Theory: My Tinnitus Has an Emotional Root

wrk2liv

Author
Jun 15, 2016
Tinnitus Since
09/2008
Cause of Tinnitus
unknown
Hello, fellow sufferers. I've been on Tinnitus Talk for eight years and have read many posts, especially the success stories. I've had tinnitus since 2008, mostly in my right ear, though it occasionally affects my left. While I've learned to tolerate the constant noise, the accompanying feelings of depression, lack of motivation, and difficulty concentrating can sometimes send me into a downward spiral.

I've long held the belief that my tinnitus has an emotional root. It began during a period of intense emotional trauma, including job loss and marriage problems. I've also had my share of childhood emotional trauma, not due to any single incident but rather a prolonged period of emotional insecurity both at home and outside. Over the years, I've tried various therapies, including CBT, EMDR, and psychedelics, such as psilocybin, LSD, MDMA, and ayahuasca. These have definitely improved my overall sense of well-being, but they haven't impacted the tinnitus itself.

Perhaps I hold onto this emotional root theory because it gives me hope that one day I can overcome this condition. I'm motivated to write today because this past week, I've been grappling with a relationship issue that has definitely caused a spike in my tinnitus. There are many studies linking tinnitus spikes to stress, which seems to support the idea of a connection. I also understand that hearing damage is a common precursor.

What I wonder is whether both conditions, hearing loss and emotional trauma, need to be present to experience tinnitus and whether addressing either one might lead to remission. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now