• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Tinnitus After the Jesus and Mary Chain Concert

KevinShaw

Author
Jan 26, 2024
United Kingdom
Tinnitus Since
11/2023
Cause of Tinnitus
concert
Hi.

I'm Kevin. I have been a concert go-er for 40 years.

I attended the Jesus and Mary Chain in a small venue last November. Not a particular loud concert I thought and was actually cupping my ears to get a better effect. Usual ringing in ears. Two days later right ear back to normal - left ear muffled and sounded a bit distorted. Thinking it was earwax, I tried a week of softening the ear canal and then used a water irrigation which normally works. Nothing happened. G.P. said it looked a bit 'red,' so I was given an ear spray for a couple of weeks, followed by ear drops that were stronger, but still no joy.

Finally I was put on a steroid oral penicillin. Nothing worked - hearing still muffled with constant ringing.

I went to an ENT. They said I have 20 dB hearing loss in that ear - interior looks clear, a bit of debris from all the ear drops etc, but that I might have to live with the tinnitus.

I am also getting lots of migraines last year and now, but my audiologist doesn't think it's related.

I have 3 gigs up and coming this year, but I'm thinking that my days of concerts may be over for a
while.

The ringing isn't severe but I don't want it to get worse.

Any information would be great.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, it's best to curb all of your concert plans for the future, even loud bars/clubs, sporting events, large crowds. Start protecting your ears around any loud sounds so that you don't get worse like many of us have. Avoid using headphones and earbuds.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The left ear is very mild at the moment, I want it to stay that way.

I'm devastated I can't go to anymore gigs - but hey, I had a good run.

Thinking of just getting some earplugs to protect in other noisy situations - any recommendations?

Thanks.

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

The left ear is very mild at the moment, I want it to stay that way.

I'm devastated I can't go to anymore gigs - but hey, I had a good run.

Thinking of just getting some earplugs to protect in other noisy situations - any recommendations?

Thanks.
3M 1100 orange foam disposable earplugs, a box of 200 individually wrapped pairs @ 13¢ a pair is ideal and they block sound very well. Or, you can get fancy non-disposable ones that allow for various levels of sound to reach your hearing, some are supposedly tuned to allow protection plus hearing conversation, music, etc. I use several types of those as well as the 3M disposable ones. Non-disposable brands such as Alpine, Etymotic, Eargasm (a bit pricey), and more are fine.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now