Tinnitus Is the Worst Problem I've Ever Encountered!

JudyM

Author
Jul 23, 2019
Maryland
Tinnitus Since
05/2019
Cause of Tinnitus
unknown
I am very thankful to have found this site. I don't get much hope for brighter days anytime soon, but I can see there is a great support group here that really care about each other❤️. I am not quite sure what has caused my tinnitus. There is much about it I just don't understand. It started for me as intermittent noise back in May of this year, 2019.

I knew it wasn't normal so I made an appointment with an ENT. The appt was mid July. I was still experiencing intermittent tinnitus symptoms, only occasionally. The ENT told me it was usually due to hearing loss and sent me to anothe room to have a hearing test.

After the test, I saw the ENT again. He smiled and said, you are hearing rather well, you will probably never need hearing aids. I had some hearing loss at very high decibels only. I said what about the noise? He said, play some nicer sounds to drown it out and check with your GP about your meds to see if something could be causing it.

Well bottom line is I left his office after having the hearing test and I have had a very high pitched tone blasting in my head ever since! I am convinced the hearing test caused my blasting tinnitus. It went from intermittent to constant. Has anyone ever known this to happen?

Thxs for any support.

The ENT told me it was usually due to hearing loss and sent me to anothe room to have a hearing test

HI @JudyM

Although hearing loss is often associated with tinnitus the most common cause is exposure to loud noise. Typically, it is listening to music through headphones at too high a volume that causes it or attending clubs and concerts where loud music is played. If the answer is yes to one or both of my suggestions then it's almost certain your tinnitus is noise induced. I therefore advise you not to listen to music through headphones even at low volume for around 3 months. I usually advise people if their tinnitus is noise induced never to use headphones again but it's your choice.

Please click on the links below and read my articles on tinnitus that you might find helpful.
All the best

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/new-to-tinnitus-what-to-do.12558/
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

... I said what about the noise? He said, play some nicer sounds to drown it out and check with your GP about your meds to see if something could be causing it. Well bottom line is I left his office after having the hearing test and I have had a very high pitched tone blasting in my head ever since! I am convinced the hearing test caused my blasting tinnitus...

This seems very unlikely. I had a test recently and although the tone is quite loud it's nowhere near the level to cause damage to hearing. ENTs are not idiots, they are hardly going to blast peoples ears with tones at damaging levels. After the test I did notice my Tinnitus more, but that's probably because I was focused on my hearing! Within a few days I was back to my "average noticing" and "average Tinnitus".

The ENTs advice to use nice sounds to distract you from the Tinnitus seems good advice - gentle classical music and good drama on TV are my main distractions. Posting to this forum, I'm noticing my Tinnitus more!

I immersed myself in tinnitus reading over the last 4 months since my tinnitus went mainstream and I also got some hyperacusis (sensitivity to sounds). Here is a quick primer although not complete...

There are a bunch of things that can cause tinnitus.
-noise induced
-drugs that damage your hearing (ototoxic)
-blocked eustachian tubes
-earwax buildup
-infections
-jaw and neck issues ie: grinding/clenching (bruxism) or issues with the neck alignment plus many more
-blood pressure issues
-accidents / concussion
Probably more that I am not listing

When the damage is fresh, some people advise a short course of prednisone. 1-2 weeks at a good strength.

There are also some supplements that are recommended. I take magnesium bisglycinate, NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine), Tumeric, D, B12. Read here about the different things that are recommended.

No headphones or earbuds. No loud noises. Arm yourself with earplugs. Get some good quality foam plugs. Some musicians plugs to have a more normal hearing with them in. A good set of ear muffs. The best I have found are the 3M Peltor X5A. They are the best.

Another thing about earplugs. They say they have a rating of 30dB for example. This is not the amount that they drop the levels of the sound. If it has a NRR 30dB rating, it will drop the dB by 11.5. You take the 30-7 divided by 2. If you use a set of foam plugs with muffs, there is only another 5dB reduction. The most you can get is between 14.5dB and 18dB reduction with 2 sets of plugs. There are 2 ratings. NRR and NSR. The NRR is north american, and the NSR is UK. The NSR is 6dB higher than the NRR. So NRR 30 would be NSR 36.

To recap earplugs, the forumla for NRR 30dB plugs is 30-7 / 2 = 11.5dB reduction. + 5 for a second good set.

The most you can reduce with plugs is somewhere between 14.5dB and 18dB reduction with 2 sets of plugs.

This means everything is too loud and hearing protect falls short after 90dB exposure. Everyone is going deaf...

