Suicide Is NEVER an Option

Discussion in 'Support' started by Bobbie7, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Rock123

Rock123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh yeah forgot to mention - if you can manage to find a pot of this, go for it. It's pretty effective.

2. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Thanks for the advice. Mine also manifests as tendon and muscle pain/weakness, rather than nerve pain. I've experienced similar symptoms to carpal tunnel syndrome on and off, but for the most part it's just tendons and muscles.

Tablets, in my experience, are even worse than using a PC for my pain.

I can't afford a trackball right now, unfortunately. I may be able to save up for one over a period of time, though.

That device looks gimmicky, but it is sort of cheap. I may try to save up for one.

3. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Roller devices like that one are a pretty standard item used for physiotherapy, they have been around for a long time. You can find endless people selling them, YouTube videos by physical therapists showing how to use them, etc.

Just one other thought. If you have access to a library where you can borrow this book about treating wrist RSI, it is very good. I visited the physiotherapist who wrote it and she was excellent (though unfortunately too far for me to visit more than once).

https://www.amazon.com/Its-Carpal-Tunnel-Syndrome-Professionals/dp/0965510999/

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Bobbie7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Extreme stress, sinus infection
      The commenters in this forum should not be cavalier in implicitly endorsing suicide as an option for those suffering from a condition - even one as devastating as tinnitus. Some people may be emotionally vulnerable or suffering from other physical/mental conditions and/or stressors and your comments can easily help push them over the edge.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I think you JUST had a thread on suicide, why keep opening new ones? We get it already, it's not an option, it's bad, it's selfish, people are bad that think it should be a option in life.. blah blah blah. I've read your preachings here many times on this subject, we all know your opinion, but obviously there are people that will see things differently than you do, that's life, not everyone has the same opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own views. You going on and on like a broken record isn't going to change this.

• Like Like x 3
    6. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      It's usually an unwise option. But it is an option. It'll hurt those who love you if you do it, but your life is your own and you are not required to suffer for anybody.

• Agree Agree x 6
    7. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Bobbie7

I agree with you that people shouldn’t be cavalier in endorsing suicide as way out for people that are having difficulty coping with tinnitus.

I believe member’s views and comments on this subject are the same as mine. Which is not to endorse suicide for anyone that feels they can’t carry on with their tinnitus, but to acknowledge that we know how they feel. To show understanding and empathize with what they are going through. Often people just want to express how the tinnitus makes them feel and not to actually commit suicide.

Talking openly allows suggestions on coping methods and different treatments to be put forward that a person might not know of or considered. I counsel people with tinnitus and some become very emotional over the telephone and wish they could be put out of the misery. Fortunately it hasn’t come to that, for as I’ve said, people usually want to express how they feel and come here for support. If we were to slam the door in their face and refuse to discuss suicide, the alternatives I’ve described above regarding coping and treatments, perhaps wouldn’t be mentioned and I believe they would feel a lot worse and think there is no hope at all.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Michael Leigh -

I have tremendous admiration for you and all you do to assist the members of this forum. As I have said before, you display unselfishness in giving of your time and effort and you are the giver of hope. I read all you said and, respectfully, I both understand and agree. I made that statement in response to one I read a short while ago where a new member posted that he wanted to know where he could obtain "assisted suicide" and his query was met by another member telling him that somewhere in this forum a subject like this was discussed. I mean... Michael... rather than suggesting suicide may not be the appropriate panacea for T (since suicide is forever) I was surprised he didn't direct him to some specific site that dealt with it! Also, there were many posts which I read were perhaps a little too understanding about one's desire to do away with themselves and almost sided with the person showing this proclivity. Many of those who come to this forum seeking support may also have psychiatric issues in addition to tinnitus and they must be dealt with in a very delicate manner.

Of course I understand a dialog is most important for people who are suffering the severity of tinnitus and for them to feel that whatever they say is listened to with the utmost compassion and understood, but at times it almost seems like some members here are not suggesting other means by which to ameliorate the symptoms of tinnitus; they are nearly ready to accept that suicide is acceptable by their tacit approval. I think communication is essential and each suffering person needs to fully express the depth of their misery; I do not castigate anyone for this. I know it is an individual right to do whatever one wants to their person and I am not placing any physical limitations upon them. I merely try to offer arguments to dissuade them from their view that perhaps this is the only way out because, in fact, it is not. Discussion of suicide without placing needed emphasis on habituation is not constructive. Perhaps it should be routinely suggested that the sufferer seek professional counseling. Many people, unfortunately, are not in the position financially to seek this kind of help and, for this reason, are extremely vulnerable. If one teeters on the edge and they are emotionally vulnerable, it may take little to push them over. I am heartened when I see posts from members who seem genuinely concerned about their fellow T sufferer by offering hope that habituation is possible, then it seems like this site is, indeed, for positive support.

Since every person here is welcomed to express their views --- recently it was unfortunate that I and another gentleman were attacked for our stance on suicide. I take the high road... in that I do not believe in attacking another for their belief(s), I do not believe in using profanity to get a point across and I have and will never use a person's age in a derogatory way (as was in my case) against them as one young lady and another member did a while ago (they should have known better). I have more respect!

Again @Michael Leigh - as I said before, I respect and thank you (as I had thanked many of the other experienced people on the forum) - who untiringly administer excellent helpful advice to T sufferers.

With best wishes,
      Barbara

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Bobbie7

Thank you for your kind comments they are much appreciated.

