Strange Hearing Distortion/Dysacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathan McAlum, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      How old are you? I’m only 22. And that’s crazy how you get worse from tapering off Prednisone. Tbh I never had any tinnitus in my left ear until I tried the Prednisone for the distortions.

I got a fluttering hum noise that still has not gone away. The car accident made it really loud. When I got on Prednisone right after the car accident this time nothing changed. I was only on 40 mg instead of 60 mg. I think getting above the 50 mg range is too much. This is so rough man, last year I was living life working, lifting 500 pounds, squatting 500 pounds, going out with friends, everything.

I had to give up working as a manager. I was making really good money too. I had a bunch of money, bought a Hellcat, was going to buy a house, then this happened. It sucks man when your life is perfect but this makes me want to die every single day. I can’t even flick a damn light switch without my ears hurting.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Tiumix

Tiumix Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck Injury, Unknown
      How are your distortion nowadays? Has it got better?

3. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yeah actually they went from 8/10 bad to I barely noticing them for a while. They just came back last week. I think I have a perilymph fistula, that’s why I’m getting all those crazy distortions. They get worse when I exercise or strain at all.

4. gadacan

gadacan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure. Disease? Unilateral hearing loss?
      The OP and others' descriptions are exactly what I am experiencing, too. I feel like it comes and goes, but I've had it for five months now. My tinnitus originally was just a somatic type. I would wake up with ringing in one ear, and it would ring again when I yawned or otherwise exerted myself, raising my cranial blood pressure.

About a month later, I found myself in the club of 24/7 tinnitus sufferers. The ringing became a constant pitch, accompanied by a rhythmic wobbling/whistling sound, similar to dysacusis. I suspect these distortions are my brain perceiving sound and 'overlapping' it with the whistling. Interestingly, the wobbling sound sometimes disappears with the sound source, but other times persists even after moving away from the sound.

Also, does anyone experience a significant difference in dysacusis depending on the physical direction the sound is reaching your ears? Sometimes, it's strongest when my ear is pointed directly at it, and other times, it's when the sound is behind or to the front of me. I've also found that sound reflecting off a surface/reverb makes it worse than when hearing the sound source directly.