• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

There Are Ways to Help Tinnitus

matthewnewman23

Author
Jan 3, 2016
Tinnitus Since
11/2015
Now having tinnitus for about 5 years, being un-bothered by it for about 3 years now, I am confident in saying that regardless of how you got your tinnitus, whether by loud exposure or other means, there are ways in helping it: reduce in volume and emotional impact on your life.

First off, my ears were damaged by loud noises, in particular 1 extremely loud concert, and gunfire. Currently, I feel I have an increased sensitivity to certain noises, some of which cause pain. Emotionally I cannot be in a club or loud area, I begin to stress and sweat because I remember what it was like to have extremely loud tinnitus. I guess it is a sort of emotional trauma. I did cry over having it, being deaf for about 5 days after the concert. However I found many ways to make it reduce in volume, and once that happened I felt I had some control over it. Once you gain this control, even when your ears ring it won't bother you.

I now protect my ears every time I go out in loud areas.

The Steps:
  1. Make a plan. The act of saying "I will find out what ways I can effect my tinnitus" immediate changes your perspective on tinnitus. Start with diet and exercise. Certain foods and exercise will HELP YOUR TINNITUS GO DOWN. Tinnitus is in the brain, it is your ears hearing themselves. You're brain says "I cant hear that frequency, something is wrong" so it sends more electricity to boost your hearing, but this registers as a ringing because that frequency can't be heard. Your brain is in overdrive. Take it to other places.
  2. Sound therapy helps out greatly. Download a simple frequency generator, play the frequency you hear your tinnitus and play it periodically. This helps calm the brain. As you stress over tinnitus you only send more attention to the ears, making it louder than it really needs to be. Tinnitus is a mind game.
  3. Needless to say, protect your ears. Learn the power of insisting they be protected when you feel necessary.
  4. Log your progress. My tinnitus no longer affected me after 6 months. But it all starts with developing a plan of how you plan to help yourself.
Note: Believe it will work. I had lost all hope before, no doctor helped me, and I couldn't afford going to them anymore. Don't ignore your tinnitus. Acknowledge to yourself it is there, then treat it. If you feel depressed, sad, suicidal, feeling you will never be happy again, rest easy. Many people on this site have been there, and personally I have. Today I might as well have never had it and I used to breakdown every day crying.

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your experience, this kind of messages really help me.
Can you tell more about "foods" to help tinnitus and about a sound therapy that helped you ?
I'm about to plan a strategy to tame this beas!

Do you have any experience about using Qi gong, tai chi, essential oils, or magnesium, curcuma ... ?

Sincerely yours,

Hello,
Thank you for sharing your experience, this kind of messages really help me.
Can you tell more about "foods" to help tinnitus and about a sound therapy that helped you ?
I'm about to plan a strategy to tame this beas!

Do you have any experience about using Qi gong, tai chi, essential oils, or magnesium, curcuma ... ?

Sincerely yours,
Foods:
- I noticed that avoiding alcohol, and caffeine lowered the volume of my T. I am a heavy coffee drinker so cutting it out was significant to my diet. Now I drink coffee heavy again, I get the T but I easily "shut it off" by tuning it out. Adding more nutrients to my diet, basically eating healthfully, also lowered my T.
Qi Gong:
- Very useful along with sound therapy which I highly recommend. For Qi Gong I have the book "Daoist Nei Gong" by Damo Mitchell. He gives many exercises and routines which are simple but also very helpful at directing your mind. T is only in the mind, it is the brain hearing itself. It is electricity being pumped to areas that are off. Directing your mind can stop this, which Qi Gong has also done for me. I know, it sounds a little crazy, but T is crazy, no one understands it fully because no one understands the brain and mind fully. Use the Qi Gong to focus your energy away from the ears and restore the Qi flow to your body.

Essential oils:
- no experience with the latter choices but experiment and find out what works for you. I have had positive feedback from a friend who has worse T than me saying that sound therapy, diet, and Qi Gong has had a positive impact to where they say the T has gone away, or they don't notice it at all.

Sound Therapy:
- What you need is a frequency generator. There are many free apps to try out, find one that is easy to navigate.
First, match the frequency to the sound and volume to your T using earphones or headphones if you have. Personally over the ear headphones work best for me. NOTE: START VOLUME ON THE LOWEST LEVEL. You don't want a loud ring right in your ear from the frequency, start at the lowest volume, it won't take much to match the volume in your ears.
Second. Play for about 3-5 minutes in the ear with the T, as soon as you take it out the T should sound like it's gone. It will come back in a few seconds, but do not fear, after 3 months of this I soon didn't need to do it anymore because either the T was gone or I just don't notice it anymore. In any event, the goal is to not hear it. Other masking devices are helpful because like I said earlier, it is a mind game. When you forget you have it, it will go away.

Side note: having more sensual experiences also help, like getting a good massage, or going swimming. Take the brain to different areas.

Thank you for your advices,

I find it hard to find my tinnitus frequency, it is beetween 7k5Hz/8k5kHz but I think I'm wrong the intervall is too big.

I agree, when I watch a very good movie I forget it, when I watch a bad one I hear it :)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now