• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Tinnitus, As I See It

Michael Leigh

Author
Benefactor
Feb 4, 2014
Brighton, UK
Tinnitus Since
04/1996
Cause of Tinnitus
Noise induced
Tinnitus, As I See It.

Most books on tinnitus will inform you that it's a very common condition that many people habituate to with relative ease. Ask family members or friends about it and the first thing you will hear is: I've had it for years but just ignore it. Mine plays a tune. I hear it now and again but it's nothing. It is always there in the background but its low". I only hear mine at night etc.

These people are the fortunate ones that may never need to go to a GP and ask to be referred to an ENT clinic. When you reply to them and say: you are finding it hard to cope or you're going to hospital for help - brace yourself for the look of surprise on their faces as if to say what on earth is wrong with you?

The truth is, tinnitus comes in many forms and intensities and no two people experience it the same. Fortunately, most people do habituate to tinnitus even after being referred to an ENT clinic and go on to lead a happy and fulfilling life. I can almost hear your sigh of relief, but I mustn't forget to add, it does take time so be patient.

The thing that affects a lot of people is usually the first 6 months to 1 year and possibly longer of having the condition and thus, many people find forums such as this in a quest for help to make their path to habituation easier and if possible a lot quicker. There is nothing wrong with this as long as a person is realistic and their expectations are not set too high. Listening to advice of more experienced people that are seasoned to tinnitus can be beneficial providing their advice is adhered to and I will give one example below.

I understand some people do not want to take an antidepressant to help cope with tinnitus and in an ideal world no-one wants to take medicine. However, the facts are that tinnitus is generated in the part of the brain called the Limbic system which is directly affected by our moods. The more stressed or depressed a person becomes the more intrusive the tinnitus will appear to be. The calmer we are the tinnitus usually becomes less intrusive.

Antidepressants can make tinnitus worse for some people but this is usually temporary. The way I see it. If one feels their T, which is perfectly understandable, is depressing them they owe it to themselves to seek the help of their GP as the positives far out way the negatives in my opinion. My blood pressure medicine is listed as, can cause tinnitus. I have variable tinnitus that ranges from silent to severe. My BP meds don't make my T any worse and I've been taking it for years. I prefer taking the tablets rather than risk having a stroke, kidney failure or worse by not taking them.

Habituation to tinnitus is possible but a person has to be prepared to try and help themselves, if they want to improve their quality of life. It will not happen automatically. Please start by listening to some of the good advice in this forum and following it.

I wish you well

Michael

Keep them coming,my dear friend,
Wise old owl.....hahaha young and handsome lots of love always glynis

Antidepressants can make tinnitus worse for some people but this is usually temporary.
There are a considerable number of people who first found this forum as a result of long-term tinnitus following use of antidepressants or anti-anxiety drugs.

Note that I am heavily biased on this issue because I believe I was needlessly medicated for a number of years and that it did far more harm than good.

Yeah; I do tend to be hawkish on this, and apologize if I am coming across as antagonistic.

Put differently and more simply, I would only encourage people to explore SSRIs/psych drugs well after making serious structural changes to their lives (well managed diet, sleep habits, exercise, yoga/meditation). My reason for that is twofold: for one thing, many people who do all that stuff first will no longer desire the drugs, and secondly, people who have done all that stuff are in a much better place to understand and deal with the consequences of taking the drugs, than someone who gets tinnitus in the middle of an overly stressed, out-of-shape, junk food lifestyle and then just adds drugs to the top of that toxic mix rather than dealing with the simpler problems first.

The thing that affects a lot of people is usually the first 6 months to 1 year and possibly longer of having the condition and thus, many people find forums such as this in a quest for help to make their path to habituation easier and if possible a lot quicker.
I am not a native English speaker, so my question is: by the quoted sentence, do you mean that many tinnitus sufferers struggle for the first six months to a year and then eventually improve?

Another thing is that many tinnitus counselors and websites advise against visiting tinnitus forums. However, I find your threads and posts professional, filled with valuable experience, and encouraging. Of course, each person needs to develop a sense of what works best for them, but I will continue to visit Tinnitus Talk in moderation, and I especially look forward to reading your threads and posts.

