• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Tinnitus 95% Gone

Roger_S

Author
Jul 30, 2017
Tinnitus Since
06/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Fell asleep with the headphones on.
I'm pretty tired, so I'm keeping it short.

It's been 8 weeks.
I've been able to get back to work again after 5 weeks.
I can still hear it, but it's no more than a whisper.

The worst day was after 2 weeks when it suddenly went downhill again.
I tried listening to white noise on YouTube and instead of decreasing my tinnitus, it increased my tinnitus tremendously.
I could no longer sleep and fled to my father's villa and into his garden shed to avoid electricity, which I suspected was somehow also raising my tinnitus.

For the next two weeks I'm sleeping in a tent.
I could no longer read, so distracted I was by it and being inside my father's house or anyone else's raised my tinnitus.

My first visit with an ENT was terrible.
I expected very little, but I did expect at least some advances in technology.
But no, it was a return to the 1980's.
Just put your headphones on and listen to some beeps and that's it.
ENT advice was useless. I had to wait for this? No advice on how to live?

Two weeks later, my second visit at an was better.
I felt already much much better. I was able to read again.
Second ENT still felt useless, but I was allowed to do the beeping test again
and the results showed I was improving.

My ENT told me that I'm lucky to be 35.
A few years older and this would not have healed.
I'm on my way to full recovery.

My ENT told me that I'm lucky to be 35.
A few years older and this would not have healed.
I'm on my way to full recovery.

Wait. That ENT was saying that it's normal for young people to recover? Which parts were healing exactly?
I'm 23 and I notice no healing going on.
How did you get your T in the first place?

Also, congratulations.

How did you get your T in the first place?

Acoustic trauma. I fell asleep with my headphones on and while sleeping I pressed the volume button up to the max, which didn't wake me up as I don't have the genes to register sound while asleep.

What did you do to recover?

Nothing.
I'm lucky to not have my ears damaged too much.
The only things I've tried to do was

- Avoid anything that would spike it
- chewing gum, which only alleviated some of the attention fatigue, so I was able to read again.
- Wear Peltor X5 headphones, not too sure if that helped.
- Sleep in a tent to avoid electricity and enjoy the sounds of nature. (my father's garden is big)
- Walk and enjoy the sounds of nature in general, (which got boring and sad real quick to me.)

[rant]

I'm certain that Tinnitus is a disease to which despite living in the 21st century, doesn't have an easy cure as of yet or in the near future.
Compared to the IT world, the whole health care world feels like a throwback to the 19th century to me or at best the 20th century.
Next decade will change that for sure though.
Bioprinters and surgical robots is going to enter that and accelerate that I feel is a sleepy village that's constantly too afraid to launch new medicine that could hurt people, delaying it for decades, but stick with the old medicine that would never have been approved by the new laws. Not to mention that too much attention is given to try and solve every problem with a pill. The first thing they'll try to use Bioprinters for is to test pills on them before they'll actually try and use bioprinters to cure people directly.

[/rant]

Just make sure it stays like this. It happened to me too, but through some stupid decisions and random things that happened it came back. Your ears are compromised now, so you still have to be VERY CAREFUL for it not to come.

That means be careful with in-ear earbuds. Ototoxic medications, dentists, flying, concerts ect. Just be aware, still protect your ears and you will be fine.

Compared to the IT world, the whole health care world feels like a throwback to the 19th century to me or at best the 20th century.
Next decade will change that for sure though.
Bioprinters and surgical robots is going to enter that and accelerate that I feel is a sleepy village that's constantly too afraid to launch new medicine that could hurt people, delaying it for decades, but stick with the old medicine that would never have been approved by the new laws. Not to mention that too much attention is given to try and solve every problem with a pill. The first thing they'll try to use Bioprinters for is to test pills on them before they'll actually try and use bioprinters to cure people directly.

I feel the same way. I'm afraid it's even worse than that however. It's not just a matter of shooting an arrow at a target, because that could be refined rather quickly. It's more like trying to hit a bullseye while blindfolded and seeing where the arrow lands.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but robots have no problems hitting bullseyes while blindfolded. They'll hit the target each and every time.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but robots have no problems hitting bullseyes while blindfolded. They'll hit the target each and every time.

I'd say a better analogy is like trying to hit a bullseye when it's pitch black and you have no idea where the target is. Right now we're more or less completely in the dark when it comes to T. There are plausible theories but it's not like other conditions where they know what's going on but haven't figured out how to fix it.

Roger,
Please keep us updated on your journey to recovery!

It's been 5 years.

My tinnitus might have been increasing the last two years, although I can't tell, It's just how I feel.

The frequency, however, has remained steady the last two years. And that's a big plus because it allows me to ignore the noise.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now