Tinnitus Memory Is in the Hippocampus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Nick47, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      What is the role of the hippocampus and parahippocampal gyrus in the persistence of tinnitus?

• Informative Informative x 4
    2. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Once tinnitus occurs, usually due to damage to the inner ear, signals from the inner ear to the brain create the tinnitus that we hear. These are at the synaptic connection level within the brain. I know of no science that relates tinnitus to memory. It's obviously in real time, since real time events like too much noise in our environment will trigger an increase in tinnitus.

3. CricketEars

CricketEars Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2003
      So why is it that when the auditory nerve is cut, the ringing doesn't stop?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    4. BB23
      Insomnious

BB23 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics and mirtazapine
      Maybe because cutting the auditory nerve doesn't restore the lost potassium channels and the broken filtering mechanisms controlled by dopamine, serotonin and GABA, maybe because it doesn't reduce the hyperactivity of the neurons, or because it doesn't restore the lost GABAergic interneurons, or help with TMJ/posture related issues, or fix vitamin deficiencies like B12. Take your pick.

Pulling from memory is a thing when it comes to tinnitus though, based on the works of many researchers, so this aspect of our ailment (gift?) that keeps on giving shouldn't be ignored at all...

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      monitor noise trauma at gig
      This is actually not correct. Not every tinnitus is the same.

Dr. Pulec performed 151 cases of cochlear nerve section between 1963 and 1993. Complete relief of tinnitus occurred in 101 patients, worthwhile improvement was obtained in 43 patients and 7 patients obtained no improvement. The case report in his paper is very interesting. Dr. Pulec was not a charlatan. But, he was probably very good at selecting candidates.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      (Smile) Are we in the realm of poetry here?

There is a competing theory out there which maintains that tinnitus is due to some filtering ability in the works that has got itself broken somehow.

Neither theory rhymes... :( But that's not to say that stating them won't bring us a step or two forward.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      That would suck for the patients who obtained no improvement.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Tryn2BHopeful
      No Mood

Tryn2BHopeful Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Escitalopram/Stress/Ultra High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Maybe they had already lost most of their hearing?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Maybe they were already deaf and didn't mind?

10. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe read the paper.

The case report:
      There probably are different types of subjective tinnitus. Acoustic trauma causing specific damage in the cochlea (maybe macro-mechanical?), resulting in inflamed nerves and 'brain' tinnitus like phantom pain because of loss of signal (from cochlea). This would explain why cutting the cochlear nerve could still result in tinnitus. Like when a leg is amputated, not all patients experience phantom pain in that leg.

11. Tryn2BHopeful
      No Mood

Tryn2BHopeful Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Escitalopram/Stress/Ultra High Frequency Hearing Loss
      I am just trying to be optimistic. I believe to have the surgery done, one would have to be pretty desperate, already knowing they would lose their hearing entirely as a result.

12. Note
      Wishful

Note Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      syringing, microsuction
      That's interesting. Are there supplements that help to repair the myelin sheaths?

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. HighleyTall
      In pain

HighleyTall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      B12, but this is probably not going to stop the problem because the cause is still there.

14. dd314

dd314 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma + stress?
      Just the term "tinnitus memory" is an assumptive premise. Are they saying it happens once and then gets stuck, or what? It's all just speculation on their part.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. IYIiKe

IYIiKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxic Reaction to Sertraline and Hydroxyzine
      Whatever helps with MS. Snap, I just realized myelin sheaths and multiple scleroris have the same shorthand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      Possibly Lion's Mane. I've used it for nerve pain myself (neuralgia).

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Pinhead
      Dead

Pinhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If there were immediate cures, multiple sclerosis would be mostly a thing of the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Interesting stuff. I was just researching articles on exactly that treatment situation - sectioning the cochlear nerve with a result that may or may not resolve tinnitus. It also happened during the trial that Dr. Pulec carried out.

Dr. Pulec's results looked stunning, but when we hear stories like the above, one wonders, as you do, whether or not he was just very good at selecting candidates.

I think this idea of whether or not tinnitus remains in the periphery is particularly relevant to the upcoming podcast with Professor McNaugton. I had a brief chat with him some months ago, and translating his work on pain into tinnitus seems to suggest an aversion to the idea that tinnitus somehow "migrates" into the CNS.

That said, clearly, Dr. Pulec's trials and the story of the ATC from LA suggest that sometimes tinnitus does migrate, but then again, sometimes it doesn't. What a conundrum.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I remember your astonishment at the fourfold decrease in tinnitus cited in the paper on electrical stimulation of the cochlear. Then we have the success of cochlear implants and, in some cases, nerve resection. We could throw in Professor McNaughton's work, albeit only preclinical evidence, to support the auditory nerves as a key target in a large percentage of tinnitus patients.

When I spoke to Professor McNaughton last year, he said the findings of the Shore Lab did not contradict his theory but backed it up, fitting in nicely. He means the polarization of auditory nerve cells affects cells in the first part of the brain stem.

Given technology at its advanced stage, I find it hard to accept that these middle ear implants are not already in use. The market for companies like MED-EL and Cochlear worldwide is huge, and they require less surgery than a cochlear implant.

• Informative Informative x 3
    20. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ah, OK, that makes sense. The cochlear implant is also having the same effect I believe, although I've wondered how far upstream those voltages travel and whether or not they're making some difference there.

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I don't know, pal. I do know they've put cochlear implant users in a soundproofed booth with the implant on and tinnitus is sometimes suppressed. So it's not a case of masking or sound therapy. Surely it can only be electrical 'therapy.'

• Like Like x 1
    22. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      Have you all listened to the simulated sounds one would get from a cochlear implant? They are so alien and unlike what we hear with our ears that I would only think it's a last resort sort of thing accompanied by low expectations. The best estimate I could find of the number of people worldwide who had cochlear implants from the time they were first tried in 1961 up to 2019 is 736,900. That's not a lot of people over nearly half a century.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      People have had their auditory nerve cut. They are then deaf, with a 50/50 chance of losing their tinnitus.

I guess you have moderate, fairly stable, non-sound reactive tinnitus?

24. UKBloke
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In the context of the recent discussion here, I think cochlear implants are more about users' anecdotal evidence that they suppress tinnitus when switched on rather than promoting them as a tinnitus treatment per se.

My personal interest in the role cochlear implants might play in tinnitus suppression is more a speculation on what effect the voltage/current is having upstream of the cochlear rather than how a unit may or may not enhance the patient's hearing.

@Nick47, I re-read the referenced Hippocampus paper again. It seems more of an academic overview of existing evidence rather than something that offers new ground. It's also so heavily referenced that I found it a bit too complex to digest. With that said, I thought the following statement was intriguing:

"hippocampus is critical for establishing relationships between visual objects in a scene"

I wonder if it's aspects of this mechanism that feed into Clas Linnman's auditory mirror therapy?