Tinnitus for 1.5 Months After Music Festival — The Most Horrible Ailment I've Ever Suffered

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Blackbird1016, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I wasn't dragging anyone down. You need to grow up. It is a fact and if you can't take it, that's your problem. Mild tinnitus is alot easier to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Again I wasn’t privy to that kind of information, I know nothing more than the publicly stated information that the source of this is continues to be a mystery, but the importance of understanding what was causing this was at least partially informed by a concern for battlefield use.

• Like Like x 1
    3. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Understood.

4. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Late to this thread as I'm almost never on this site anymore. I haven't read this whole thread as I have very limited time. I wanted to add this information in here as it may be helpful if it hasn't already been posted.

OSHA applies, at least in California. I would suspect it would apply federally as well. You can file a lawsuit. I don't know if an attorney in you area would take this on as contingency. Otherwise it will be very expense with an absolute unknown outcome.

It would be great if a firm would take this on as a class action.

Then maybe we would see a change in the industry on safe sound levels. The EU is way ahead of the US on this front.

Music festivals are notorious for volume levels over OSHA standards.

The important part that you've done is seen an ENT nearly immediately after your injury.

If you're planning on filing a lawsuit, the statute of limitations is 2 years in California. If you're in another state, you'd have to look it up, or get advice from an attorney.

Disclaimer: I'm not offering legal, medical, or any other advice.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blackbird1016

Blackbird1016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Festival
      I'm not in California, I'm in New York but the incident happened in New Jersey.

Thank you for the information though. I would like to do some kind of class action lawsuit. It's quite awful. I'm up with the ringing right now.

6. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Might be worth putting the foot work in on finding a firm that specializes in class action lawsuits.

I would have a hard time believing you were the only one injured at that event.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blackbird1016

Blackbird1016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Festival
      I know I wasn't. I feel like there's definitely a path to sue that would force festivals and concerts to have protection laws but most tinnitus sufferers don't seem to want to investigate it. You're the first one to take it seriously I've met on Tinnitus Talk and I've been here over a year.

8. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      When I posted on here my intention to file a lawsuit against a band that caused my tinnitus, I was met with very negative responses.

I found that incredibly frustrating as I was injured at no fault of my own. There was no warning, no protection provided, and I was injured.

The fine print on a ticket is not a legal defense, assumption of the risk in not a legal defense (unless there was a warning posted and protection provided). Hearing damage is caused without the feeling of pain, and therefore pain isn't an indication that would normally help you avoid injury, such as heat from a fire. Prior exposure to noise isn't a defense unless it made you aware of the potential of injury.

These are difficult lawsuits as it is fairly new territory and sadly most people don't understand how distressing, depressing, and life changing tinnitus can be, so damages aren't very high on average.

I really believe the concert/festival industry needs to change their behavior, protect people's hearing, and at a minimum warn people of the danger and provide earplugs. It'd cost them 50 cents a person at most to protect patron's hearing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Blackbird1016

Blackbird1016 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music Festival
      Well, at least two of us have some balls.