Street noise can be 125dB.

So there is much to learn. The ear docs are good but you should take charge of your own hearing health because there is not much out there right now.

Soon there may be some amazing new treatments that will regrow the hairs in your cochlea and improve your hearing and hopefully cancel out the tinnitus. But that's a few years away yet.

Good luck and good healing.

I am very thankful to have found this site. I don't get much hope for brighter days anytime soon, but I can see there is a great support group here that really care about each other❤️. I am not quite sure what has caused my tinnitus. There is much about it I just don't understand. It started for me as intermittent noise back in May of this year, 2019.

I knew it wasn't normal so I made an appointment with an ENT. The appt was mid July. I was still experiencing intermittent tinnitus symptoms, only occasionally. The ENT told me it was usually due to hearing loss and sent me to anothe room to have a hearing test.

After the test, I saw the ENT again. He smiled and said, you are hearing rather well, you will probably never need hearing aids. I had some hearing loss at very high decibels only. I said what about the noise? He said, play some nicer sounds to drown it out and check with your GP about your meds to see if something could be causing it.

Well bottom line is I left his office after having the hearing test and I have had a very high pitched tone blasting in my head ever since! I am convinced the hearing test caused my blasting tinnitus. It went from intermittent to constant. Has anyone ever known this to happen?

Thxs for any support.

I've had it happen with an MRI scan, but I can't speak for a hearing test. No idea how loud they are.

I've had it happen with an MRI scan, but I can't speak for a hearing test. No idea how loud they are.
The part where they actually test your hearing is not loud, however, tympanometry is really loud and I say avoid that one.

Some people do think it's the hearing test that caused their T, but it's unlikely that it is, unless the audiologist screws up and blasts your ear with very loud noises. You would know if you were victim of an acoustic trauma during the test. The tones are meant to be barely audible, so they are unlikely to be loud, especially if you have good hearing.

thxs for replies.

I will say this only. Maybe the hearing test (did have the tympanometry at the same time) was not the cause of the tinnitus per say but it did cause it to increase to the level of being excruciatingly loud and constant...never convince me otherwise. It was like "the straw that broke the camels back".

Thanks "Earing" for all the good advice. Already right away have purchased Eargasms high fidelity earplugs....made a world of difference in loud restaurants. I'd be interested to know doses on those supplements you are taking. I love music but I have rarely ever used earphones to listen to music....just turn up the stereo in the house or car but not extremely loud...or I didn't think so.

I am trying my best to take charge of this situation but the guidance I have found in the medical field has been unfortunate at best. I do think tinnitus is very misunderstood by my GP and even the ENT I saw who seemed to downplay it. I did insist on having an brain MRI and CT of the temporal lobes which seems fine for anything that could be causing these sounds. I do have an upcoming appt at Johns Hopkins ENT with an otolarngolist hopefully he can advise me of where to go next. During the meantime I am doing a lot of research as is all.

I did insist on having an brain MRI and CT of the temporal lobes which seems fine for anything that could be causing these sounds. I do have an upcoming appt at Johns Hopkins ENT with an otolarngolist hopefully he can advise me of where to go next. During the meantime I am doing a lot of research as is all.

I just saw an ENT this morning, in fact, the third one I've seen in as many months, but didn't really get anywhere as he said my tinnitus will never go away. He also said he has loud tinnitus in both ears for the past 15 years and just ignores it. I love how flippant people can be about your suffering just because they've been able to habituate. But I digress...

The reason for my reply is that he did say in order to find a tumor they must use contrast during the MRI. So I wanted to point that out just in case you weren't aware.

There are also some supplements that are recommended. I take magnesium bisglycinate, NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine), Tumeric, D, B12. Read here about the different things that are recommended.
thxs for all the time it took you for this reply. Wondering what dose of these supplements do you suggest? Already started the Slo Mag, Tumeric, D and a B complex though my dosage may be off. Judy

The reason for my reply is that he did say in order to find a tumor they must use contrast during the MRI. So I wanted to point that out just in case you weren't aware.
thxs for pointing this out...I don't know why, other than cost, they don't just routinely do contrast if they are looking for something then.

thxs for pointing this out...I don't know why, other than cost, they don't just routinely do contrast if they are looking for something then.

I think it depends on WHAT they are looking for whether contrast is needed. And please read up on the contrast they use. Not to scare you, but I haven't heard good things about the stuff. My ENT blew off my concern about that though.

