Tinnitus for 8 Weeks and It's Fading, Can Only Notice It in Quiet Rooms — Will It Go for Good?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by monkey124, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. monkey124

monkey124 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Hi there,

Firstly thank you very much for being available and answering some of our questions for us it is much appreciated.

So, 8 weeks ago today I woke up with very blocked ears - I didn’t freak out as figured it had something to do with the cold that I had a month before. I left it a few days and went to the docs to see if it was a wax build up - the confirmed it was indeed and to put olive oil in my ears to loosen it and assured me that it would fall out on its own accord. So, I took their advice and put olive oil in to both ears and I then noticed that my left ear was humming which is of course seriously stressed me out. I spent the next week and half stressing and eventually took the decision to go and get my ears microsuctioned - a huge piece of wax came out of my right ear and a moderate amount in my left. Left ear was still humming afterwards and at this point I got really upset. I then had a hearing test and all was fine - didn’t have a high frequency test but going for that on Friday but am wondering if it is pointless? Two days after microsuction the right ear then started to make a funny noise.

I went to see an ENT and he is convinced that this tinnitus is stress induced as from the moment I woke up with blocked ears I was worrying. He said that if I can calm down then it should subside and eventually go. Who knows?

Since I moved away from London I barely play headphones. I did go out at Christmas and had ears ringing the next day but then totally stopped (I haven’t been out to bars / clubs) for a good few years now. I played a song pretty loud twice for about 6 min the day before the microsuction but ears weren’t ringing.

I do think my tinnitus has improved but so hard to tell as I am utterly obsessed with it and monitoring it day by day.

The sound in my left ear is kind of like a bathroom fan but in the very distant and then the right ear I don’t really hear unless it is going over things like the radiator etc. Another thing to note is that it feels like something is vibrating in my left ear and when I talk or someone else talks to me it vibrates?

My question really is, do you think this temporary? A good sign that I am now only noticing it in quiet rooms? Can tinnitus really just go?!

Sorry for the very LONG post!

• Useful Useful x 1
    2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hello @monkey124 -

I can well-understand your concern.

As I see it, tinnitus loudness as one perceives it is a multifactorial phenomenon (see, for instance, the attachment below) - so I tend not to use it as some sort of predictor of the future but rather as a statement about the present. And right now it sounds like you are doing great!

Besides, in a quiet enough room (i.e., in the experimental dead silence of an audiology booth), most everybody can detect at least a little tinnitus upon listening hard enough for long enough, so in that regard it's all a matter of degree!

All the best to you. Stay well, stay safe, and stay socially distant!

Stephen M. Nagler, M.D.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1