Tinnitus from Intravenous Methylprednisolone Injections: What Are My Chances of Recovery?

delta784

Author
Sep 29, 2024
Tinnitus Since
2020, 2024
Cause of Tinnitus
Gunshot, MethylPrednisolone
Has anyone ever fully recovered from drug-induced tinnitus?

I've been suffering from tinnitus for about 20 days after receiving a Methylprednisolone injection (steroids) for my hyperacusis. I took two 60 mg doses, but I was so scared that I quit cold turkey and didn't even try tapering. Unfortunately, the tinnitus is still very present, and I'm feeling severely depressed.

Out of curiosity, has anyone who experienced drug-induced ototoxicity ever had their tinnitus go away? If so, how long did it take, and what was the recovery process like? Did you just wake up one day to find your tinnitus was gone, or was it a very gradual improvement over time? Should I expect spike days during the recovery process?

I'm very young (29) and just looking for a bit of hope.

I developed hyperacusis along with a cacophony of reactive noises after taking a 60 mg course of Prednisolone. Thankfully, most of them subsided within 4-6 weeks. However, I experienced a setback and had to go back on Prednisolone, this time at 40 mg, but fortunately no new tones appeared.

I developed hyperacusis along with a cacophony of reactive noises after taking a 60 mg course of Prednisolone. Thankfully, most of them subsided within 4-6 weeks. However, I experienced a setback and had to go back on Prednisolone, this time at 40 mg, but fortunately no new tones appeared.
I can't believe my ENT prescribed that for my hyperacusis. ENTs are a joke, and I won't trust any of them from now on. I'm in my third week, and I can only hope this subsides a bit. I wish I had taken the pills orally instead; she even gave me injections in my arm, which was nonsense.

In Germany, where I live, steroid injections are commonly administered, often in doses as high as 200 mg. According to doctors, there isn't much difference in side effects between 60 mg and 200 mg, but the higher dose is generally more effective at reducing inflammation. It's a great drug, although it can interfere with neurotransmitters in the brain. However, these effects typically resolve within a few months to a couple of years. There are numerous accounts online of people developing hyperacusis after using steroids, but the good news is that hyperacusis is considered one of the most treatable tinnitus-related conditions.

That said, I'm quite skeptical of ENTs as well. I endured the discomfort of acoustic reflex and other tests, only to be told I'm perfectly healthy and that my tinnitus is likely caused by stress. Completely clueless.

I had a similar experience. I took a 60mg course of Prednisone, but I tapered very slowly, hoping the tones would go away, so I ended up taking it for about two weeks. I'm now four weeks post-withdrawal, and all the sounds are still there. I really hope some of them start to fade in the next few weeks. The hyperacusis seems to be improving slowly as well. However, I have TTTS from the acoustic shock, so I still experience some pain from impact noises at home. Thanks for sharing.

@delta784, I'm hopeful that we'll both improve with time!

I had a similar experience. I took a 60mg course of Prednisone, but I tapered very slowly, hoping the tones would go away, so I ended up taking it for about two weeks. I'm now four weeks post-withdrawal, and all the sounds are still there. I really hope some of them start to fade in the next few weeks. The hyperacusis seems to be improving slowly as well. However, I have TTTS from the acoustic shock, so I still experience some pain from impact noises at home. Thanks for sharing.
You'll be fine. From what I understand, Prednisone can affect the brain's neurotransmitters, so it might take some time for things to settle. Four weeks is a short time; improvements are usually more noticeable month by month.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now