I am not a native English speaker, so my question is: by the quoted sentence, do you mean that many tinnitus sufferers struggle for the first six months to a year and then eventually improve?
Nothing is absolute. I merely make suggestions about how a person will respond to tinnitus because we are all different. However, I will say I am quite surprised that you're not a native English speaker. If I may say so, you're quite articulate and convey what you want to say rather well. The mere fact that you're able to do this is, in my opinion, a good sign. It suggests to me that your tinnitus is likely to improve to the point where it will no longer bother you. Try not to get fixated on what I have said. Just take things slowly and allow yourself time to heal. Remember, you are going through a process that affects one's mental and emotional well-being. You need time to accept this but I'm confident in time you'll be alright.
Another thing is that many tinnitus counselors and websites advise against visiting tinnitus forums. However, I find your threads and posts professional, filled with valuable experience, and encouraging. Of course, each person needs to develop a sense of what works best for them, but I will continue to visit Tinnitus Talk in moderation, and I especially look forward to reading your threads and posts.
Thank you for your kind comments. There is some truth in what you have read. If you're the type of person who can be easily influenced by negative posts, reading such content online about tinnitus or on tinnitus forums can have a detrimental effect on one's progress, particularly if they are having treatment such as TRT, CBT, or counseling. The opposite can happen if one reads posts from people who have a positive outlook on life, and there are quite a few people who think this way in Tinnitus Talk.

I have written about this in posts on my started threads. If you read posts from negative thinking people, there is the risk that their way of thinking will soon become yours, and hence, the treatments I have mentioned above may not help a person. I am not saying one shouldn't think negatively about their tinnitus or not feel occasionally down about it. I am saying not to allow negativity to become overwhelming.

Someone contacted me yesterday who is having some difficulty managing tinnitus at the moment because they have suffered a second noise trauma. Understandably, this person is reading content online about tinnitus and at forums. Unfortunately, they mentioned reading negative posts is starting to affect them and not in a good way. I spent quite some time talking to this person and mentioned there's nothing wrong with reaching out for help with tinnitus. Still, one must try to keep away from reading negative comments about the condition, particularly from people who are less than complimentary about treatments that the medical professional endorses.

All the best,
Michael

@Michael Leigh, are you habituated, or are you severely distressed?
After my second noise trauma in 2008, it took me four years to habituate again. Please refer to my thread, "My Experience with Tinnitus," for more details.

I have a very rare and severe form of noise-induced tinnitus, according to both my ENT consultant and hearing therapist. They rarely encounter patients with my type of tinnitus.

Since 2012, I have been habituated to my tinnitus and take clonazepam as needed—usually for one or two days a month, then I stop. I consider myself habituated. For a better understanding of what I mean by habituation, please read my threads: "The Habituation Process" and "How to Habituate to Tinnitus."

However, since February of this year, my tinnitus suddenly changed, and I don't know why. I am certain it's not due to further exposure to loud noise, so I believe age could be a factor. I am currently 64, soon to be 65. Over the past seven months, it has become increasingly difficult for me to manage my tinnitus, despite my many years of experience with the condition. The reason is that my tinnitus is no longer bilateral; it has become unilateral and has reached incredibly severe levels at times. I have had to take Clonazepam more frequently, and I don't know how I would have coped without it.

A few months ago, I briefly mentioned what I have been going through on Tinnitus Talk, but I decided not to go into too much detail. @Eleanor89 is a good friend of mine and is aware of my struggles. I am a positive thinker and am currently undergoing a treatment program. Hopefully, at some point in the future, I will share more details about my experience with tinnitus this year, as it might help someone.

While I do not consider myself to be in distress due to my tinnitus, it can be challenging at times. Despite this, I am still able to correspond with and counsel people who seek my help.

All the best,
Michael

After my second noise trauma in 2008, it took me four years to habituate again. Please refer to my thread, "My Experience with Tinnitus," for more details.

I have a very rare and severe form of noise-induced tinnitus, according to both my ENT consultant and hearing therapist. They rarely encounter patients with my type of tinnitus.

Since 2012, I have been habituated to my tinnitus and take clonazepam as needed—usually for one or two days a month, then I stop. I consider myself habituated. For a better understanding of what I mean by habituation, please read my threads: "The Habituation Process" and "How to Habituate to Tinnitus."

However, since February of this year, my tinnitus suddenly changed, and I don't know why. I am certain it's not due to further exposure to loud noise, so I believe age could be a factor. I am currently 64, soon to be 65. Over the past seven months, it has become increasingly difficult for me to manage my tinnitus, despite my many years of experience with the condition. The reason is that my tinnitus is no longer bilateral; it has become unilateral and has reached incredibly severe levels at times. I have had to take Clonazepam more frequently, and I don't know how I would have coped without it.

A few months ago, I briefly mentioned what I have been going through on Tinnitus Talk, but I decided not to go into too much detail. @Eleanor89 is a good friend of mine and is aware of my struggles. I am a positive thinker and am currently undergoing a treatment program. Hopefully, at some point in the future, I will share more details about my experience with tinnitus this year, as it might help someone.

While I do not consider myself to be in distress due to my tinnitus, it can be challenging at times. Despite this, I am still able to correspond with and counsel people who seek my help.

