Author
Benefactor
Advocate
Aug 1, 2017
Norway
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
I tried to do some search but could not find anything about it so here goes.

In my 20 years of tinnitus I have experienced, like many others, that my tinnitus fluctuates, changes in intensity and volume and so on. These changes can last for hours, days and even weeks. I have what I would say a very intrusive T with about 3-4 sounds in one ear and 2 sounds in the other ear. Also, the variations sometimes appear only in one ear at times which I find strange.

But what is responsible for the change in volume and pitch?
Why are some days like a bliss while others (most) are torture?

Has there been any research in why tinnitus is fluctuating?

This thread is meant to be a discussion of theories based on experience and documented research.

My T also fluctuates. It's like a cycle of 36 to 48 hours each of high volume then low volume. It also peaks during the high volume cycle. If volume was 1 to 10 the peak is 8. The low days is 4. I have 2 tones .The high days is a 9500hz tone but disappears at the low cycle. The other tone is 5000hz and is constant but does back off a little during low cycle. I live for the low cycle days.. It does weird stuff like go back and forth between each ear in nano seconds. It can bring mild dizziness on and mild hyperacusis. Hyperacusis was much worse in the beginning but has backed off thank goodness.. I take heart meds for afib and it doesn't mix with nac , melatonin or magnisium . Zinc and B-12 is all I do for it.

@Bobster59

Thank you for your input.
My b12 levels are as high as they can be, so I am not taking it.
All I am taking now is Omega-3. In addition I meditate 10 minutes a day, but I want to do more with time.

I really wish there could be some answers to what causes these spikes and fluctuations.
Also, I have like a short morse sequence at times... like 2-5 beeps. Can go hours between I experience it, but it does feel like some nerve activity. Could be stress related.

I'm allergic to fish so I take flax seed oil. I just read up on it after reading your post so I'll up my intake of that. Seems like there's mostly guess work at this point coming from the Dr's... Doesn't surprise me though , when was the last time they cured anything ? I wish you well and inner peace..

Kind of depends on what caused T wouldn't you think ?

My noise induced T is pretty much constant

Kind of depends on what caused T wouldn't you think ?

My noise induced T is pretty much constant

Yes, one would think so.

In my case it is a bit tricky... I was born with a bilateral hearing loss but my "first" Tinnitus was a result of an explosion when I was 16. My hearing is gradually and slowly getting worse, but I am not sure my other T sounds is a direct result of my hearing loss. I have 3 sounds in total.. 1 on of them is in both ears and is the typical hiss with a very high pitch tone on top, this is pretty much constant and was the first Tinnitus I experienced back in ´96.

Then in my right ear, I have 2 more sounds and they fluctuate all the time. These are more like pure tones that varies in volume and intensity.

I have been under a lot of stress this summer, and I am just about to get some inner peace again.
I am hoping that the fluctuating sounds are a result of something somatic, like stress, tense neck/shoulder etc. Time will tell I guess.

My tinnitus fluctuates greatly. Yesterday was almost intolerable, I hoped that today it would at least reduce in volume and vibrations, and it has. I got through yesterday, so I can get through anything. I'm the invincible woman. Lol.

Thats great @slipware :D

The hours or days when it becomes intolerable can be extremely difficult.
My T also fluctuates greatly, and I would so much want to know what causes this.
Maybe one day we will get an answer.

I started a B complex (solaray) last week. I had been doing only b-12. I also upped my flax seed oil (Solgar 1250mg) from 1 to 4 a day to try and improve my HDL. My fluctuation schedule use to be 2 high volume days then 1 low volume day. Over the past 8 days I've had 5 low volume days and 3 high volume. My high volume day yesterday was better than usual with the peak only a couple hours and not quite as loud. Only 1 high volume day in the last 4 days. Best I've had since this high volume T started with a sudden hearing loss last march. I've had very low HDL (29-30) for a long time with High triglycerides (225) and high LDL (170) (but refuse to take statins). Part of that equation is from my heart meds. I read an article where low HLD plays a role in Tinnitus. They conducted a test and the people who got their hdl up and LDL & Tri's down had improvement with T volume. Of course the B complex and flax seed oil could just be a coincidence. I figure if I stay improved there may be something to it.

Interesting.

I did not know that about the HDL, I´ll be sure to check my levels on my next GP appointment.
My b12 levels are more than excellent since I took an oral b12 supplement. I´ve stopped it now since b12 is stored in the liver and levels can be high for a long period.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now