I agree with everything that you have said. My comments on suicide and tinnitus remain the same. That is to listen and understand when someone is in distress because I know the depths this condition can take a person to having lived with it for many years. Hopefully I will be able to offer alternatives that will bring about a successful solution instead of one choosing to take their own life. However I appreciate that some commenting on this subject do not have the sensitivity, understanding or skill set to be able to give the appropriate advice to someone whose balance of mind has been adversely affected by tinnitus, and therefore, it’s probably better that they don’t say anything.

I read the vitriolic posts that were directed towards you and must say, they made uncomfortable reading which I didn’t feel was deserved and showed total lack of respect. Although no abusive language was used it came fairly close and was disappointing to see. It was clear to me the vehemence shown was influenced or at least helped by a few that use profanity and bad language regularly in this forum and believe this is the correct way to carry on – it is not. As good as this forum is, it is seriously marred by the some of the language that is allowed to be expressed here without any admonishment at all. I could say a lot more about principles morality and decency which is sadly lacking in society today but realize this is a support forum so will end it there.

It is a pleasure to read your posts as they are so well written.
      Take care Barbara and wishing you all the best.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      For some people it is. There comes a point at which you need to accept that nothing can be done for you and that your options are to either a) die right now, or b) live in suffering for years/decades and then still die anyway.

It has been 5 years for me, and despite incredible effort, things haven't really improved. In many ways they have worsened.

On top of suffering immensely every day of my life due to massive physical and mental health problems, I live in poverty. And when my parents are gone, I won't have a roof over my head. I will then be homeless with massive physical and mental health problems. Since there is no hope for my future, and no redeeming benefit to my existence, what is the point in continuing? There is none. And noone can offer any meaningful argument against this.

The best people can offer is some half-assed inapplicable advice. Then, when I explain to them why their suggestions are impossible, all they can muster up is "oh please hang in there, it could always get better someday, I wish you the best!" Which of course is well meaning, and makes them feel good when they say it, but ultimately isn't helpful for me.

In order for me to even start to consider that my life may be worth living in 20-30 years time, I'd need to either literally win the lottery, or miraculously find a cure for my health issues. Neither of which are going to happen.

I hate everything about myself.

• Hug Hug x 5
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Sen - I would like to know how you are.

12. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Sen, do you get money from disability? And how's the college thing going?

13. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Bad.

Yes, very little. Not enough to survive without additional help. What college thing?

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert

I just read one of your first posts and in it you mentioned that you were planning to start college soon. But then these ear problems got in the way....

15. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      Yes, I was. That was 5 years ago. Then my health problems got in the way.

16. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      How so?

17. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      By rendering me too sick and in pain all the time to go to school.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Your hands? Are you in the US?

19. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      My hands in addition to everything else. I am not in the US.

20. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      What problems would to to get better before you felt there was hope?

21. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      The hand/forearm pain, the crushing headaches, the sound sensitivity, the ear pain, the violent middle ear spasms that occur when I speak, the facial pressure, the head pressure, the nausea, the brain fog, the severe fatigue, the depression, etc.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Bobbie7
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm sorry to hear you are not doing well. Is there no possible way you can get help from medical professionals? Also.. have you any relatives who can at least lend some support?

23. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Are you on antidepressants?

24. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I've seen several medical professionals. I've explained this already in posts #134 and #136 after you asked this question the first time.

I've seen my GP, an ENT, a neurotologist, a neurologist, two audiologists, a psychiatrist, and a mental health therapist. The GP, neurotologist, and one of the audiologists vouched for my disability and signed forms. Outside of that there has been no help.

I have been prescribed benzodiazepines for over 3 years now, and they helped with some of my symptoms for a while, but they are not a long term solution, so I've been tapering. As I taper, my ear, head and facial symptoms get worse and worse. My sound sensitivity gets worse, my ear pain gets worse, and I am more susceptible to setbacks. These symptoms have been fluctuating wildly as of late, and especially so following multiple exposures to a very loud water flosser over the course of a few days.

I listen to 24/7 pink noise at whatever volume I can endure, I try to listen to at least a little music every day, and I avoid silence as much as I can. I always have the low sound of some kind of twitch stream or podcast going in the background for "enrichment" of sorts. I often have to adjust the volume of all of the above if it becomes uncomfortable or painful, but I never turn it off completely.

I cannot go without hearing protection in busy public areas without extreme discomfort or pain yet, nor can I handle it for very long even while wearing hearing protection. I've been trying to work my way up to those things, but have had little success.

I live with my parents. I pay them rent. They give me a roof to sleep under and a kitchen and bathroom to use on a limited basis. My parents are growing older and will not be able to support me forever. I cannot afford any apartment or room at market value, let alone a quiet one that can suit my needs.

No.

• Hug Hug x 1
    25. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Gosh i feel sorry for you dear Sen :(Nobody, absolutely NOBODY should suffer this much.....it makes me so mad that this kinda suffering exits.

Have you tried CBD oil with THC? I know it is a bit expensive and maybe hard to come by, but i have read of several people with major pains who have gained so much life quality by taking this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Sen
      Caffeine

Sen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      dunno
      I haven't tried oil, no. I smoked marijuana every day for quite a long time because I had extremely cheap and easy access to it through an acquaintance. I quit nearly 2 months ago over concerns that it was affecting my tooth and gum health.

It had never been helpful with my symptoms, but it provided some mediocre mental health relief.

Marijuana will be legal in my country within a year or two, so maybe I'll give CBD oil a shot at that time, but even if it does help I doubt it will be economically viable for me.

27. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Sorry about that.....I don't know if the oil works differently, may be worth a try.

28. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      It does work differently.

29. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      CBD won't get you high or anything, but it functions like super potent valerian root, inducing relaxation.

30. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      How long have you been doing this continuous sound enrichment? It sounds unnatural. Have you tried giving your ears a rest from the sound occasionally?