Honky

Author
Jul 11, 2018
Gotham
Tinnitus Since
06/2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Truck air horn
1. Growling with a Halloween mask on. Ouch!
2. Hitting a heavy plate on another one.
3. Going to a baby shower where there was live jazz piano, people talking, people opening beers. OMG!
4. The wind.
5. My son blew a high pitched piercing whistle for 3 seconds until I grabbed it at which point he screamed louder than the whistle. Ow.
6. Being alive. You mean I should be dead Mr. Tinnitus? Ugh.
7. You fill the rest in. I can't go on. It's too annoying.

Did any of it settle?
It has quieted down because, I totally ignore it now. Even though it continues to remind me it's there. It sounds like that sinewy sound of a TV that's on with no volume now. Before it was like, well, worse.

I recently read Vik Veer's 'Cure For Tinnitus' that I found online, and it seemed to help me in a way. But his theory that we can somehow train the brain to release its focus on the tone doesn't seem to be easy to accomplish, though the instructions are straightforward (ignore the tone at all cost). So perhaps learning meditation techniques might help. I mean, how many different things can you distract yourself with before you hear it again. Buh.

Well I'm glad it's Friday. My stress level will go down!

One more thing: a few mL of CBD tincture seemed to help me immensely last night into this morning, but the effect has worn off now and I have a headache. I'd say I'm at a 1 or 2 now. It was 4-5 after Halloween when I growled for 2 seconds while wearing my son's plastic mask - ouch!!! Should not have done that. The sound went around the curve of the mask straight into my bad ear. My baseline seems to be lower than ever at about 0.25-0.5 these days, but life seems to keep spiking it - up to 7-8 range sometimes. Right now it seems to be a 2.

Ok so on ear plugs: I have worn white foam 29 dB cylinders for 15 years at shows, using power tools, playing music. Never heard any t. After my acoustic trauma in May of this year (truck horn) I wear them also at restaurants, at parties, walking on the street, talking to people who are loud etc. I tried musician's plugs briefly a few years ago but they let more sound in and I didn't like them as much as plain old foam.

I also use foam with ear muffs over whenever vacuuming or using power tools.

My friend who has had t since he was a kid can't wear foam plugs. They fall out. I thought he wasn't compressing before inserting but he was; his ear canal just can't hold the foam. So he uses ear muffs only.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now