can't attend such venues as long as they are careful. Life is for living not to be living in constant fear of every little sound in the environment.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
    12. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I'd be careful with nightclubs - there are loud venues and LOUD venues.

But I agree. For me, it's not about loud places here. I actually agree with @Bill Bauer that they're dangerous... It's about unnecessary fear.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Indeed, as I said @Bill Bauer means well and his heart is in the right place. However, he is still new to tinnitus and has hyperacusis. It can affect people in many different ways but in time will get better.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      you also are not considering the type of protection these people had in the pole. were they using custom plugs? if not how well were they fitted? did they stand in front of a speaker at the event? did they keep their protection on the whole time? how soon after onset did they attend the club? how loud was the bass? if the person understands the difference between a spike and fleeting tinnitus? did they take any drugs? or even how well do they protect their ears on a daily basis? maybe something else triggered the spike.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What we were talking about is the probability of worsening your T if your lifestyle includes loud events. The poll implies that we can be confident that this probability is above 5%. If you are one of the people who thinks that a 5% chance of a permanently louder T is something that is unacceptable, your lifestyle shouldn't include loud events. What is the problem with this logic?

16. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      All you know is that X% of people surveyed worsened.

This could mean that X% of people with T will worsen regardless of noise exposure.

No comparison to a control group

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      We are talking about different things. You have those testimonies (that we get more than once a week on this forum) of all of the people who learned the hard way to take protecting their ears seriously. I am talking about the poll
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...the-onset-of-tinnitus-and-regretted-it.23061/
      as well as the confidence interval implied by that poll (see my earlier messages in this thread).

What is wrong with the logic: "What we were talking about is the probability of worsening your T if your lifestyle includes loud events. The poll implies that we can be confident that this probability is above 5%. If you are one of the people who thinks that a 5% chance of a permanently louder T is something that is unacceptable, your lifestyle shouldn't include loud events."

18. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I'm going to repeat one last time: there is no reason to believe noise exposure caused those people to worsen. (Its your thesis, you can't assume it)

You have no control group and hence you didn't really investigate anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That is a good critique. People self-select when answering polls, so even if the poll were to have questions like "I haven't gone and I got worse/I haven't gone and I didn't get worse", we would still not be able to use the actual numerical values from the poll.

What I was trying to find is evidence whether the probability of getting a permanent spike after attending those events is higher than 5%. I think I Had found such evidence.

Surely if someone reads the option "I attended a loud event and ended up with a permanent spike that has lasted longer than a month" they will not choose this option if they attended a loud event and then two months afterwards their T got louder. A person who had selected this option got a spike (that ended up being permanent) within hours of the event being over. So no, this poll does NOT imply that people with T get worse over time.

20. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Adding to that: what food did they eat? Did they drink anything? Were they taking any medications? Get enough sleep? Dealing with any stress, anxiety or depression? Had they been sick at all in months leading up to the spike? All of those factors can contribute to spikes.

Plus do you know who did not take the survey? All of the people living with tinnitus who encounter loud noises or go to loud events but do not frequent the TT forum. I happen to know quite a few people with tinnitus. If we added their experiences to the poll, it would change the statistics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The same concerns could be raised about any statistical study! The point of stats is that we can learn meaningful information by looking at averages of large numbers of observations. (The confidence interval that I described was adjusted to reflect our population size - it got wider.) The idea is that things like that cancel each other out. The impact on a person who used poor protection will overestimate the average, the impact on a person who used above average protection will underestimate the average. When these are combined, we will arrive at the number that is close to the number corresponding to the impact on the average person.

22. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Only if the statistical study fails to use a representative sample. Do you truly think the members of TT are an accurate representation of the overall tinnitus population?

TT forum has significant sample bias because it is a site frequented by people who are (including myself) fairly anxious about tinnitus. Anxiety can cause spikes. Perhaps that is a key factor. Of the people I know with tinnitus who attend loud events yet have not had a spike, none have anxiety towards their tinnitus. Nor did they really ever beyond maybe the initial weeks.

23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Surely if a person had attended a loud event and that same year his or her T got louder they would not choose the option "I attended a loud event and ended up with a permanent spike that has lasted longer than a month"

I would imagine they would choose this option if their T were to spike hours after the event and then to never get quieter.

25. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Michael Leigh , I attended a loud event and I had such a crazy spike . It was one of the most difficult 3-4 months of my life .
      Forget about permanent spike , that spike was so bad that even 3-4 months were difficult .
      There are so many people who had this spike . I just don't see why any should take chance .
      Again , it's a risk and if people want to take it then it's up to them .
      I actually agree with Bill and I have paid price so I wouldn't suggest any goes but again , if some one still wants to then they should go ahead .

• Like Like x 1
    26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is that because T makes you suicidal? Would your answer be the same if I were to ask you this question before you got T?

27. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Bill Bauer, do you think if there are bunch of people gathered should be called a loud event? I think where music is playing loudly I would call loud event.

28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, I think most people would just think of being at a place where loud music is playing as a loud event. I was thinking about sports events at a stadium with thousands of fans, when I was talking about loud people. I haven't actually ever been to a stadium like that, so I might be wrong about how loud those events can get. I wasn't talking about a bunch of friends getting together and raising their voices once in a while.

• Like Like x 2
    29. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      @Michael Leigh, 3-4 hours of fun vs a spike that can last few months or even permanent spike. I personally wouldn't risk it. At least for me no event is that important.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      So you believe that people with tinnitus are no more susceptible to acoustic trauma than healthy people?

• Like Like x 2