• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Thinking of Getting a Nissen Fundoplication...

japongus

Author
May 17, 2015
Tinnitus Since
I got a ton of reflux, and I think it's about time I had a fundoplication done. I have delayed it for years thinking the anaesthesia would drive my H over the edge, and there are records of anaesthesia-like drugs both improving and worsening T and H. What's your experience, you know of cases like this, people with T and or H that got operations?

Operating theaters can sometimes be very loud, insensitive places. You'd need to make your condition clearly understood, because while you're under, your ear mechanisms aren't, and there can be a lot of loud talk, rattling and bumping of trolleys, dropped instruments etc. Find out what conditions are like in the OR of the Institution you attend. I'd also make sure they put ear plugs in for you for the procedure. There's some posts about this over on Hyperacusis Network's forum.

Operating theaters can sometimes be very loud, insensitive places. You'd need to make your condition clearly understood, because while you're under, your ear mechanisms aren't, and there can be a lot of loud talk, rattling and bumping of trolleys, dropped instruments etc. Find out what conditions are like in the OR of the Institution you attend. I'd also make sure they put ear plugs in for you for the procedure. There's some posts about this over on Hyperacusis Network's forum.

Good points. While I can find some pretty negative experiences with tenotomies for myoclonus over at hyperacusis chat network, I can't find anything specific about operation conditions. Could you give me the links here? thanks

There might be a fire alarm too...

I'm thinking of taking a fan noise sandisk in a couple of earphones, might help. Over the ear plugs, because my acoustic reflex can't even stand the beat of blood/heart that goes into the foreground in absolute silence, and because ear plugs might be taking the heartbeat from the body into the ear canal, I'm not sure. I'm not sure about the anaesthesia like midazolam, or clonazepam or whatever they use, as my condition is ridiculously rare and they won't have experience, and there are reports that they both eliminate and/or increase T and H.

Anasthesia will be midazolam, not clonazepam. Probably also fentanyl, and a definitely voluntary muscle paralysis agent like rocuronium. That won't stop your middle ear muscles though, and you don't want to be awake and paralyzed to find out anyway.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now