All the best,
Michael
If your tinnitus went from bilateral to unilateral, it should be easier to manage, as dealing with it in only one ear is better than both. I also know someone who has loud tinnitus in one ear, and it comes and goes in the other, especially when stress levels are high. He says it's much easier to cope with just one ear ringing rather than both.

While I do not consider myself to be in distress due to my tinnitus, it can be challenging at times.
If I may say so, I would also like to wish you all the best!
Despite this, I am still able to correspond with and counsel people who seek my help.
Thank you so much for that!

If your tinnitus went from bilateral to unilateral, it should be easier to manage, as dealing with it in only one ear is better than both
I once believed this to be true, @Lipshitz, but let me assure you, this is not the case for me.

If you look up unilateral tinnitus online, you'll find that it is considered more serious than bilateral tinnitus. ENT doctors believe it could indicate a more serious underlying issue within the auditory system.

That's all I want to say for now.

Michael

If you read posts from negative thinking people, there is the risk that their way of thinking will soon become yours, and hence, the treatments I have mentioned above may not help a person. I am not saying one shouldn't think negatively about their tinnitus or not feel occasionally down about it. I am saying not to allow negativity to become overwhelming.
Agreed. There are some members who regularly make negative comments, constantly trying to scare others by saying it might get worse and that nothing works, etc. Fortunately, I found out how to block them, and I will continue blocking anyone who consistently posts negative, doom-and-gloom remarks.

I once believed this to be true, @Lipshitz, but let me assure you, this is not the case for me.

If you look up unilateral tinnitus online, you'll find that it is considered more serious than bilateral tinnitus. ENT doctors believe it could indicate a more serious underlying issue within the auditory system.

That's all I want to say for now.

Michael
Yes, that is true, but it relates to another health issue or a more serious ear condition. It doesn't have to do with how well you handle sounds. Obviously, loud tinnitus in only one ear means you'd have to deal with only half the sound compared to having it in both ears.

Yes, that is true, but it relates to another health issue or a more serious ear condition. It doesn't have to do with how well you handle sounds. Obviously, loud tinnitus in only one ear means you'd have to deal with only half the sound compared to having it in both ears.
Normally, I would agree with you, @Lipshitz, but as I've mentioned before, both my ENT consultant and hearing therapist have informed me that I have a rare and severe form of noise-induced tinnitus, which is not often seen in other tinnitus patients.

This is why I was prescribed Clonazepam in 2011. Please refer to my thread: My Experience with Tinnitus. I've been taking Clonazepam more frequently since my tinnitus worsened in February 2024. Before that, I only took it once or twice a month, for a maximum of two days, and then stopped. Clonazepam would reduce the tinnitus within 4 to 12 hours, either to a more manageable level or to complete silence. The dosage was 2x 0.5 mg tablets. My post history will verify this.

As I mentioned, I don't want to go into too much detail at this time. Yesterday, I took 2x 0.5 mg tablets in the early morning, but the tinnitus remained very intrusive by 10 p.m., so I had to take another dose. This isn't something I want to do. The tinnitus has reduced to a more manageable level this morning, but it wouldn't have done so without the second dose.

I've had noise-induced tinnitus for 28 years and know its behavior quite well. The unilateral tinnitus I've been experiencing since February is much more severe than the bilateral tinnitus I used to have. I never thought this could happen, but it's true in my case. My GP/PCP has no hesitation in prescribing Clonazepam because my ENT notes clearly indicate that I have very severe tinnitus.

I now want to refocus on what I've been doing for the past 10 years at Tinnitus Talk: helping people with noise-induced tinnitus and hyperacusis.

By the way, tinnitus mostly originates in the brain, not the ears, even though it may not seem that way. The brain has only *one auditory center*—this was explained to me by a friend who is an audiologist.

I wish you well,
Michael

Agreed. There are some members who regularly make negative comments, constantly trying to scare others by saying it might get worse and that nothing works, etc. Fortunately, I found out how to block them, and I will continue blocking anyone who consistently posts negative, doom-and-gloom remarks.
That's great, @Furetto. Can you tell me in a few words how the blocking feature functions?

I agree with you. This is why it's so important to maintain a positive mindset, even during tough times. There's no doubt that tinnitus can be very debilitating when it's severe, but we must try not to let negativity become overwhelming. My threads, Acquiring a Positive Mindset and Tinnitus and the Negative Mindset, explain this in detail.

I read one of your posts where you asked a member why they consistently make negative comments about tinnitus, claim it will get worse no matter what, and frequently share links suggesting that no tinnitus treatments work. I've also encountered this person but have since decided to no longer engage with them.

Take care and all the best,
Michael

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now