• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Tinnitus from Being in Artillery in the Army!

Stanley Pickle

Author
Sep 12, 2024
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Artillery
Hi,

My name is Stanley Pickle, and I developed tinnitus way back in 1981 while in the army. At first, I didn't think it would be a problem, or that it would go away. It NEVER went away. By the late '90s, it started causing significant issues, and I eventually had a breakdown in 2003.

When I had that breakdown, it felt like a circuit breaker went off. Since then, I've been extremely fatigued and sleep about 20 hours a day. Unfortunately, in November 2023, my tinnitus got even worse, doubling in intensity and adding a chirping sound. To make matters worse, I had a pulsating heartbeat in my right ear for two days.

I can't take this any longer, and I'm so tired of doctors telling me there's nothing they can do.

There must be something! Can anybody offer any help?

Attachments

• me at the castle nurnberg.jpg
    me at the castle nurnberg.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 74
I think it is so sad that not one person can tell me anything that can help me survive the tinnitus.

Tears times infinity. :cry:
Stanley, I am very sorry to hear about your suffering, and I want to thank you for your service in the United States armed forces.

In the short term, I recommend reading some of @Michael Leigh's threads. Additionally, while I do not suggest donating to the American Tinnitus Association, they do have a triage helpline that can connect you with an audiologist for tinnitus counseling. You might also want to explore some of Dr. Bruce Hubbard's resources at cbtfortinnitus.com, and consider scheduling appointments with him. The VA also has a tinnitus protocol, and if you haven't already, you may want to file for disability benefits.

Looking ahead, I believe we are on the brink of multiple credible avenues for tinnitus treatment that could offer partial or near-full suppression. Some people have found success with Lenire, but I would recommend waiting a few years before trying it, as I believe better options are on the horizon. I know how challenging each day can be with this condition, but this is not the time to lose hope. I truly believe that in the near future, people will look back on these days and be grateful they persevered. I will say a prayer for you tonight.

Additionally, with the launch of Tinnitus Quest, we finally have an organization dedicated to funding high-risk, high-reward studies that could significantly advance tinnitus research. This could greatly impact future treatment possibilities. I encourage you to follow their progress, donate if you can, and promote their work. They have major industry players involved, which gives me a lot of hope!

Lastly, a bit of advice: protect your sleep as much as possible and avoid addictive substances like benzodiazepines if you can. Deep relaxation techniques can help calm your nervous system and activate the parasympathetic response, which is key to moving out of "fight or flight" mode. @Jazzer has a meditation that might be beneficial.

Stay strong, and take care of yourself.

Hi Stanley,

I'm really sorry to hear that you're struggling. You've been dealing with tinnitus for over 40 years, which is such a long time, and I think you probably know more about this condition than most people. As for me, I'm new to it, having only been suffering for 5 months, so I don't know much yet. It's scary to think that this condition can apparently have no limits. I really hope, for all of our sakes, that the medical community can come up with something that will help us all.

Was there any specific event that caused your tinnitus to worsen in November?

I have had tinnitus for just over a year, while you've been dealing with it for 43 years. I don't know if I can offer much help, but I want you to know that you've been heard. Please hang in there. I'm sure someone with more experience than me will come along and respond to you.

Pray to whatever you believe in, and know that you will be okay. Please keep holding on.

I think it is so sad that not one person can tell me anything that can help me survive the tinnitus.

Tears times infinity. :cry:
I'm sorry to hear about your condition. If you've had hearing loss-induced tinnitus for many years and are in your 60s or 70s, I would suggest taking anti-anxiety and antidepressant medications until the Susan Shore Device becomes available in a couple of years. In the meantime, focus on relaxation—get massages and practice mindfulness meditation regularly. Hang in there until the device comes out.

If your tinnitus is causing you panic, depression, or insomnia, you may be entitled to higher VA disability payments for these psychological conditions that are secondary to your tinnitus. Make sure you are receiving financial compensation for all the psychological distress ultimately caused by your military service, as the disability payment for tinnitus alone is quite low.

What exactly were you hearing in 2003, during your breakdown? Can you describe the exact nature of your tinnitus at that time?

What exactly were you hearing in 2003, during your breakdown? Can you describe the exact nature of your tinnitus at that time?
I'm so glad you asked that question. Back in 2003, all I could hear was the loud ringing in my ears. I had a mental breakdown because I couldn't sleep and couldn't work. Initially, I could go golfing, and it would help me forget about the tinnitus. But eventually, even while golfing, the tinnitus was still driving me crazy. That was the moment I had my breakdown, when not even golfing could help anymore.

During my breakdown, I reached a point where I just couldn't take it for one more second. I screamed at the top of my lungs for about five minutes and smashed all of my angel figurines in the street. When it was over, and I was done screaming, I felt so exhausted that all I could do was sleep. I ended up sleeping 20 hours a day for many years, sometimes even for a couple of days straight. I only got out of bed when I had to work. I think I've been sleeping 20 hours a day since 2003.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now