I am growing to hate ENTs because they really don't help all that much, plus they NEVER give you hope when it comes to tinnitus. It's always - you have it forever, deal with it.

the hearing test (did have the tympanometry at the same time) was not the cause of the tinnitus per say but it did cause it to increase to the level of being excruciatingly loud and constant...never convince me otherwise. It was like "the straw that broke the camels back".

Hi @JudyM -- I absolutely believe you! -- I've seen other accounts on this forum where people had a their tinnitus caused or increased by a hearing test. If our ears are in a vulnerable state, it's easy for me to see how this can happen. Given the accounts I've heard about, it's doubtful I'll ever have a hearing test. My tinnitus was not noise induced, and I've long believed my hearing was more acute than most people's.

I am trying my best to take charge of this situation but the guidance I have found in the medical field has been unfortunate at best. I do think tinnitus is very misunderstood by my GP and even the ENT I saw who seemed to downplay it.

Kudos to you for this proactive approach. I am in complete agreement with your sentiments on what the medical field has to offer, and even ENTs, who you would think would know more than they do. Unfortunately, almost all of these people speak with great authority, when in reality, their understanding of many things are quite lacking. It's all in your favor that you've recognized this early on!

Given your approach, this may not even be necessary to mention, but I'll do so anyway. Seriously question any recommendations that are made to you when it comes to various therapies, especially drugs. Many doctors will say that various things they recommend cannot harm you, but the absolutely can--and often do. Before taking any drugs, I'd advise just doing a quick online search, such as Benadryl and Tinnitus, or Prozac and Tinnitus, etc. Just like a hearing test, seemingly benign drugs can be a real problems for vulnerable ears.

Since you don't know the cause of your initial tinnitus, I think I'll leave you with a link to an interesting story. THIS POST describes how a man from London got rid of his tinnitus after 14 years by using Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). -- Wishing you the very best as you navigate your way over these tricky waters. But you seem to be the kind of person that will do well, as you seem determined to leave no stone unturned. -- All the Best!

Hi @JudyM -- Seriously question any recommendations that are made to you when it comes to various therapies, especially drugs. Many doctors will say that various things they recommend cannot harm you, but the absolutely can--and often do. Before taking any drugs, I'd advise just doing a quick online search, such as Benadryl and Tinnitus, or Prozac and Tinnitus, etc. Just like a hearing test, seemingly benign drugs can be a real problems for vulnerable ears.

I wish I had done that. I thought by asking the dr multiple times about side effects that I would get the right answer. How wrong I was!!! And am i regretting it now!!!

GPs it seems know little about side effects.

Tinnitus can afflict us and change our lives, that's for sure. We need to come up with a game plan, routine that will help us live with our affliction. I highly suggest that those that suffer communicate with a person that cares for them face to face. Express how you feel and gain support. Forums are great but nothing compares when we talk it out.

I suggest that we possibly track our habits and see what helps us. Many different factors can cause tinnitus, cause spikes and possibly increase new baselines.

protect your ears,avoid loud places and avoid negative people that do not support you. Tinnitus is a day by day ordeal, take baby steps and try things that will help cope/manage and live with your tinnitus.....

Given the accounts I've heard about, it's doubtful I'll ever have a hearing test.
Thanks for your support and believing me as it seems you are one of a few. I am curious to know what caused your tinnitus? I read somewhere you had Lyme's. I too had a terrible reaction to a tick bite in 2016. It just so happens that tick was on top of my left ear..bad reaction and did test positive once at that time for Lyme's but other tests were negative. Didn't send blood to California for testing after many fellow friends who did go down that road discouraged me. After developing this tinnitus one of test that was done was for Lyme's antibodies which was negative, but then again I am wondering how accurate these tests are. Brain MRI also suggested pursuing Lyme's as there were a couple similarities in bright lesions. Gosh...all this is a nightmare to navigate

thxs for all the time it took you for this reply. Wondering what dose of these supplements do you suggest? Already started the Slo Mag, Tumeric, D and a B complex though my dosage may be off. Judy
I am not the best for that. I understand if you take too much magnesium it will start acting as a laxative, so there is that... I take supplements in the morning after breakfast and at night after supper. I take 2 NAC 600 per day, 4 magnesium, and 4 turmeric, 2 D3 and 2 B12.

What is Slo?

But if you find out anything else let me know. I remember someone mentioned zinc...

thxs for replies.

I will say this only. Maybe the hearing test (did have the tympanometry at the same time) was not the cause of the tinnitus per say but it did cause it to increase to the level of being excruciatingly loud and constant...never convince me otherwise. It was like "the straw that broke the camels back".

