• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

There Is a "Tugging" Inside My Left Ear After I Speak

Sen

Author
Jan 13, 2013
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
dunno
I'm trying to start using voice recognition software as part of my RSI (repetitive strain injury) treatment. When I say things to the program to help me recognize my voice, every time I pause in speech, I can hear a "whirring" noise inside my left ear alongside a sensation of buzzing and pulling. This lasts for 1-2 seconds following any speech. If I continue to speak for an extended period of time, this tugging begins to make me feel dizzy, causes fullness in my ear, and eventually starts to hurt. This symptom is only in my left ear at low volumes of speech, not in my right.

Normally in my day to day life, I don't use my voice much and have very little contact with other humans, so this symptom isn't a problem. However, if I'm going to continue to use voice recognition software, this obviously will become a problem.

I can't find any information about anything like this online. I really need some help.

TTTS maybe? I have thumping 1-2 seconds whenever I finish saying something. Not sure what you mean exactly by "buzzing and pulling". Like buzzing as in a new T sound?

Not sure what you mean exactly by "buzzing and pulling". Like buzzing as in a new T sound?
A feeling of vibration and pulling on my ear drum. It sounds similar to what you describe, there is thumping in addition to the buzzing and pulling.

Hi @Sen
Sorry to hear of the symptoms that you've been experiencing. I did send you a PM as I haven't seen you on the forum for quite a while but I didn't get an answer. Are you using headphones with microphone to operate this voice activation software? If you are this could be causing the irritation that you speak of. I know many of these applications require the use of a headset. As you are already sensitive to sound due to hyperacusis this could be responsible for what you describe. It's just a thought.
Hope things improve for you soon.
Michael

Are you using headphones with microphone to operate this voice activation software?
I am using a headset microphone, but I keep the speakers wrapped around my neck (not on my ears) and deactivated.

This isn't a new symptom. I've had it for 4+ years. I had this symptom even a couple months before H and T.

I did send you a PM as I haven't seen you on the forum for quite a while but I didn't get an answer.
I stopped using the forum because I had begun to see some improvement. I was doing a little better mentally and physically for a few months.

Things are becoming bad again, though. I'm not sure why. There was no sound incident or anything, my ears are just getting worse again.

I cannot spend much time on the internet anymore due to very painful hand, wrist and forearm RSI. My days are very lonely and boring.

Things are becoming bad again, though. I'm not sure why. I cannot spend much time on the internet anymore due to very painful hand, wrist and forearm RSI.
Good to hear that you were having some improvement @Sen. Looking on the bright side I believe it will again. I like the way you are using the headset as that shouldn't cause any harm. If you are experiencing any stress anxiety have you thought about seeing your Dr for something, or taking St John's Wort. It is quite good for stress and is herbal.

It's okay not to reply as I understand your situation.
All the best
Michael

If you are experiencing any stress anxiety have you thought about seeing your Dr for something
I've been tapering my benzodiazepines since last August. I'm down to 3mg of diazepam (down from 15mg) right now and holding. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to take any additional medication for the time being.

I've been tapering my benzodiazepines since last August. I'm down to 3mg of diazepam (down from 15mg) right now and holding. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to take any additional medication for the time being.
No you musn't take St John's Wort with those meds that's for sure. I didn't know you were taking medication. You seem to be doing well with tapering the benzos and diazepam. I know it isn't easy but you will get there. One day at a time.
All the best
Michael

It's been over 4 years and I'm still not there. Hard to maintain any hope when it's been so persistent for so long, with no major recovery.
Thanks, though. I appreciate the thought.
Try not to give up Sen. If you have read my story: My experience with tinnitus. It is in my "started threads". It took me 4 years + to recover from my second noise trauma that started in 2008. My tinnitus isn't like it was before 2008 but has improved. Stay with it and you have your family around you. If you drink, try having a glass or wine or beer in the evening, purely for medicinal purposes. It helped me many times.
You will get there.
Michael

I cannot spend much time on the internet anymore due to very painful hand, wrist and forearm RSI. My days are very lonely and boring.

@Sen

I have battled wrist / forearm RSI for years. Something that helps me a great deal is a trigger-point roller (the hard plastic / metal kind, not foam). There are many brands, this one from Amazon is particularly inexpensive and good quality:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QH8NTHA/

If you have not already tried it might be worth a shot in addition to whatever stretches, etc. you are doing. If you feel pins and needles / electrical shocks when you roll, that is supposed to be a good sign, it means you are reaching the problematic nerves.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now