Thanks "Earing" for all the good advice. Already right away have purchased Eargasms high fidelity earplugs....made a world of difference in loud restaurants. I'd be interested to know doses on those supplements you are taking. I love music but I have rarely ever used earphones to listen to music....just turn up the stereo in the house or car but not extremely loud...or I didn't think so.

I am trying my best to take charge of this situation but the guidance I have found in the medical field has been unfortunate at best. I do think tinnitus is very misunderstood by my GP and even the ENT I saw who seemed to downplay it. I did insist on having an brain MRI and CT of the temporal lobes which seems fine for anything that could be causing these sounds. I do have an upcoming appt at Johns Hopkins ENT with an otolarngolist hopefully he can advise me of where to go next. During the meantime I am doing a lot of research as is all.
Here is a post I made in another thread:

I am a musician and I have been using 20 dB musician's plugs thinking I was getting a 20dB reduction, but in fact it is only 6.5dB reduction. I have been compiling a list today of the different musician's plugs and have found most are hiding their NRR ratings and claiming higher ratings, or stating a NSR (UK rating 6 dB higher number than NRR) or just flat out lying about their claims. Here is my list so far:

Earpiece NRR 19 / 14 / 11
https://www.amazon.com/EarPeace-Con...EarPeace&qid=1566837689&s=gateway&sr=8-4&th=1

Vibes (shark tank) 15 NRR
https://www.amazon.com/Vibes-High-F...ords=EarPeace&qid=1566837689&s=gateway&sr=8-7

Eargasm NRR 16 (says it's 21 though) liars
https://www.amazon.com/Eargasm-Musi...EarPeace&qid=1566837689&s=gateway&sr=8-9&th=1

Eardial NRR 11
https://www.amazon.com/EarDial-HiFi...rds=EarPeace&qid=1566837689&s=gateway&sr=8-10

Earasers Earplugs NRR 5 (Says 19 peak) NRR 16 (says -31dB peak)

LiveMus!c HearSafe Earplugs NRR 29dB NRR 23dB
https://www.amazon.com/HearSafe-Ear...87I8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

EarPeace NRR 11 / 13 / 20
https://www.earpeace.com/products/earplugs?variant=43678845124

EarDefense no NRR rating they say 27dB and 23dB, so at best 21dB and 16dB

The LiveMus!c HearSafe Earplugs have the highest ratings so far (if it is true) at NRR 29dB = 11dB reduction.

Also remember the bass frequencies do not get stopped by earplugs or earmuffs.

The Eargasm are rated at NRR 16dB. Using the formula they are giving you a 4.5dB reduction. This is not much if you get hit by something large. They say their plugs are 16 but they feel they are more like 21. BS. They are 16 if they are rated NRR16.

I bought the LiveMus!c Hearsafe plugs last week, but they haven't arrived. I use Doc's Proplugs (not on the list) which offer NRR20dB, which is 6.5dB reduction. Not much either but still good for shopping, driving etc.

these are the ear plugs I purchased and I have already worn them a few times in loud settings but then every place and even small sounds are so loud for me right now.

This is some helpful information you have compiled. I am sure it will help a lot of people. Since you are a musician it is super important for you to protect your ears from noise....that's got to be tough. Has your tinnitus been improving with the supplements you have been taking? Did you take the prednisone, I have seen many posts advising that in early stages but no doctor I have been to has said a thing about that as an option.

these are the ear plugs I purchased and I have already worn them a few times in loud settings but then every place and even small sounds are so loud for me right now.

This is some helpful information you have compiled. I am sure it will help a lot of people. Since you are a musician it is super important for you to protect your ears from noise....that's got to be tough. Has your tinnitus been improving with the supplements you have been taking? Did you take the prednisone, I have seen many posts advising that in early stages but no doctor I have been to has said a thing about that as an option.
For me it is the hyperacusis that is the problem. I went to see a band play at a small pub. I found it loud. My buddy said it was not loud. I am working on band with him. I hope I can play in about 4 months, but unless something changes I most likely will not. Everything over 75-80dB seems loud. The drummer was really loud.

My t is maybe less, maybe more, maybe the same. I did have some almost quiet moments early on, but not knowing what I know now about earplugs and dB and everything I ran some equipment with double protection, but it caused issues. Of course it would, 110dB line trimmer with 25dB muffs and foam plugs was only giving me 9 + 5 = 14dB reduction. So I was running for an hour at 110 - 14 = 96dB. After that I took the prednisone. I think it may have helped, but not enough to make it disappear.

Overall though I am much better. Thank you asking. I can drive my car, listen to the radio do lots of stuff without wincing. I do wear plugs most of the time when I am out. But will I ever be able to sit in a club with a band playing, or any number of activities that expose me to louder noises I am not sure. I doubt it.

am growing to hate ENTs because they really don't help all that much, plus they NEVER give you hope when it comes to tinnitus. It's always - you have it forever, deal with it.
I just wanted to say I agree with you totally. I felt my trip to Hopkins to their ENT dept was also a waste. The Otolaryngologist I saw basically insisted I had tinnitis due to hearing loss although said I was hearing quite well except at high decibels. Told me he too had tinnitus for 10 years and I would eventually be able to put the noise in the background. I asked him if he had hyperacusis like I did and he said fortunately no, but he's still giving me advice based on his tinnitus experience which I am not sure is the same as mine. He says to wear headphones and listen to music that is below your tinnitus sound, daily for an hour or so..however long you want he said. He says eventually as your brain tries to listen to the music, the brain will quieten the tinnitus tone you are hearing. He also advices listening to something at night like a sound machine at a lower volume than your brain noise. Then of course not a bad idea to wear earplugs in loud places...which I've found to be a must. Anyway, he played it all down...but was a nice guy.

I just wanted to say I agree with you totally. I felt my trip to Hopkins to their ENT dept was also a waste. The Otolaryngologist I saw basically insisted I had tinnitis due to hearing loss although said I was hearing quite well except at high decibels. Told me he too had tinnitus for 10 years and I would eventually be able to put the noise in the background. I asked him if he had hyperacusis like I did and he said fortunately no, but he's still giving me advice based on his tinnitus experience which I am not sure is the same as mine. He says to wear headphones and listen to music that is below your tinnitus sound, daily for an hour or so..however long you want he said. He says eventually as your brain tries to listen to the music, the brain will quieten the tinnitus tone you are hearing. He also advices listening to something at night like a sound machine at a lower volume than your brain noise. Then of course not a bad idea to wear earplugs in loud places...which I've found to be a must. Anyway, he played it all down...but was a nice guy.
I had a similar experience during a visit with an Otolaryngologist at the tinnitus center of a major NYC hospital. He had tinnitus, and tried every remedy under the sun, to no avail. Seeing a highly respected surgeon with intrusive tinnitus, who performs very intricate ear, head, neck, brain, etc. surgery on a regular basis. This caused me to realize that if he can do this, there is definitely hope for the rest of us, as far as dealing with our tinnitus. At present, I am very skeptical of herbs, supplements, concoctions imported from the Far East, etc. - none have ever been shown to reduce or eliminate tinnitus, in controlled tests. If they did work, we'd certainly know about it. Good luck, better days are coming.

I am very skeptical of herbs, supplements, concoctions imported from the Far East, etc. - none have ever been shown to reduce or eliminate tinnitus, in controlled tests.

The reason they don't do controlled tests is because there's no big money to made from doing so. Doesn't mean that a lot of these things haven't helped a good number of people who've tried them. If seemingly simple things like coffe or sugar can cause major spikes (I don't believe any studies done on that), then why can't seemingly simple herbs or supplements help in some cases. It stands to reason anecdotal reports of such improvements are worth consideration.

BTW, I just discoverd that gently massaging an area in my mouth behind my widom teeth sites is consistently greatly reducing or elimininating chronic ear pain(s). I doubt if there will ever be any controlled tests done on that, but if it works for me, it just might work for others as well. -- I'm always open to things that are low-risk and/or low cost. What do we have to lose? It seems like about 1 out of 10 things end up helping me at least somewhat in some manner. And then there's a few that end up being big payoffs. But a person normally doesn't find them unless they are diligent in leaving no stone unturned.

I had a similar experience during a visit with an Otolaryngologist at the tinnitus center of a major NYC hospital. He had tinnitus, and tried every remedy under the sun, to no avail. Seeing a highly respected surgeon with intrusive tinnitus, who performs very intricate ear, head, neck, brain, etc. surgery on a regular basis. This caused me to realize that if he can do this, there is definitely hope for the rest of us, as far as dealing with our tinnitus. At present, I am very skeptical of herbs, supplements, concoctions imported from the Far East, etc. - none have ever been shown to reduce or eliminate tinnitus, in controlled tests. If they did work, we'd certainly know about it. Good luck, better days are coming.
That doctor sounds awesome. Please send him a thank you card on behalf of all of us. A gem amongst the masses, a real hero.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now